My first "carbine" Norinco SKS

It all started with me helping an older neighbor lady clean out her attic. While I was cleaning out here attic I found a box that had a barell sticking out. As I looked further I figured out what it was. A Norinco SKS. As I said it was just pieces as shown below and I needed to aquire a few more pieces to see if it would even fire.

SKS001.jpg

So then I had to get a gas tube and piston, bolt and carrier and a stock.

I finally aquired everything I needed through e-bay and the Survivors SKS boards.

SKS004.jpg

SKS002.jpg

SKS010.jpg

So I put her all together and racked the bolt a few times and pulled the trigger to hear it go click. BINGO!! I was now in buisness....

SKS011.jpg

SKS012.jpg

My first "mod" actually done was a firing pin. The origional Russian SKS's had a spring loaded firing pin. For some reason the Chinese decided it wasn't needed. 2 problems with that. One, if the firing pin gets dirty it can get stuck causing a "slam fire" situation. Another problem is you can't use soft primmered ammo such as WalyWorld Winchester since the firing pin will slightly tap the following round chambered. Once again causing a possible slam fire. I purchased a "Murry's firing pin" and swapped them out to ensure my chances of a mishap at any range.

SKS013.jpg

SKS014.jpg

Now that the firing pin was taken care of, it was time to actually shoot the darn thing. So I loaded a stripper clip, loaded the mag, and fired away!! All was going my way. Now I needed to make sure I was 922R compliant. :D I purchased a Tapco T-6 stock in black first, but everyone has a black Tapco'd SKS so I traded and went with the "dark earth". I definatly like it better.

New stock:

T-6.jpg

My Bubba'd SKS.......:D

NewImage.jpg

NewImage5.jpg

NewImage4.jpg

NewImage7.jpg

NewImage11.jpg

NewImage10.jpg

NewImage13.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the show.....:eek:

Now in it's current configuration:

Norinco006-2-1.jpg

Norinco011.jpg

Norinco008-1.jpg

Edited by kwe45919
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TurboniumOxide

Yikes, the Ammo is attacking the gun, lilliputian style!

Nice job, the results are impressive. How does it do at the range?

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Ain't it cute ... playing in the grass and such like a little puppy! :stir:

It don't look so... evil? :D

NewImage10.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the show.....:poop:

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I just realized this started out as one of those kind of forum letters....:poop:

forum1_frame_noclick.jpg

jcpenney%2B-%2Bwhite.jpg

It all started with me helping an older neighbor lady clean out her attic.....:stir:
No joke, I'm jealous!

Have you had any problems with the detachable magazine?

No issues, but as with any mass produced mags you can always get a lemon. I used common sense and first pushed down on the follower with fingers and thumbs to make sure nothing was catching then loaded 10 rounds and let sit over night. The next day I took my thumb and pushed each round out to see if the next would spring into place. Since it did, I loaded 15 rounds and did the same thing the following day. With no issues I loaded 20 rounds and let it sit for 2 days, used the thumbs to expell the rounds. With no issues the true test before live fire was to load 20 rounds, insert the mag and pull the bolt back to insert the first round into the chamber. Then, slowly, one by one I would pull the bolt back and allow each round to eject (threw the rounds 4 ft away) and let it slam back into place allowing each round to be loaded. When everything fed and ejected smoothly, I did the same thing except I racked the bolt 21 times as fast and as hard as I could to "simulate" actual firing. Now that my hand was hurting pretty bad, I felt that I could take that mag and attempt live fire. I've done this with my 5 mags and only 1 in 5 had an issue. The issue with it was "flashing" left over from the mold on the follower caused it to hang up. I took apart the mag and fixed the issue.....

Yikes, the Ammo is attacking the gun, lilliputian style!

Nice job, the results are impressive. How does it do at the range?

Ehh....range smange. I know I can pop water bottles at 75yrs and can hit a steel slab at 100yrds standing so it's good enough for me. I'm no sniper nor do I plan on trying to be.:D

But to answer you question, I haven't gotten to a range yet to test MOA accuracy. Maybe one day I'll care enough to take the time and see just how good/bad it shoots.

Congrats!

Did the neighbor give you the pieces, or make you buy them?

She was going to pay me $20 for moving boxes and taking out some trash so I suggested the pieces for payment instead. She still insisted on giving me the $20 but I wasn't planning on taking her money anyways. She's on a very limited S.S. budget and I enjoy her cakes and cookies she makes for the wife, daughter and I so fair is fair. Besides, it was my good deed for the week.

I just realized this started out as one of those kind of forum letters....:poop:

And how else would I be able to relay my lovely story to ya'll......;)

I second that?

See above for first long winded response..........:)

Edited by kwe45919
Guest 1817ak47

looks nice, it's hard for me to even think it is the same gun when a tapco stock is installed, just doesn't seem like a 1946 era designed rifle. I have a yugo m59/66a1 but unmodded whatsoever

looks nice, it's hard for me to even think it is the same gun when a tapco stock is installed, just doesn't seem like a 1946 era designed rifle. I have a yugo m59/66a1 but unmodded whatsoever

If ya have any questions, feel free to ask....:grouchy: