Discussion on posted restaurants

Name: Bonefish Grille

Address: Gunbarrel Road

City: Chattanooga

Contact details:

Details of posting: Generic for the safety of our customers sign. Posted Wed. night to the left of revolving door. Sign came from corporate, so probably the same at all locations.

Name: Bonefish Grille

Address: Gunbarrel Road

City: Chattanooga

Contact details:

Details of posting: Generic for the safety of our customers sign. Posted Wed. night to the left of revolving door. Sign came from corporate, so probably the same at all locations.

I love the name of the street they are on :D

Guest Moody

Scenario from Friday (not sure if anyone has mentioned this restaurant, but I thought that I would bring this up).

I was joining my wife and her family on Friday evening, at Dave and Busters in the Opry Mills Mall. I'm not fond of that entire area, and the parking lot worries me - alot. I've carried into Bass Pro before (they allow it), and carried into Dave and Busters, because we would be leaving when the mall closes, and I had parked all the way across the parking lot. My wife is 8 months pregnant, and I knew that it would take us a little longer to get to the car, because she has to stop every now and then, so I prepared ahead.

I walked into the restaurant, and noticed all of the older signs, stating the obvious (before the law went into effect), about Felony/11-29 for possession of a firearm in an area in which alcohol is served, etc... I thought this odd, because the signs were still up (can they just leave them, or is there an amendment that has to be made?), and went to the front hostess to inquire. Here's the conversation (sorry for this being a little lengthy):

Me: Excuse me, ma'am - I noticed your firearms posting, and wanted to know your carry policy in the restaurant/game room.

Her: What?

Me: Your policy on firearms? The new law has been passed, and I didn't see a posting that prohibited patrons from carrying, but you all still have your old signs up.

Her: Why do you want to know?

Me: (trying to not get off on the wrong foot here) I just wanted to know - I am carrying, and if you have prohibited it from the restaurant, I'll put it in the car.

Her: You have a gun?

Me: (I can already tell that this is going in a direction in which I do not want it to go) Yes. I am carrying. Do you have a policy on it?

Her: Let me get the manager...

Me: Alright, I'll just be right here.

(She gets her manager, yet another "kid", and she comes over to me, walking at an angle, as if we're going to have a problem. I'm already aware of this, because of the coat-tailing by the other employee whom I had spoken with a moment prior. The manager then stands contraposto to me, in a defensive manner).

Manager: You have a gun? Guns aren't allowed! No guns!

Me: I was just asking about your policies, due to the new carry law inside restaurants.

Manager: It's right there (points to old sign) - you can't read the sign?

Me: Actually, that's your old sign - the one that's been here since you opened. There is a new carry law, that allows citizens to lawfully carry inside an establishment that serves alcohol, as long as they do not consume. I'm not even going into your bar area - I just want to join my family in the game room.

Manager: (looking at me like I'm crazy) You can't bring a gun in here (raising her voice, as to draw attention).

Me: (trying to not exaserbate the situation) So you're saying that the restaurant has a policy? That's all that I'm trying to establish, here. I just want to know, because I haven't seen any postings besides the old ones, and there are no new signs up to correspond with this law.

Manager: If you have a gun, you have to leave! Leave!

Me: I do - that's why I asked. I'll just put it in the car.

Manager: You had better - we don't want people carrying guns around here - they cause trouble.

Me: (at this point, I was fine until she mentioned the fact that *all* citizens whom carry guns are looking for a problem) Well - then let me give you some advice - I carry because I'm terrified about the OTHER people in here that are carrying illegally. Should your management team wish to resolve THAT issue, people like me wouldn't have to take time asking questions like this in the first place. Get me?

Manager: There is no one else carrying a gun in here but you.

Me: Sure - tell that to the people standing outside with gang tattoos on their necks, that are in the lobby. Tell me that they aren't carrying. I can SEE it.

Manager: Well...

Me: Exactly...

As much as I hate Dave and Busters, I feel that I'll be forced to go back there to meet with family members, and in the future, I won't carry, or even involve myself in such stupid conversation with someone that has no clue of the laws that directly affect their establishment.

