Best Defensive Round .45 & 9mm

Please supply opinions of what is recognized as the best defensive rounds for the .45 & 9 mm. I'm not looking for exotics such as the Glaser Safety Slug. I know about those. I'm only familiar with TAP, and I know some of the stuff has been taken off of the market in the 16 years I've been out of guns.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave
Please supply opinions of what is recognized as the best defensive rounds for the .45 & 9 mm. I'm not looking for exotics such as the Glaser Safety Slug. I know about those. I'm only familiar with TAP, and I know some of the stuff has been taken off of the market in the 16 years I've been out of guns.

Don't know or care much about the 9mm...but the .45 just in general, any BIG FAT HEAVY SLOW hunk of LED you throw out should do just fine...LOL...knock em down...if they TWITCH hit em again! If you want exotic...a nice JHP should produce a nice HOLE and tear up some internals for ya. :lol:...that wasn't to technical was it?

Edited by mustangdave
LOL...
Don't know or care much about the 9mm...but the .45 just in general, any BIG FAT HEAVY SLOW hunk of LED you throw out should do just fine...LOL...knock em down...if they TWITCH hit em again! If you want exotic...a nice JHP should produce a nice HOLE and tear up some internals for ya. :death:...that wasn't to technical was it?

Dave, you are just a hoot! I want bigger F'n holes! :D

Back in the day, a JHP .45 didn't expand much if at all. I'd think in 1.5 decades they'd have developed something that does expand.

I plan on a Glaser in the tube, with penetrating rounds in the mag in case I miss with the first shot and the person ducks behind cover.

Guest mustangdave

See...there ya go...in the Navy they didn't give us JHP's for our 45's...then they went and changed up and got those dang Berretta's...what a let down. I now have an FNH P40 and a batch of Winchester SXZ JHPs...ran about 6 rounds thru on paper target...LOL...TORE em up bad....you can get the SXZ's in 45 ACP at...shhhh Bass Pro at Opry Mills...$26 a box..the SXZ's are the current version of those evil BLACK Talons

Edited by mustangdave
if ya didn't know....
Guest FroggyOne2

Currently from testing.. Federal HST's are the best defensive rounds on the market right now. Along with the Speer Gold Dot.

Guest tonybon

Yea I know 9mm is not verry big , but i carry the star fire in both my 9's they look like the "evil black talons". I feel very comfortable with these. It may take two rd's of 9 to = a 45 but with less recoil, I can double them up. lol :death:

See the post from timcalhoun that would be helpful regarding 2003 test on .45 and 9mm ammo.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/24370-caliber-blabber-4.html#post323002

Guest mustangdave
Dave, are these L.E.D. bullets sort of like tracers?

Sorry--just couldn't resist that typo. :P

:rolleyes:...that was macintosh short hand...:P

Guest Ghostrider

I use Remington Golden Sabers for personal defense.

Reliable, pretty hotly loaded but not too much.

Expansion is advertised between .61 and .67 caliber in most cases.

I thought I might have issues with the "precut" tips, but so far zero issues.

Don't forget about Doubletap ammo. I have their 9mm, .40 and .45. They are reloads, but I've not had any trouble with them. Their ballistics beat out everything else that I've compared them to, even most Buffalo Bore. Buffalo Bore changed their prices and raised their shipping, so I don't mess with them anymore.

Guest 1shot

Will all those millions killed with a 9mm please stand up you are not dead because you were not shot with a 45.

With a Gold Dot or a Hornady XTP bullet in anything you can't go wrong.

I have been using Taurus brand of .45 defensive ammo. It is centered around a Barnes XPB totally copper bullet. Expansion on the average to .861 and 100 percent in retention of its 185gr weight. Pushing 928 fps. These are out of a 5" 1911.

the last time I saw statistics (it's been a while), Corbon 115gr 9mm had the best one shot stop percentage in a non-LEO only round. I believe it was something around 94%. Federal 235gr Hydroshocks had about a 96% OSS percentage but only in full sized .45's. In more compact .45's, the Golden Saber 185gr was best at about a 94% OSS percentage. These statistics are about 10yrs old and quite possibly have changed but I have lived by it ever since it was published in Guns and Ammo.

Just a word to the wise, those Corbon 9mm's are a little "snappy" if you're not used to them.:D

Guys, I didn't intend for this to trun into a 9mm vs .45 debate. I carry both.

Does anybody know who carries HST in the Nashville area?

Yeah, that's the trick with about any ammo ATM. i usually get mine online from:

- Streichers.com Police Equipment Supply Headquarters - 800-367-3763

or

M.A.H. SUPPLIES LLC.

I don't think I have ever seen a local guy carry any of this. The new Winchester PDX stuff also looks good.