Birth and Life of a 1911 Ed Brown

DavidCBaker

Here's the tale of an Ed Brown. I spent a couple of months deciding between an Ed Brown and a Wilson Combat, and opted for the former. I've been a little nervous at how few mentions there are of Ed Browns in relation to Combat Wilsons, but I don't mind being in the minority, and I liked how easy it was to customize the order and get exactly what I wanted. Plus, I was very impressed with their customer service and accessibility.

So, here's an account of the birth and life of an Ed Brown. I'll update this thread from time to time.

2009/07/22--After my own research, called Ed Brown and had a long conversation about the options. They patiently answered every question. I settled on an Executive Target with a few options.

2009/07/23--Called that morning with my order, and Renea promised an email with a confirming PDF that same day. It did indeed arrive, and I signed the order and included a check, all sent to Perry, MO.

2009/07/27--Renea called explaining that there was a mistake on the order than neither of us caught. Namely, you can't combine a bobtail and a maxi-well. Duh. She asked if I wanted a refund of the difference. I said no, just throw in an extra mag or two.

2009/07/31--After three nights of inefficient perusal of VZ Grips' website, I knew what I wanted. Called Candi and she took the order. They said they'd need two-three weeks, but it didn't take that long. Anyway, at least when the gun arrives, I'll have the grips all ready.

2009/08/07--Grips arrive. They look great.

grips.jpg

2009/08/10--Via email, I receive a "proof" of the gun. I wasn't expecting one and didn't even know they did that, but it's like seeing an ultrasound of your baby, I guess. :P Not really, but it's cool to see the serial number in place and see the machining artifacts.

proof.jpg

Stay tuned....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, I check on prices, and the amount I would have saved didn't seem worth the hassle of the go-between, since there were so many custom issues. Maybe I should have done some more thorough checking, like called you all. Oops.

Nah. Its cool, I was just curious.

Sounds like you have a great gun in the works.

We seem to be selling Browns to Nighthawk/Wilson 4 to 1 and I dont think you can go wrong with the Exec Target.

That's an interesting serial number. Did you request that?

Yes. My initials are DCB, or 432 in terms of alphabet positions. But I didn't want to put anything on it that a buyer (if I ever sold it) would make the gun not their own, so I came up with that. My initials are hidden in there, but anybody else wouldn't see that.

Plus, I liked the ring of:

five-four-three-two-one-bang :rofl:

Guest JHatmaker
Yes. My initials are DCB, or 432 in terms of alphabet positions. But I didn't want to put anything on it that a buyer (if I ever sold it) would make the gun not their own, so I came up with that. My initials are hidden in there, but anybody else wouldn't see that.

Plus, I liked the ring of:

five-four-three-two-one-bang :rofl:

Very cool

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

"Hello, Justin. This is David Baker."

"Hello, Mr. Baker. Sorry about that cryptic message on your phone. I wasn't sure if it was okay that someone knew you ordered a gun."

"Oh, no problem. She likes guns too!"

"Anyway, I see that you ordered a black trigger, and it's the only thing on the gun that's black. My boss asked me to call you to make sure that it wasn't a mistake."

"No mistake. I'm doing something a little experimental. On the other hand, if I don't like it, what are my options?"

"You can send it back, and it's just $20 for the new trigger and $20 for labor."

"Let's go for it then."

• 2 weeks later...