The manager's name was Tammy, or Carrie, or something like that - I just have pretty much forgotten about it, but told my wife that I don't want her over there at 9pm on a weekend night, and that I'd appreciate it if we could make plans elsewhere with her family.

Typical, these days, for someone to immediately object to a responsible citizen (whom was inquiring, on purpose, as to not step on toes) and make an issue, out of nowhere. That's what I get for trying to deal with minimum-wage workers at a glorified Chuck-E-Cheese'.

Guest Moody
The "old signs" you speak of are still required by law, and apply to those that don't have a HCP. 57-3-204(e)(1) Also see this thread

If a place doesn't have a 39-17-1359 sign I'd carry and keep my mouth shut.

Ok - thankyou for the clarification. I forget about those that would carry without the permit (honestly), because they're not ones to question the rules outright.

Guest HexHead

Me: Excuse me, ma'am - I noticed your firearms posting, and wanted to know your carry policy in the restaurant/game room.

As much as I hate Dave and Busters, I feel that I'll be forced to go back there to meet with family members, and in the future, I won't carry, or even involve myself in such stupid conversation with someone that has no clue of the laws that directly affect their establishment.

The manager's name was Tammy, or Carrie, or something like that - I just have pretty much forgotten about it, but told my wife that I don't want her over there at 9pm on a weekend night, and that I'd appreciate it if we could make plans elsewhere with her family.

First of all, why in the hell would you even have that conversation with the hostess etc in the first place? If they aren't properly posted, and I'm not even talking about the correct language, but at least at the entrance, why bring it up looking for trouble? You had to expect that if it's not clearly posted a) the hostess won't have a clue and :shake: given the choice the manager will say "no guns" given the location. That was a conversation that never should have taken place.

And secondly, why would you be "forced" to eat there again? Can't you just say "I don't like that place, let's go somewhere else"? And why wouldn't you carry if they aren't posted at the door?

What am I missing here?

Guest Moody
First of all, why in the hell would you even have that conversation with the hostess etc in the first place? If they aren't properly posted, and I'm not even talking about the correct language, but at least at the entrance, why bring it up looking for trouble? You had to expect that if it's not clearly posted a) the hostess won't have a clue and :shake: given the choice the manager will say "no guns" given the location. That was a conversation that never should have taken place.

And secondly, why would you be "forced" to eat there again? Can't you just say "I don't like that place, let's go somewhere else"? And why wouldn't you carry if they aren't posted at the door?

What am I missing here?

I would rather ask up front, than be asked to leave in the middle of a meal/in front of my inlaws, my nieses, etc... I'm not looking for trouble at all - it's merely having respect for an establishment (enough to inquire about their rules, as I was unsure). I'm not going to carry into an area that I'm unsure of in the first place, or just because I don't care to investigate - that makes me no better than the thugs that hang out in the Opry Mills to begin with...

Being "forced", to me, means obliging my inlaws and dealing with eating there. If it were just my wife and I, I have no problem with saying, "Nope - pick somewhere else, please...", but when they, as a family, make a decision (as a group), I'm not going to be the sore thumb and typicate the "Oh, well if he can't carry his gun in there, he's going to have a problem with things in general" sentiment. I'd rather just oblige and be tolerant of going somewhere, in which the majority (with children) wants to go.

Get me?

I would rather ask up front, than be asked to leave in the middle of a meal/in front of my inlaws, my nieses, etc... I'm not looking for trouble at all - it's merely having respect for an establishment (enough to inquire about their rules, as I was unsure). I'm not going to carry into an area that I'm unsure of in the first place, or just because I don't care to investigate - that makes me no better than the thugs that hang out in the Opry Mills to begin with...

Being "forced", to me, means obliging my inlaws and dealing with eating there. If it were just my wife and I, I have no problem with saying, "Nope - pick somewhere else, please...", but when they, as a family, make a decision (as a group), I'm not going to be the sore thumb and typicate the "Oh, well if he can't carry his gun in there, he's going to have a problem with things in general" sentiment. I'd rather just oblige and be tolerant of going somewhere, in which the majority (with children) wants to go.

