Caliber Blabber

Guest icehead

• Administrator
Man, we should totally crosspost this on other gun forums.

This whole 9mm vs .45 thing needs to be examined and debated more.

When I googled "9mm vs .45", this thread was the only hit... We're definitely in uncharted waters here!

I say we ban the next guy who starts a 9mm -vs- 45ACP -vs- 40SW -vs- Phased Plasma Rifle debate around here. :(

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jwb68
You guys have any opinions whether Glocks are better then XDs? :(

They are both plastic and EVERYONE knows steel is much better than plastic...:tough:

Guest Muttling
I say we ban the next guy who starts a 9mm -vs- 45ACP -vs- 40SW -vs- Phased Plasma Rifle debate around here. :(

Everyone knows the Phased Plasma Rifle is burdened with the same curse that I was born with.......Over penetration.

No, they are not the same thing. They do not calculate the same thing. They are not designed to calculate how hard a bullet hits. Neither is more realistic than the other.

Kinetic energy in simple terms is the energy of an object based on it's speed. Momentum is an objects resistance to change of speed (again in simple terms).

KE=1/2mv^2 while momentum (P) is P=mv.

Last I checked, 1/2mv^2 doesn't equal mv; thus, they aren't the same thing.

Your opinion has about as much weight as my opinion, OTOH, more than a few people have been researching this for some time (doc roberts pops to mind). These folks who are trying to find what actually works instead of following the oft repeated myths come to amazingly similar conclusions - handguns suck, long guns rule. The only reason to use a handgun is you can't use a long gun. Given premium expanding ammo, service handguns perform equally well, given FMJ they perform equally poorly. For a handgun, shot placement (given adequate penetration) is the only thing with significant merit.

Given scientific data, the choice in handguns becomes what one shoots the best and what one can shoot effectively weak hand only (the "worse" case).

Is that any clearer?

I would just like to say that I was wrong about ke and momentum being the same thing and would like to apologize. After some checking it does seem that foot pounds and ke are the same thing not ke and momentum, My bad, it has been 25 years since I have given this much thought or sat in any math class and I had it wrong. So sorry. I believe in being big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Although it is painful.:tough:

That being said, I would also like to add that FPE has almost no effect until almost 2000 fp. This is what the old timers called knock down power or shock power. You see it when you shoot a whitetail in the front shoulder and they go down as if you turned them off with a light switch. The wound to their boiler room has not had time to kill them but their central nervous system is disrupted and hence they pile up immediately. A carry gun at best will only generate 400-500 fpe and so I continue to believe as the FBI study I posted concluded, that when it comes to handguns, penetration and size of permanent wound channel are what truly matter.

Again, I would like to apologize for getting things turned around and coming off as an asshat. I'm really not that guy.

• Administrator
I am new to cc and new to the forum. I carry a 38 special because that is what I can afford to carry. I am still learning about the different calibers and types of hand guns. I wanted to start simple and learn.

That's a solid plan.

Guest Ghostrider
That, my friend, is a curse some of us must bear. But bear it with pride. :)

That's too bad. Again, maximum mass and energy expended INTO the target, not THROUGH the target... :rolleyes: