Are iphones really "worth" it?

Guest jos2f
Is there anything different about the iphone texting plans? On the at&t site it says "iphone text messaging" as a recommended option. Is there any difference in the unlimited text plan I have now and the "iphone unlimited texting plan"?

-Jason G

Yes... since it has "iphone" attached to its name, they can charge you more :up:

I think it's the same unlimited text plan as you currently have.

Apparently, text messages are not a form of data and thus not included in "unlimited data" plan. I don't comprehend this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MemphisMason: Why do you say there are no other phones that can touch it? The equivalent options are generally just as, if not MORE capable, because of basic features that are restricted by the OS, such as multitasking. The Iphone has been out the longest, and has had the most exposure. Even though Apple CHARGES developers, they have the largest community because of this. I don't think it will be long before the open-source and and more open-environment phones start to pick up to the same userbase and developer capability.

Because that is my opinion after just recently upgrading my phone month to an Iphone 3Gs, and in my opinion there is not a phone on the market that can touch the iPhone. The G1 and fuze are close but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Remember this my opinion and does not have to belong to anyone else.

MemphisMason: Why do you say there are no other phones that can touch it? The equivalent options are generally just as, if not MORE capable, because of basic features that are restricted by the OS, such as multitasking. The Iphone has been out the longest, and has had the most exposure. Even though Apple CHARGES developers, they have the largest community because of this. I don't think it will be long before the open-source and and more open-environment phones start to pick up to the same userbase and developer capability.

Sort of like all those great iPod replacements? Yeah, those worked out well for all who tried them. :D

I got an LG VU because I didn't want to jump on the Iphone band wagon. Well now after 2 LG phones, several tech issues, and a phone that still doesn't work 100% correctly and doesn't do the things I need it to half as well or half as fast as the Iphone, I'll be buying a 3G as soon as I can.

My wife got hers today and it is worth the hype, the cost, etc.

Guest c.a.s.
Sort of like all those great iPod replacements? Yeah, those worked out well for all who tried them. :rofl:

My Sansa E260 has been chugging along for years now with better sound fidelity, more room, EXPANDABLE room, not being tied to a limited number of computers or proprietary program, and half the cost :lol:

My current mobile media machine easily competes with the Ipod Touch in everything but number of programs and size. It's a wee bit bigger, because of a physical kaybard and slightly larger screen.

My Sansa E260 has been chugging along for years now with better sound fidelity, more room, EXPANDABLE room, not being tied to a limited number of computers or proprietary program, and half the cost :lol:

My current mobile media machine easily competes with the Ipod Touch in everything but number of programs and size. It's a wee bit bigger, because of a physical kaybard and slightly larger screen.

Yeah, but the point is that there's no momentum behind any other player than the iPod, and the momentum behind the iPhone is far greater than any other phone.

It doesn't matter that Beta was better than the alternative. :rofl:

Guest SMZRU275

I love mine. I was SUPER skepical of iphones at first, just seeing friends with 100% uselsss apps they paid for. But after getting one, and seeing just how much it can do rigth out of the box, and with FREE apps. I love it.

I have a 3G and got it about 2 weeks ago.

Also having full HTML browser at your fingertips is awesome. (on the unlimited media plan)

GREAT EXAMPLE:

My girlfriend and I both needed to take of some things at the DMV. Since my permit paperwork took no time at all, I went out to the car, got on the .tennessee.cogentid.com/ site, did my registration, so when she wrapped up we drove straight to the range to do my fingerprints. Already in the system by the time we arrived.

Edited by SMZRU275
GREAT EXAMPE:

My girlfriend and I both needed to take of some things at the DMV. Since my permit paperwork took no time at all, I went out to the car, got on the .tennessee.cogentid.com/ site, did my registration, so when she wrapped up we drove straight to the range to do my fingerprints. Already in teh system rady by the time we arrived.

Ha, I did the same thing last year when I got my permit!

Guest SMZRU275
is there a reason why all the iPhones on ebay are ridiculously high?

Might be because they are unlocked phones?

Iphones are actually quite pricey if purchased without signing a 2yr contract when buying.

Guest db99wj
Might be because they are unlocked phones?

Iphones are actually quite pricey if purchased without signing a 2yr contract when buying.

Unlocked so that they will or can be used with any network? I'm assuming it's the same for other phones being "unlocked". For some reason, I didn't think the other service providers networks would support them.

Guest SMZRU275
Unlocked so that they will or can be used with any network? I'm assuming it's the same for other phones being "unlocked". For some reason, I didn't think the other service providers networks would support them.

From what I've heard, unlocked ones can be used on Tmobile or Sprint, but you might not get all the extra features.

I know there is no way to use one on Verizon no matter what you do.

• 1 month later...
I've been lusting after an iPhone for awhile, but I really like Verizon (I've had them for almost 4yrs now and will never go back to Sprint).

After seeing this app, I'm contemplating the switch to AT&T...

madden-iphone.jpg

You could just get the iPod Touch. It's the same thing except no phone, no camera and no speaker. Get the Net on WiFi.

I have been stuck in Verizon contracts and now live in an area with lousy AT&T coverage... so I carry the most basic phone possible and an iPod Touch.

You could just get the iPod Touch. It's the same thing except no phone, no camera and no speaker. Get the Net on WiFi.

I have been stuck in Verizon contracts and now live in an area with lousy AT&T coverage... so I carry the most basic phone possible and an iPod Touch.

True, but when it comes to what goes in my pockets, I'm a minimalist. I couldn't see carrying an whole other device.

Poak, run out to your nearest AT&T store and get you an iphone. I was the OP of this thread and was kinda on the fence about getting one. I have had mine about a month now and wouldnt give it up for anything. It does everything you can think of and the apps are amazing. Some of my friends have Blackberries and they are always asking to see my iphone. And after playing with their BB's there is NO way I would trade my iphone for one. Dont listen to the haters, they are are good as everyone says.

Poak, run out to your nearest AT&T store and get you an iphone. I was the OP of this thread and was kinda on the fence about getting one. I have had mine about a month now and wouldnt give it up for anything. It does everything you can think of and the apps are amazing. Some of my friends have Blackberries and they are always asking to see my iphone. And after playing with their BB's there is NO way I would trade my iphone for one. Dont listen to the haters, they are are good as everyone says.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jason!

I've got 2months (maybe 3, can't remember) left on my Verizon contract, and I think I'll be making the switch. My girlfirend has the BB Storm, but it just doesn't work for me. I think I'm BB illiterate :drool:

I had heard a lot about the awesome apps available for the iPhone, but just recently started actually looking at some... Holy Crap! AND there's even FREE apps available! Verizon doesn't like to give ANYTHING away...

I can't wait for the day that I can buy a single device to replace my cell phone and the 80GB ipod classic (half full right now, all music - I have a lot of CD's) with all the smartphone goodies. Ah well. My sprint phone isn't due for an upgrade for at least another year. We'll see how the whole iphone / pre / android / whatever market looks then.

Im hooked on my iPhone. I have NFL sunday ticket from direct tv and i can watch every game on my phone this season for no extra cost. Some apps are a waste of time. I am very temted to drop the $10 for that Madden 2010 game. I can also stream my XM radio through the iPhone, set my Directv DVR from just about anywhere if I forget to set it up at home.