Get me?

I think what he, or some, may mean is they aren't worried about violating rules, only the law. So if the place doesn't have a sign posted and you carry, you are not breaking any law, regardless of policy.

IMO if a place has a policy against carry they should take the time to post a proper sign, not me have to take the time to ask them about their policy.

Also as a popular saying on here goes (although not one of my favorite) concealed means concealed, so if you are concealing properly the chances of you being made and asked to leave should be nearly nill.

As far as being "forced"....I do understand that sometimes it's not always your choice on where to eat. Especially if someone else is paying. :shake:

Guest lci419

Not to be an ass, but thanks for potentially ruining a good thing. Nothing personal here, but I'm with Hex a million percent here...why do some guys feel compelled to upset the apple cart? You looked around and didn't see any postings, so KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, YOUR ROSCOE CONCEALED AND HAVE A NICE MEAL. Who cares what their intent (or unstated policy) is? They don't (didn't) have any signs legal or nonlegal, and presumably you didn't have your gun flashing around, so nobody would be any the wiser right? Now I shouldn't be surprised if they start posting.

This reminds me of the saying "Some people are like cockroaches. It's not what they carry off and eat, it's what they get into and ruin."

Guest Moody
I think what he, or some, may mean is they aren't worried about violating rules, only the law. So if the place doesn't have a sign posted and you carry, you are not breaking any law, regardless of policy.

IMO if a place has a policy against carry they should take the time to post a proper sign, not me have to take the time to ask them about their policy.

Also as a popular saying on here goes (although not one of my favorite) concealed means concealed, so if you are concealing properly the chances of you being made and asked to leave should be nearly nill.

As far as being "forced"....I do understand that sometimes it's not always your choice on where to eat. Especially if someone else is paying. :shake:

I understand. I try to be as subtle as I can, because I don't want anyone to know that I'm carrying, or when I am, in any situation, but I honestly figured that with five million kids running around, with concerned parents, that someone was bound to say something and put a dent in our evening - that's the only reason that I asked in general. As for carrying anywhere else - that's no one else's business but mine (if they aren't properly posted).

Forced to eat - yeah... we're a newly-married couple, and although I've known her/her parents for years, I don't want to rock the boat when they have relatives in town (whom I don't know that well). I'd rather just go along with it, honestly.

Guest Moody
Not to be an ass, but thanks for potentially ruining a good thing. Nothing personal here, but I'm with Hex a million percent here...why do some guys feel compelled to upset the apple cart? You looked around and didn't see any postings, so KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, YOUR ROSCOE CONCEALED AND HAVE A NICE MEAL. Who cares what their intent (or unstated policy) is? They don't (didn't) have any signs legal or nonlegal, and presumably you didn't have your gun flashing around, so nobody would be any the wiser right? Now I shouldn't be surprised if they start posting.

This reminds me of the saying "Some people are like cockroaches. It's not what they carry off and eat, it's what they get into and ruin."

Sure thing, pal. Nothing's ruined that already hasn't been (if potentially in the future). You think that my asking for clarification because I was unsure is a bad thing - you're sorely mistaken. It's not a matter of "sneaking a gun in, because they're not properly posted", it's a matter of knowing the policy if unsure of the situation, and exercising common sense in order to attain an answer. In this case - I'd much rather ask, even if it involved having to talk to someone that was uninformed, than to have to contend with a problem in front of my in-laws, and others in the area, because someone reported it to security. I am confident when I carry, and carry properly concealed, but that doesn't mean that someone can't go run and make it known to management, and then we really have a problem... I believe in countering the situation (and being aware) before I try to "sneak" anything in, anywhere.

