What to do in Nashville

mac12

My wife and I are thinking about going to Nashville for a couple of days. We've been before so we know a little bit about it. She likes to shop(don't all women) and I can tag along with her. We enjoy good eats also. I'm 65 and she is 59 and in good shape for our ages. I'd prefer to remain armed where ever we go. Are there any suggestions of what to do and go see and places not to go. Someone mentioned a restaurant or club in GreenHills that has good entertainment. All suggestions appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ate at Brownstone Brewery last Friday night. It isn't posted, and the food is good. If'n the little lady wants to shop, go to Opry Mills mall. I have yet to see it posted, and it sure beats some of the other dumps. The Opryland Hotel is next door to it, and they tend to have concerts and such at the theatre onsite. The hotel is expensive, but they have a huge atrium with a boat ride through it. General Jackson has dinner-theatre cruises that run $79 each, but there's coupons for buy 1; get 1.

The parthenon is a neat sight. The state museum in the James K. Polk building is very interesting as well. I don't think you need to carry in there, however. Fort Nashboro is kind of neat. I like to visit Gruehn Guitars. Opry Mills mall is o.k. for the shopping, as you can kill some time in Gibson's Cafe or Bass Pro Shop while your wife does whatever it is that women do. The Opry is a sight to behold if you've never been. A walk through the Opryland hotel is worth you time too. A cruise and dinner on the General Jackson would be another possibility. I absolutely love the Country Music Hall Of Fame.

If you like unusual cars, or antique foreign cars, check out the Lane Motor Museum on Murfreesboro Rd. I haven't been in there in a couple of years, but they had lots of classic European cars, lots of motorcycles, and a few European military vehicles. They also had either a US DUKW or Larc (don't recall which one) parked out back, complete with a photo album of them driving this small ship through Nashville. Pretty cool.

For a bit of history visit the Carter House and the Carnton Plantation in Franklin, the Hermatige of course in Hermatige.

FYI The General Jackson cruises are a no-carry zone. The Opry Mills Mall is getting a bit thugish IMO. If you must do a mall go to Green Hills.

Jack's barbecue downtown is pretty good, and last time I looked (last week) they hadn't posted. If you want something different, try Anatolia on White Bridge Road, about 10 minutes from downtown. It's a Turkish restaurant, and they have the best baklavah in town. For Thai, Siam on White Bridge Rd. is also good, and inexpensive. The Gersthaus gets my vote for German food. It's across from LP field. Take the James Robertson Pkwy bridge, then turn right. If you take the other bridge you'll drive in circles. Ok, now I'm hungry.

Guest JHatmaker
If you like unusual cars, or antique foreign cars, check out the Lane Motor Museum on Murfreesboro Rd. I haven't been in there in a couple of years, but they had lots of classic European cars, lots of motorcycles, and a few European military vehicles. They also had either a US DUKW or Larc (don't recall which one) parked out back, complete with a photo album of them driving this small ship through Nashville. Pretty cool.

+1 on Lane Motor Museum, great collection.

If you like beer the Flying Saucer is the place to go. They have 100+ on tap.

-Jason G

Another +1, any beer you could think of...

As far as shopping goes, there's plenty of it:

Opry Mills is huge, and ya'll could always stay at the Opryland Hotel. While your wife shops the mall, you could check out Bass Pro Shops store there. They also have an IMAX theater.

Green Hills Mall has more higher-end stores, and a Cheesecake Factory which is pretty good eats.

And you can always venture out to Cool Springs, there's the Galleria, tons of restaurants, etc.

Downtown doesn't really have as much shopping per se, but lot's of entertainment.

Guest JHatmaker
Drive up the road a bit further and come to Guns & Leather, IMO.

Didn't even think about that, just let the wife drop you off and stay there all weekend. I'm sure they'd let you sleep downstairs. There's a Sonic across the street so you can get your grub on!