What happened in Todays Hearing???

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't make any sense to me. If they don't want us there, post it. :bowrofl:

Why should they want to force every resturaunt to refuse service to HCP customers? Maybe they figure that their business is going to suffer unless every resturaunt is off limits legally.

If this is the case, which I suspect it is, it all boils down to just one thing... Greed. They don't give a flying rat's @$$ about their customers.

I was among those at the orginal hearing. It seems they have abandoned all their arguments excpet that the law is too vauge and therefore it should be voided.

Basically the average person can not know what is a restaurant per the law and could violate without intending to.

I was among those at the orginal hearing. It seems they have abandoned all their arguments excpet that the law is too vauge and therefore it should be voided.

Basically the average person can not know what is a restaurant per the law and could violate without intending to.

Then I say we should be able to carry period. Then there would be question.

If that is the case, then we should be able to get the IRS and ATF thrown out!:bowrofl:

Then I say we should be able to carry period. Then there would be question.

Actually....to me that could be a positive outcome.

The judge rule the law void for vaugness, the legislature come back and make having an HCP and exemption for places that serve alcohol period, not just restaurants. No vaugness there........

I don't think they have a leg to stand on. The only thing the Judge MAY agree with is possibly the definition of a Restaurant being too vague in the Bill. In that case, all the Legislators have to do is go back and amend it to be more specific in the next legislative session.

Simple... just have the bars put up a sign... "THIS IS A BAR".

The problem for them is that they are bars operating under a restaurant license.

Doc44

Guest mcgyver210
Simple... just have the bars put up a sign... "THIS IS A BAR".

The problem for them is that they are bars operating under a restaurant license.

Doc44

I was just thinking I thought I heard TN really doesn't have legal bars so where is the confusion?

Guest HexHead
Actually....to me that could be a positive outcome.

The judge rule the law void for vaugness, the legislature come back and make having an HCP and exemption for places that serve alcohol period, not just restaurants. No vaugness there........

Are you sure the legislature still has the stomach to do gun legislation all over again after all the negative publicity?

What they need to do is make the definition of a restaurant used in 0962 the new standard for what is a restaurant and everything else is a bar.

Are you sure the legislature still has the stomach to do gun legislation all over again after all the negative publicity?

What they need to do is make the definition of a restaurant used in 0962 the new standard for what is a restaurant and everything else is a bar.

I guess I meant more of a best case scenario....:hiding:

Other than the days of week they are open, the definition of a restaurant in the new law is the same standard of a restaurant, but not every other place that serves alcohol is bar by any means.

You know some art galleries and spas serve wine....are they bars?

There whole argument (now) is that even though the law only allows for carry in a restaurant, that the average person won't be able to know if a place meets the legal definition of a restaurant, that is if they even know there is a legal definition of a restaurant.

I was just thinking I thought I heard TN really doesn't have legal bars so where is the confusion?

We would get in trouble if we went into one of the illegal restaurant/bars.

Doc44

Guest HexHead
I guess I meant more of a best case scenario....:hiding:

Other than the days of week they are open, the definition of a restaurant in the new law is the same standard of a restaurant, but not every other place that serves alcohol is bar by any means.

You know some art galleries and spas serve wine....are they bars?

There whole argument (now) is that even though the law only allows for carry in a restaurant, that the average person won't be able to know if a place meets the legal definition of a restaurant, that is if they even know there is a legal definition of a restaurant.

Because of that percentage of alcohol test that TN supposedly didn't have. :hiding:

I'd like to see the ABC actually enforce their own rule, and if a place isn't meeting the requirements, close them up.

Why should we be the only group in the state that's expected to follow the rules?????

I agree the ABC is not always enforcing their own rules.

But I think one problem is about the only way a "sit down" place can serve liquor by the drink is to get a restaurant license. If they would simply create a bar license and let places that don't serve meals, etc... serve liquor by the drink that would solve a lot of the problem. You could also simply require those places to post some sort of sign or symbol to indicate they are operating under a bar license and that carry is prohibited and/or whatever else the wanted to prohibit in bars.

Guest HexHead

You could also simply require those places to post some sort of sign or symbol to indicate they are operating under a bar license and that carry is prohibited and/or whatever else the wanted to prohibit in bars.

That's what Texas does, places that don't meet the criteria for carrying, just have a sign that says "51" by the door.

This isn't freakin' rocket science. :hiding:

I'm sure there will be the usual pissing and moaning though. Maybe the insurance for a "bar" is more expensive than for a "restaurant"? And what about A-holes like Rayburn who's place very definitely is considered a restaurant? (After all, he's always referred to in the media ad "Nashville restauranteur", not "Nashville saloon keeper". )

One thing for certain, we'll get blamed. No, I really think we need to do like GA and KY and some other states and just not let businesses open to the public post at all. Period.

I agree the ABC is not always enforcing their own rules.

But I think one problem is about the only way a "sit down" place can serve liquor by the drink is to get a restaurant license. If they would simply create a bar license and let places that don't serve meals, etc... serve liquor by the drink that would solve a lot of the problem. You could also simply require those places to post some sort of sign or symbol to indicate they are operating under a bar license and that carry is prohibited and/or whatever else the wanted to prohibit in bars.

There lies the rub, insurance for a "bar" is far more expensive than it is for a restaurant. That has been the "good 'ol boy" agreement for years with regard to the ABC, don't ask, don't tell, if you say you are a restaurant, we believe you. If they do not conduct a "food audit" no one suffers. Without a complaint, no audit!

Establishments in TN that want to take on "Bar" status should be able to, just pony up the money, and the corresponding liability for impaired drivers they create, along with the much greater risk of violence within their establishments. Try getting a "Bar" license in a small town, hard liqueur by the drink as an intended business, no food? Yeah right!