case dismissed

Mike.357

My hearing was this morning and my case was dismissed :P.

I am free and clear and in about thirty days or less my record will be expunged.

I was given two official copies ot the courts findings, one to send to

TDOS so they do not revoke my HCP and the other to keep on my person when I carry or really anytime so some dumb misinformed cop does not try to arrest me for something related to this case.

I am happy beyond belief and feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders.

Can't wait to go shooting in Kingsport this weekend.!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whooo hooo! congrats mike!

heh. I guess when it rains, it pours.

I got a call from my sister in law today..seems there's a warrant out for my arrest in Harker Heights Texas (next to fort Hood) from the year 1995.

The funny thing is, the town of Harker Heights employed a skip trace agency to find me.

I called the number they first gave me and it was disconnected.

13 years ago...

that corresponds with the date I got tickets for driving my truck with expired tags and no insurance (I'd just gotten back from a 6 month deployment and they'd run out.) I had to drive my truck to go get the insurance and take it to the tag place.

SO, I pay the fine, everythings' hunky dory. I get tags and insurance. everythings' fine right?

ohhhhh NO!

Some joker calls me up and says that I owe money for that ticket, which I know is B.S. because I ETS'd from the army at Fort Hood on April 14th, 1996...

Part of clearing the post is to go by the Jags' office and make sure there's NO outstanding tickets/legal stuff that would keep me in Fort Hood or the surrounding areas. You give them your personal information, tell them you're ETS date and they run a check on your license, and check to see if you're wanted for anything.

All I can think of is that with the 2nd Cav and 1AD deployed, the towns are hurting for money and are resorting to this kind of crap. They've done this sort of thing before.

Of course I can't prove that I've paid a ticket from 13 years ago...but I will explain to the folks when I call them tomorrow that I paid my fine..it was a requirement that I have no outstanding tickets/warrants to clear post.

If they don't like that, then I guess I won't go back to Texas..I'll be hanged if I let some hayseed judge Roy Bean wannabe extort money from me.

problem with a restraining order.....

You do not have a clue, and you have no business making accusations about things you do not know about.

I was wrongfully arrested in June on a illegal posession of a weapon charge and the truth came out in court on Thursday.

They do not dismiss cases that have a leg to stand on.

Guest Jason F.

Keeping the copy of the paperwork with you is a very good idea.

I had a situation where the TN dept of Safety kept conveniently suspending my license based on a 10 year old ticket and bogus failure to appear charge. Every once in a while I would get stopped for something minor (once for a light and once for a few miles over) only to get hassled about a suspended license. Finally I had to get someone at a clue with the Dept main office to produce document that stated my license was free and clear with all fees paid. I had it signed and notarized by them and carried it in the car. About 9 months later I had a minor traffic accident and once again the officer found my license listed as suspended. The only thing that got me out of trouble was that paper work along with some other paperwork regarding the reinstatement of my license.

It has been 4 or 5 years now and I check once a year still to make sure nothing has popped up. So far so good and I have gotten lazy about transferring the paperwork from car to car now.

1985, South Carolina, Christmas Eve. I'm headed back to Norfolk, where my ship is homeported. On a bike (yeah, you know it goes downhill from there).

An intoxicated gent in a very large caddy cuts me off by pulling from the median into traffic (4 lane divided interstate). I went from 65 to 0 in about 3 seconds from the time he pulled out. Think Superman commercial - you will believe a man can fly...

Fast forward 10 years - Need my license renewed in Virginia, want to take care of it before deployment aboard USS America. Can't be done - SC has 'suspended' my driving priveleges for driving without insurance. WTF? Called SC DMV, they actually had the records on microfiche, and admitted that yes, I had insurance, it just wasn't from SC. So what, neither was I or the bike... They decided it was their mistake, but I still had to pay $65 to get my driving priveleges back. I was short on time, so went directly to western union and wired the money... came back to DMV next day, called SC, they confirmed to the VA DMV I had paid, over the phone. Got my license.

Fast forward four years... License expiring, needs renewal. Guess what?

Yeah.

State of SC owes me $130. One day, I WILL find a way to collect.

Glad to hear you are squared away, Mike. Keep that paperwork handy! Laminate it!

Shoot straight

Mark

One day, I WILL find a way to collect.

Mark

I still feel that way about a speeding Ticket I got in Maryville back in 1968. Speed limit sign behind the bush thing. Costs me, best I remember about $40. Considering that a quarter in college cost about $500 back then that was a lot of money. I figure with interest that's about what the courthouse is worth.... They still owe me for that and I will get revenge before I meet my maker. Vengeance is mine sayest Marswolf. ;)

• Administrator
I am still a n00b to this board but i think this stems from a problem with a restraining order.....
You do not have a clue, and you have no business making accusations about things you do not know about.

I was wrongfully arrested in June on a illegal posession of a weapon charge and the truth came out in court on Thursday.

They do not dismiss cases that have a leg to stand on.

Whoa Mike. Disney just had your case confused with GregRN's thread which did involve a restraining order and also was just resolved in a satisfactory manner. He wasn't assuming anything or making accusations about you.

Whoa Mike. Disney just had your case confused with GregRN's thread which did involve a restraining order and also was just resolved in a satisfactory manner. He wasn't assuming anything or making accusations about you.

I thought they were connected too. That's why I asked. I thought I had missed another thread that had dealt with the issue at hand. sorry for asking what this thread was about. Congratulations all the same:)

• Administrator
I'm sure, like me, you just wish you had the money back that it required to clear your name. I'm glad you were vindicated as well. ;)

You know, it really does suck that the burden falls upon the innocent party to clear their name. In cases such as this, I think the State should be required to refund the legal expenses incurred.

Just my worthless, rambling opinion.