Home shotgun recommendation?

Guest 3pugguy

Guest 3pugguy

Giving serious thought to getting another shotgun for home defense use only. I had one and traded it a while back.

I want something decent but not a bank-breaker`(300-400 maybe, if that seems reasonable - less would be great but reckon I'd get what I pay for) and would like to be able to mount a flashlight.

Also, do you all think a 20 gauge would suffice (if it were just me, I would stick with 12 gauge)? I ask because on sufficiency of gauge from defense range (15 feet or so) I want my wife to be comfortable practicing with it and willing to use it/know she can handle it. And if a 20 (or a 12) what shot do you all recommend?

Thanks much!

Barry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest logicprevails

We have a Winchester 1200 12 ga, 18" cyl bore with flashlight attachment hanging in our bedroom closet. Wife was nervous about shooting the 12 at first, but with law enforcment low velocity 00 buck, she warmed right up to it. Pity the fool that tries to break in on her. I think it was about a $300 gun at a mart a while back.

Hard to beat a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/ 590. I hear the Mossberg Maverick line is essentially the same as the 500 series, might be worth looking into.

Something to keep in mine on the gauge issue; a lot of the 20 gauge shotguns I've handled are noticeably lighter than their 12 gauge equivalent. Some folks say the 20 gauge actually has more felt recoil than a 12.

Guest 3pugguy

Thanks guys for the input. Your recommendations were for shotguns I had read about and really appreciate some actual owner input. Figure a shotgun would be a tad easier to deploy than our handguns.

And thanks on the recoil point, 56fordguy- hadn't thought of that issue! BTW, I had a 56 (with a GT390 from a tbird in it) and 53 ford truck (original flathead 6) as teenager (and a 55 chevy car). Then I went and joined the Navy and well, :rolleyes: happened (not trying to jack my own thread, LOL). Man, I need a time machine...

Barry

Look at a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, you should have no problem finding something in your price range. Even a pre-owned pump shotgun, unless it has been absolutely abused, will be fine.

Maverick or Charles Daly should be fine for home defense use and can be had new for what you want to pay.

I have no problem with 20 gauge for home defense, and you'll probably be looking at # 2 or # 3 buckshot for that use.

If you go 12 gauge, standard HD loads are 00 buck and maybe # 4 buck depending on where you live (apartment, etc.)

The rule of thumb for 20 gauge vs. 12 gauge is that the 20 will give you about 75% of the effective power for only half the recoil. At typical home defense distances, a 20 gauge is more than adequate.

I don't think I've ever heard before that a 20 gauge delivers more felt recoil than a 12 gauge.

With any shotgun, I'd recommend a good Defensive Shotgun training course..............in fact, I know a guy :rolleyes:

Edited by BigPoppa

I won't derail your thread by talking about my old truck. I'd never get back on track. :rolleyes:

I've found used 870s anywhere from 200 to 400 on average, depending on how tacti-fied it is and how beat up it is. The last time I was in a WalMart that sold guns, I think the Mossberg Mavericks were about 270 or 280 or so new.

I like 00 buck for a HD load.

Guest 3pugguy
I won't derail your thread by talking about my old truck. I'd never get back on track. :rofl:

I've found used 870s anywhere from 200 to 400 on average, depending on how tacti-fied it is and how beat up it is. The last time I was in a WalMart that sold guns, I think the Mossberg Mavericks were about 270 or 280 or so new.

I appreciate it. And I understand on the truck; everytime I see one I think back to mine (youth is so wasted on the young).

Thanks again for the info on the shotgun.

I don't think I've ever heard before that a 20 gauge delivers more felt recoil than a 12 gauge.

I've never been able to tell much of a difference, especially with the 20 being worse. However, I have a couple of female friends that swear that the 20 gauge is worse than the 12. :rofl:

Seriously, with your price range, I'd go with an Remington 870, though just about any pump shotgun would do. the 870 seems to be the pump shotty that all others are compared too. That says something.

That being said, I've had good luck with Mossys and Mavericks I think are just Mossys made in Mexico. I've also heard good things about Charles Dailys, though I've never handed one. IF you can find one, a used Ithaca makes an EXCELLENT shotgun!

I just picked up an 870 with the Knoxx Spec Ops NRS stock and it works. Takes the recoil issue out of the equation and also allows you to shorten the LOP for your wife. With a fixed stock, even a youth model, my wife had trouble with the LOP. It will cost about $120 extra but well worth it IMO.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm

18-1158-IMG2.jpeg

Edited by Smith
Guest Phantom6
I won't derail your thread by talking about my old truck. I'd never get back on track. :rofl:

Why in the world would you want to by a used one for that price when you can get a new one for $325-$375? You must be shopping at Gander Mountain for your Mossy Mavericks. I and others Im sure, sell them new all day long for $235.00 or less.

BTW, as far as the recoil issue is concerned, porting the barrel will solve that problem for you as well as eliminate the muzzle flip. As it turns out, I happen to know a guy that can help you out with that. Here's the link: Shotgun Barrel Porting Services :clap:

Guest HexHead
Why in the world would you want to by a used one for that price when you can get a new one for $325-$375?

Yep. My local fav gun pusher has new 870s, all black with the esstended mag for about $350. I've been thinking about picking that one up and loading it with #6 shot.

Guest coldblackwind

I have a 500, and 2 870's (12 ga, and 410), and my friend has a 590. In my opinion, having shot all 3, for hunting you can't ask for better than an 870, but for home defense I'll take the mossy. The 590 is quite a bit nicer than the 500, and worth the extra dough, and if you find a deal on one, you can stay in your price range (my friends was a patrol car gun, cost him $219, still wish I had bought it instead of telling him about it), but the 500 is a great gun too, that's what I use, and they are commonly available for around $200 used. As for the gauge, I'd stick with 12ga. They have pretty good recoil pads on them from the factory, so you don't get that much recoil with any of the 3 as long as you stick with 2 3/4" shells. If you get into 3" it'll rattle your teeth a bit.

I saw a New England Firearms 12g shotgun, already rigged up for HD at Dicks Sporting goods for $212. Dicks is expensive and I'm sure a better deal can be found.

I've not actually shot one, but I fondled it in the store and it was quite solid feeling. I read somewhere that is is a Remmington 870 clone. When I'm ready to buy a HD shotgun, this will definitely be in the top 5 for my choice.

Guest SMZRU275

I just picked up a great deal on a Maverick 88. Going to shorten the barrel some and have a pistol grip order. Just something inexpensive but will surely get the job done.

Guest FiddleDog

I second the NEF Protector Pump. It's built like a tank, and you can spend the rest on shells and range time, to get her comfortable with a 12g. They shoot well, are easy to clean, and take most 870 accessories.

Guest 3pugguy
Look at a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, you should have no problem finding something in your price range. Even a pre-owned pump shotgun, unless it has been absolutely abused, will be fine.

Maverick or Charles Daly should be fine for home defense use and can be had new for what you want to pay.

I have no problem with 20 gauge for home defense, and you'll probably be looking at # 2 or # 3 buckshot for that use.

If you go 12 gauge, standard HD loads are 00 buck and maybe # 4 buck depending on where you live (apartment, etc.)

The rule of thumb for 20 gauge vs. 12 gauge is that the 20 will give you about 75% of the effective power for only half the recoil. At typical home defense distances, a 20 gauge is more than adequate.

With any shotgun, I'd recommend a good Defensive Shotgun training course..............in fact, I know a guy :D

Thanks much. I live out in the country, own our house, have a pack (seven dogs who sleep in the house).

But...lots of things can happen and the shotgun just seems easier to deploy quickly.

I agree on the course and want to take one for handgun and if I get it shotgun. It's the Navy guy in me - I kn ow to get good at something takes training, practice, then more practice..

Thanks again!

s

Guest 3pugguy

OK, many great, things about this forum is not only the amount of practical knowledge, but the willingness of the folks to share it.

So thanks much! I'll take my time and see what I can find.

Have to work this into the budget, as my next purchase I had in mind was a 1911 (gotta have one, although don't know if I will give up carrying my Glock).

Enjoy the rest of this great, almost fall-weather like, weekend (and if a golf fan, GO TOM WATSON - win one for us over 50 guys).

Why in the world would you want to by a used one for that price when you can get a new one for $325-$375? You must be shopping at Gander Mountain for your Mossy Mavericks. I and others Im sure, sell them new all day long for $235.00 or less.

BTW, as far as the recoil issue is concerned, porting the barrel will solve that problem for you as well as eliminate the muzzle flip. As it turns out, I happen to know a guy that can help you out with that. Here's the link: Shotgun Barrel Porting Services :D

I haven't recently priced new 870s, and didn't realize that they were as inexpensive as they are.

As for the Maverick, the price I listed was what I thought I saw in a WalMart up in Kentucky a few weeks ago.

It's nice to know that they're not as expensive as I thought. :D

Guest 3pugguy
I haven't recently priced new 870s, and didn't realize that they were as inexpensive as they are.

As for the Maverick, the price I listed was what I thought I saw in a WalMart up in Kentucky a few weeks ago.

It's nice to know that they're not as expensive as I thought. :D

Same here on prices; seem reasonable for new so I will look at new ones.

I've had my Mossy 500 for several years now. Got about 150 in it. Just last year I bought an 870. Got 225 in it. Shouldn't be a problem keeping within budget. Good thinking about the scattergun for HD. Hard to beat em for that purpose.

Guest Linoge

I use a Remington 870 with a Knoxx recoil-reduction stock and reduced-recoil 00 buck shells.

My wife shot it, and commented that it was not that bad, so I figure she should not have too many problems using it herself if she has to (which was the whole point).

If that is not a concern, a Remington 870 is still an outstanding shotgun.

Guest coldblackwind

My mom is 5'2" and about 120 lbs, and she'll shoot a 12 ga all day, they really aren't that big a deal as long as you stick with 2 3/4", lowbase shells, and brace correctly. Now if you get into 3" shells....well that kinda kicks a bit.