"Ruining a good thing..." Please... You didn't even know WHAT the policy was to begin with, nor did you know their stance on it. :shake:

Sure thing, pal. Nothing's ruined that already hasn't been (if potentially in the future). You think that my asking for clarification because I was unsure is a bad thing - you're sorely mistaken. It's not a matter of "sneaking a gun in, because they're not properly posted", it's a matter of knowing the policy if unsure of the situation, and exercising common sense in order to attain an answer. In this case - I'd much rather ask, even if it involved having to talk to someone that was uninformed, than to have to contend with a problem in front of my in-laws, and others in the area, because someone reported it to security. I am confident when I carry, and carry properly concealed, but that doesn't mean that someone can't go run and make it known to management, and then we really have a problem... I believe in countering the situation (and being aware) before I try to "sneak" anything in, anywhere.

"Ruining a good thing..." Please... You didn't even know WHAT the policy was to begin with, nor did you know their stance on it. :shake:

I'm with Hex and the rest. Sorry, but if you are too uninformed about the laws at hand when it concerns an actual posting and the "old signs" that, as Fallguy mentioned, still have to be displayed, you probably don't need to be having these types of conversations with wait staff.

It's alot like the saying goes "It's easier to ask forgiveness, than for permission." I assume know you understand what constitutes a proper posting or not. Make your choice to eat there or not, with or without gun. Leave the hostess and waiters, and the like out. Only the store manager/owner is going to make a decision to post so that's better handled through an e-mail. Not standing at the hostess both saying "Yes I have a gun right here."

Just my 2 pennies, but it's not how I would have handled it.

Guest Moody
I'm with Hex and the rest. Sorry, but if you are too uninformed about the laws at hand when it concerns an actual posting and the "old signs" that, as Fallguy mentioned, still have to be displayed, you probably don't need to be having these types of conversations with wait staff.

It's alot like the saying goes "It's easier to ask forgiveness, than for permission." I assume know you understand what constitutes a proper posting or not. Make your choice to eat there or not, with or without gun. Leave the hostess and waiters, and the like out. Only the store manager/owner is going to make a decision to post so that's better handled through an e-mail. Not standing at the hostess both saying "Yes I have a gun right here."

Just my 2 pennies, but it's not how I would have handled it.

I understand your position, and everyone's points as to not "asking for permission", but carrying until someone says something, and I can appreciate the reasonings behind those feelings (I have those feelings as well, when carrying), but for someone to say that I "ruined a good thing", is obsurd. Should anyone from this forum carry into an area, they're at the discretion of the management, regardless, and the establishment's rules. This is an entirely new scenario for many restaurants, and many folks that work in these places just don't know what to do, how to deal, or what happens, should they be confronted (or find out due to a customer reporting) about a carrying issue. Simply trying to avoid the situation by "getting away with it" (as I've taken from several arguments) isn't necessarilly the right way of going about it, either.

Had I known that it was going to be an issue, then I would have just avoided carrying, and left it in the car, but didn't, due to the fact of locale and also not knowing Opry Mills policies, or that of one of the managers until I asked a very valid question.

I'll continue to carry, unless I see a sign posted, but if I have a question, I'll ask - simple as that. I've carried into many places, legally, already, and have felt good doing so, but I can assure you - had a report been issued to *this* particular manager about a firearm on-premesis, the resulting actions most likely would have been more ludicrous than the simple conversation that I managed to have with her. It's as clear as that.

You want to carry in Opry Mills/Dave and Busters - go for it. No one's stopping any of you, including someone whom asked a valid question and "tipped them off", as so many of you have said. Just know that in no way amd I angry/upset about anything said in this thread, but I also do not understand this "sneaking around" issue either. Have a valid question - ask it.

I understand your position, and everyone's points as to not "asking for permission", but carrying until someone says something, and I can appreciate the reasonings behind those feelings (I have those feelings as well, when carrying), but for someone to say that I "ruined a good thing", is obsurd. Should anyone from this forum carry into an area, they're at the discretion of the management, regardless, and the establishment's rules. This is an entirely new scenario for many restaurants, and many folks that work in these places just don't know what to do, how to deal, or what happens, should they be confronted (or find out due to a customer reporting) about a carrying issue. Simply trying to avoid the situation by "getting away with it" (as I've taken from several arguments) isn't necessarilly the right way of going about it, either.

Had I known that it was going to be an issue, then I would have just avoided carrying, and left it in the car, but didn't, due to the fact of locale and also not knowing Opry Mills policies, or that of one of the managers until I asked a very valid question.

I'll continue to carry, unless I see a sign posted, but if I have a question, I'll ask - simple as that. I've carried into many places, legally, already, and have felt good doing so, but I can assure you - had a report been issued to *this* particular manager about a firearm on-premesis, the resulting actions most likely would have been more ludicrous than the simple conversation that I managed to have with her. It's as clear as that.

You want to carry in Opry Mills/Dave and Busters - go for it. No one's stopping any of you, including someone whom asked a valid question and "tipped them off", as so many of you have said. Just know that in no way amd I angry/upset about anything said in this thread, but I also do not understand this "sneaking around" issue either. Have a valid question - ask it.

The restaurant was not posted, you could have carried lawfully. How in the world would they have "found out" you had a gun on you? Either you are open-carrying or your concealment skills are lacking. No one will ever know I am carrying because concealment is very important to me. My department requires off-duty officers to conceal. I do not print and I do not ever have my shirt caught on the butt of my gun. If you are going to carry, don't take it lightly.

Guest Moody

^ EM - by no means do I take carrying lightly, not at all. I'm conscious about where I am, who I am with, and the position of my firearm, without question. What I do worry about, is that while being active (which was my original thought-process) during playing skiball, bowling, etc... that it could possibly be seen. I have never intentionally carried my weapon exposed - no way, no how. What I did worry about, was the fact that someone could see it, make a problem, before I had even a slight chance of responding to the situation (ie: it's seen when I throw the bowling ball).

I am in no way attempting to agree with NOT carrying when allowed - I want to, and believe in doing so whenever possible. What I do see, more than often, is someone making a problem ABOUT someone carrying, and the hassle involved. This was a situation in which I felt that could happen, and thus the reasoning for my question.

By all means - please feel free, all of you, to exercise your rights to carry whenever, and wherever, possible. The only thing that someone can do is bring it up, should they see the firearm, or possibly make a problem (as was my original fear, as stated prior). Don't think that I'm trying to prohibit anyone from exercising their right, please.

The "old signs" you speak of are still required by law, and apply to those that don't have a HCP. 57-3-204(e)(1) Also see this thread.

Just to make a slight correction..the above is right, but the statute sighted is for retail establishment.

57-4-203(k)(1) applies to establishments that sell alcohol for onsite consumption.

^ EM - by no means do I take carrying lightly, not at all. I'm conscious about where I am, who I am with, and the position of my firearm, without question. What I do worry about, is that while being active (which was my original thought-process) during playing skiball, bowling, etc... that it could possibly be seen. I have never intentionally carried my weapon exposed - no way, no how. What I did worry about, was the fact that someone could see it, make a problem, before I had even a slight chance of responding to the situation (ie: it's seen when I throw the bowling ball).

I am in no way attempting to agree with NOT carrying when allowed - I want to, and believe in doing so whenever possible. What I do see, more than often, is someone making a problem ABOUT someone carrying, and the hassle involved. This was a situation in which I felt that could happen, and thus the reasoning for my question.

By all means - please feel free, all of you, to exercise your rights to carry whenever, and wherever, possible. The only thing that someone can do is bring it up, should they see the firearm, or possibly make a problem (as was my original fear, as stated prior). Don't think that I'm trying to prohibit anyone from exercising their right, please.

Ok....let just ask this..

What is it you think may have happened if someone would have caught a glimpse of your weapon while bowling, etc...?

Was it the possibilty of whatever the answer above is and your new in-laws seeing that the reason you asked or would you have asked if even alone?

The reason some say you have "ruined it" for others is because now this place knows they have not legally posted to prohibit carry and now may choose to legally post therefore prohibiting legally carry for everyone instead of preventing carry by just those who may choose to ask.

