My Maverick 88 shotgun build (PICS)

Guest SMZRU275

Guest SMZRU275

I picked up a Maverick 88 12ga for a good deal. Planned to shorten the barrel and then ordered some new parts for it, and here is how it all when.

maverickbuild1.jpg

The start, off the shelf Maverick 88 12ga shotgun, available at most Walmarts, sporting good stores, and S-Marts.

maverickbuild2.jpg

I know my caliber was a little off, but measuring the inner diameter of the barrel, for rod fitment.

maverickbuild3.jpg

To measure the length correctly, as the ATF lists they do, I bought a piece of PVC pipe to use as the rod the make sure I cut the barrel to a legal length.

maverickbuild4.jpg

Here I marked the PVC pipe with black masking tape. You cock the gun unloaded and put the pipe down the barrel, and mark. This gives you the baseline for your measurements.

maverickbuild5.jpg

The marking ended up being exactly at the 28" mark. Pipe next to barrel in this photo.

maverickbuild6.jpg

There I measured to the 18.5" mark and made a marking on the pipe.

maverickbuild7.jpg

Removing the barrel is simple, just undo the holder at the end of the mag tube, and the barrel slides right off.

maverickbuild8.jpg

Double checking my measurements with the barrel removed.

maverickbuild9.jpg

Where the pipe ends up.

maverickbuild10.jpg

After measuring down the pipe from the 28" marking we do get 9.5" to be the amount to cut. Here I have marked the barrel for cutting.

maverickbuild11.jpg

Set in a vise grip to cut

maverickbuild12.jpg

Went with a hacksaw for cutting

maverickbuild13.jpg

Finished product

maverickbuild14.jpg

I cleaned up the cut with an emery cloth and a Dremel sanding dish. No burs or sharp edges and it completely even.

maverickbuild15.jpg

And now on the parts from ATI

maverickbuild16.jpg

Here is the mounting hardware, different bolts and adapter plates for various manufactures.

maverickbuild17.jpg

To start, removed the 2 phillips head screws holding the pad down.

maverickbuild18.jpg

Removing the pad gains access to the bolt holding the stock on, its a 1/2" socket

maverickbuild19.jpg

Stock removed.

maverickbuild20.jpg

Using the shortest of the mounting bolts (listed for Mossbergs and Maverick 88), mounted the pistol grip.

maverickbuild21.jpg

Then you slide the stock into the back of the pistol grip, then you use an internal threaded shaft and a small screw to secure the stock (seen at the back of the pistol grip) *Note: the stock would not fully slide into the pistol grip at first, the head of the allen bolt mounting he grip was too tall, so I tool a dremel and enlarged the indentation in the stock to fit around the bolt)

maverickbuild22.jpg

And installed.

maverickbuild29.jpg

Stock full extended

maverickbuild30.jpg

Stock full retracted

maverickbuild23.jpg

That part is now, now onto the 5 shot saddle.

maverickbuild24.jpg

The ATI shotforce stock is predrilled for their 5 shot saddle, just pick which side you want the saddle on, and first mount the back plate.

maverickbuild25.jpg

Then there are just 6 small phillips head screws to mount the holder to the mounting plate.

maverickbuild26.jpg

Last part installed was the ATI light mount with swivel stud. This just lines up over the mag tube, and get tightened down with one screw, which doubles as the swivel stud

maverickbuild27.jpg

Just a test fitment light for now. This same part can also be used instead for bracing an extended mag tube to the barrel.

maverickbuild28.jpg

And 100% complete.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crotalus01

Do you know if anyone makes a forward grip for the Maverick 88? I would like to get one on mine but havent been able to find one - all the forward grips I have seen are for the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870...

Edit to add thats a sweet Dawn of the Dead poster in the background.

Edited by crotalus01
Do you know if anyone makes a forward grip for the Maverick 88? I would like to get one on mine but havent been able to find one - all the forward grips I have seen are for the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870...

Mav 88's take mossberg 500 parts

Guest SMZRU275

Edit to add thats a sweet Dawn of the Dead poster in the background.

From what I've read about the Mav forend, its made different and is really the only part that can not be swapped out, bolt on to bolt on.

I finally shot this last night. The stock is pretty unforgiving. Ran 2 3/4 birdshot through it, some 3" slugs, and some 2 3/4 low recoil 00 buck.

Overal really happy with the outcome.

My fried has his 500 up there with pistol grip only, no stock. DAMN that sucker kicks its ass off. But also a really fun gun.

Guest forklift

Great job! I love the Mossberg/Maverick for that reason. Easy as pie to outfit! I've never seen another shotgun that you can undo one screw, give it a half rack and the barrel slides out. That's just pure genius if you ask me.

Guest SMZRU275
Looks good.

I have been shopping around at Pawn shops for an older shotgun that I could cut down. One of the reasons I haven't bought on yet is, worrying what the rib will look like.

No that I see the job you did, I am not so worried about the rib looking horrible.

Yea I was curious how the rib was going to look like, but overall I think it looks just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trarebel13

i went to a gunsmith to get my barrel cut down and he said with the rib it would look terrible and advised me not to. now lookin at the pics i wish i had cut it.