Tennessean article by Randy Rayburn

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

Have you seen the article by Randy Rayburn in today's (8-16-09) Tennessean? Boy, does this guy hate guns, or what!

Anyway, to quote him in the article, "That is in addition to the three shootings in restaurants this year by permit carriers in Tennessee, according to recent research by the Knoxville News-Sentinel."

Have I been in a coma or something? Granted, I don't keep up with local news the way I used to, but how did three shootings involving Tennessee HCP holders this year elude me?

I'd sure like to be enlightened about these shootings I've not even heard about, but more than THAT, I'm really curious, too, why these three shootings were not trotted out as evidence during all the debate over the Restaurant Carry bill. Seems to me the Tennessee would have been reminding us of these shootings every day for about a month!

Sorry if all of this is common knowledge. If so, I'll just ease back into my coma again.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

I'd sure like to be enlightened about these shootings I've not even heard about, but more than THAT, I'm really curious, too, why these three shootings were not trotted out as evidence during all the debate over the Restaurant Carry bill. Seems to me the Tennessee would have been reminding us of these shootings every day for about a month!

Simple. Rayburn is a LIAR.

Guest mikedwood

Seems like Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville's papers hate guns very much while at the same time reporting little of any value about anything.

Sent an email to KnoxNews asking for verification of the statement attributed to them.

Would be interesting that, if true, all incidents occurred in restaurants that did not serve alcohol. It would make his assertion completely irrelevant. It might also explain why a search of KnoxNews.com couldn't find the info and why it was never brought forward against the new law.

I went to the Knoxville News Sentinel website and got these results for the search term "restaurant shooting":

knoxnews.com Site Search | Knoxville News Sentinel: Local Knoxville, Tennessee News Delivered Throughout the Day.

Your news search results for: "restaurant shooting"

Showing 2 of 2 results, ordered by date

Stories

1. Teen driver at West Knox restaurant shooting gets probation
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 | Updated Wednesday, June 24, 2009
    ... tness in the May shooting of a man in the ... a West Knoxville restaurant. Dyron Isom p ... riggerman in the shooting. Bearden High ... a gun or how the shooting started. Garrett ...

Showing 1-1 Stories of 1 for "restaurant shooting"

Photos

1. 0101shooter1_t120.jpg
    December 31, 2007
    Photo by J. Miles Cary
    Captain Gary Holliday gives an update on the Hooters restaurant shooting at a press conference on Monday at the Knoxville Police Department. He confirmed that David Rudd, 25, the suspect in the fatal shooting at Hooters, was shot and killed by Knoxville Police officers on Sunday night at Western Plaza.

Showing 1-1 Photos of 1 for "restaurant shooting"

The first article references a 16-year-old (how did he get a permit?); the other is a story from 2007.

Perhaps Randy is channeling an alternate universe?

There were 2 in Memphis where both shooters had permits this year.

What kind of shootings? Murder or SD? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't try to paint SD shootings as murders by just saying 2 shootings in the Memphis area by HCP holders.

I knew there were two shootings there last year, but I didn't think either was at a restaurant.

Matthew

Guest Ravendove

I tried my hardest to find the stories he was referencing. I've been looking all day and I can't find a single one. I did find a story about an HCP holder shooting a chihuahua and a completely biased, anti-gun study done by the violence policy center. I was going to post about the VPC on here but it looks like you guys already know about it.

Guest slothful1
There were 2 in Memphis where both shooters had permits this year.

Wasn't at least one of those actually in the parking lot, not inside the restaurant?

Wasn't at least one of those actually in the parking lot, not inside the restaurant?

Yea, not to mention the media convicted the guy in the news WELL before the whole story got out. I think the guy is still gonna end up going to jail, but this wasn't an unprovoked over reaction either from what I was told by several people who knew the full story.

It doesn't matter for a guy like Rayburn though, guy had a HCP, shot someone, and it wasn't cut and dry self-defense, he'll use it. After all who needs petty things like facts? :cool:

Unfortunately the more I've kept up with politics the more I have seen the truth skewed or half-used.

A HCP holder could be murdered by some thug and your liable to see a headline or a statement "Handgun Carry Permit holder involved in murder"

I mean that statement is technically correct, but far from telling what actually happened.

Guest GlockRule

The Tennessean is nothing but a vehicle for pushing leftist idealogy...I don't even bother going there for news. They are out to demonize ALL handgun permit holders. Now they're going after healthcare reform dissidents.

Guest crotalus01

I know for sure that one of the shooting was here in Memphis in the parking lot outside of a restaurant on Germantown Parkway - two guys got into it over a parking spot, or parking too close, whatever. The permit holder disengaged the conflict to go to his vehicle and retrieve his firearm, came back and reengaged into the conflict and shot and killed the other guy - pretty clear cut murder case unfortunately for us HCP holders.