Again is always good to be respectful or the business owner and his wishes, but he has a legal remedy to make his wished known, he can post a sign, if he chooses not to, then so be it. You are correct in that you can be asked to leave for pretty much any reason, but it doesn't sound like these young people would have told anyone to just leave without a very good reason, at the most, I think 99% of the places would simply ask you to take it to the car.

However I am willing to cut some slack due to the social situation at the time and possibly trying to prevent a scene in front of the family. I assume your in-laws don't know you carry and/or don't approve?

Guest Moody
Ok....let just ask this..

What is it you think may have happened if someone would have caught a glimpse of your weapon while bowling, etc...?

Was it the possibilty of whatever the answer above is and your new in-laws seeing that the reason you asked or would you have asked if even alone?

The reason some say you have "ruined it" for others is because now this place knows they have not legally posted to prohibit carry and now may choose to legally post therefore prohibiting legally carry for everyone instead of preventing carry by just those who may choose to ask.

Again is always good to be respectful or the business owner and his wishes, but he has a legal remedy to make his wished known, he can post a sign, if he chooses not to, then so be it. You are correct in that you can be asked to leave for pretty much any reason, but it doesn't sound like these young people would have told anyone to just leave without a very good reason, at the most, I think 99% of the places would simply ask you to take it to the car.

However I am willing to cut some slack due to the social situation at the time and possibly trying to prevent a scene in front of the family. I assume your in-laws don't know you carry and/or don't approve?

Well, I'll tell you - you hit the nail on the head, as far as what was at the back of my mind...

While I didn't announce it at first (perhaps I should have), my wife comes from a liberal family. Liberal, as not just in "I vote for a certain party because of policy", but liberal, as in whenever something bad is broadcast on the news, or a crime happens, my mother-in-law will announce, "Oh, well it's not THEIR fault - they don't know any better..." or some nonsense like that. My father-in-law is actually a very down-to-earth guy, and actually took me up on an offer to take him to the range (which is great), because he's just not used to firearms. I do not carry into their house, out of respect, and I don't advertise that I carry, nor even speak of it, because I don't want to get into some rigamoroo about their opinion on my carrying legally.

My wife, though, is supportive, and doesn't mind firearms at all, nor does she mind range-time and money spent on ammo.

What I was attempting to do, was to prevent a situation in which my new in-laws, their relatives (aunts and uncles and such, a group of 15 or so), etc... would have a reason to make a problem, should someone see me possibly print (when stretching to pick up a bowling ball, or throwing one), and then start an argument about it, and/or dealing with the embarrassment (not on my part, but on theirs... I just would have taken it to the car and returned to my bowling) of "Oh, Kathryn's new husband is a gun-maniac and brough a firearm to go bowling".

I'd just rather not deal with it at all, but at the same time, didn't want to just leave it in the car, because of my worrying about leaving the mall at night.

But, to answer your question - in the scenario that I was carrying, and was alone (to meet friends, or just needed to walk into the mall to buy something) - I'd check for postings, and then go about my business. No posting, then I'm carrying.

I just wish that I hadn't asked, in hindsight, but was kind of between a rock and a hard place when it came to doing what's right (for me, lawfully), and doing what would not crap all over my in-laws' view of what they thought of the legal carry law (and gun owners in general). It's too bad that this is something that I have to contend with, but it's just that way, and I'm not going to push the issue, or try to make anyone's opinion change.

Ah...I had sort of forgot that it was more than just the wife's parents.

But I totally see your point and with all of that in mind, I can definetly see not wanting anything to come up.

Hindsight being 20/20 maybe the thing to do would have been as you said just carry and not ask and gave extra effort to staying concealed, or simply left it in the car or at home in the first place.

But if you are going to regularly carry in public around your in-laws, it's not impossiable for it to come up just about anywhere you go, not just restaurants that serve alcohol.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I'm not sure what you carry, but I would recommend a J frame in the pocket in situations like this.