Hello from Chattanooga

Guest slothful1

Guest slothful1

Hey, y'all. My name's Tim and I'm from Chattanooga (Hixson, specifically). I've never owned a gun other than a .22 rifle, but I am looking to purchase a handgun for self-defense purposes & I came across this site in my Google searches.

I usually like to browse around a forum and get a feel for the place before I go posting new threads, but soon I will probably be soliciting some advice -- I have a partial paralysis of my left arm (injury at birth), so I'm particularly interested in how that might affect my gun choice in terms of one-handed shooting, racking the slide on an autoloader vs. getting a revolver, etc., and more importantly any considerations I *haven't* though of.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, Tim. I've got in-laws down there around that part of Chattanooga and scattered places here, there and between. Glad to see you saw something worthwhile here that made you decide to join up.

That's an interesting consideration that you present for choosing a firearm. Off the cuff I would say that a revolver definitely sounds like it might be the better choice for you since it sounds like you have at least marginal difficulty racking the slide on automatics.

For a counterpoint, I'd say though that autoloaders generally have a higher round count capacity than revolvers so you will find yourself reloading less often with an automatic. Especially if you're talking about one of the several high-capacity 9mm models that carry anywhere from 15 - 17 rounds in a single magazine.

Hmmm. The more I think about this, the more I might have to change my initial recommendation. I can see where an autoloader might be difficult to reload, but I can also see where a revolver wouldn't be much easier. And really, as long as you have good strength in your right thumb, you can probably release the slide on an automatic with your shooting hand via the slide-stop lever just as easily as you could slap the cylinder shut on a revolver. The most difficult point would be racking a closed slide to chamber that first round. But if you change mags before you run it dry and the slide locks back or if you just release the slide with the stop lever, that becomes a lot easier one-handed.

Like I said... interesting considerations all the way around. Hopefully you'll find some good answers from folks here.

In the meantime, I think I'll try to put myself in your shoes a bit and do some completely one-handed shooting with my 9mm Springfield XD today and see if that helps me make a better recommendation. How about loading magazines? Do you have enough manual dexterity in your left arm and hand to easily load rounds into a mag?

Guest david_g17

I usually like to browse around a forum and get a feel for the place before I go posting new threads, but soon I will probably be soliciting some advice -- I have a partial paralysis of my left arm (injury at birth), so I'm particularly interested in how that might affect my gun choice in terms of one-handed shooting, racking the slide on an autoloader vs. getting a revolver, etc., and more importantly any considerations I *haven't* though of.

I'll be very interested in anything you have to say. A good friend of mine is in the exact same situation. Partial paralysis of his left hand from a stroke at a very early age. He too is looking for a handgun for self-defense.

Glad to have you on the board.

The best advice I can give you is to call around local gun shops/ranges and ask if any let you try out their firearms. One of the gun shops here has a firing range and you can rent from a large selection of handguns for $20 or so.

edited to add:

a cheaper alternative may be to meet up with some people on the board at a range and test their firearms. if you're ever in Knoxville, drop me an IM.

Guest slothful1

I don't think loading a magazine would be a problem. I can use my left hand to grip something to hold it still while working on it with my right -- I just can't do any fine manipulations with the left, or anything that requires strength in pushing away from my body or above the shoulder -- the nerves to the extensor muscles (like the triceps) are damaged so I can grip & pull, but not push.

I've never racked a slide, so I don't know the typical amount of force required, or the angle I'd have to hold the gun at to do it practically with my left hand. I could probably handle it in a 'leisurely' situation OK, it just would take longer than normal -- my concern is the ability to do it quickly if I was in a scenario where I actually needed it. My first inclination would not be to go around with a round chambered all the time, but I might change my mind if I was confident in the other safety features of the gun.

Hi there Tim, and welcome to the forum. I'm from Jasper (about 35 miles away from you), but lived in the Chattanooga area for the past 5 years (plus my mom and brother live in Hixson, so I know that area a bit too). There is a range/shop pretty close to you that I've never been to... it's on Hixson Pike, close to the Krystal that is right at 153... I can't think of the name of it, but I believe they offer handgun carry permits taught, and I'm sure they may have guns to rent there... but you can always probably get a feel for some of them just by handling the selection of new/used.

There is another shop a little farther away, on Hwy 58 (almost to Harrison) called "Carter's Shooting Supply." They also have a shooting range, and will let you rent any of their used stock for 10$/piece. They also have a selection of Glocks that they rent out at, I believe, the same price. I know 1911 wise, they carry Kimbers almost exclusivly. They also have quite a few Taurus pieces. This is the range I went to when I lived in Chattanooga (closest one to me). They also have fairly reasonable prices on range ammo. These guys also offer a handgun carry permit class. (I believe you get a discount off a range membership if you take the course, possibly the same with the other one I mentioned).

If you're up for a bit more of a drive, there is a great shop about an hour away called "Hero-Gear" (www.hero-gear.com) that is in Winchester, TN. They have a huge selection of 1911's and other pistols, and are quite knowledgeable about their products.

That's enough typing for now... welcome to the forums...

**BRENT**

Edit: I see Mike.357 recommends the 1911, and it's by far my favorite style pistol. I don't know what caliber you're looking at, but you'll find tons in .45ACP, quite a few in 9mm (I don't know how big your hands are or what would feel right to you, but if you're looking for something smaller, I think it's the Springfield Armory EMP 9mm that is fairly new is a 1911 style pistol designed around the caliber), and there are always the Para-Ordinance double stacks which will hold a good 14+1 rounds of .45ACP, if you're so inclined (who needs to worry about reloading with 15 rounds of some Hornady TAP ammo?) There is also the 10mm option (talk to dcloudy77 (i think is his handle here) at Hero-Gear on this one).

As you're familiar with Google, you should be able to find all these shops using a search fairly easily. Hope this helps!

Tim, hello from Signal Mtn.

There is a range/shop pretty close to you that I've never been to... it's on Hixson Pike, close to the Krystal that is right at 153...

Dragon, I think the name of the place is Sportsman's Supply and Service. I've been in there a couple of times browsing. The guys seem pretty friendly...willing to talk to you...that sort of thing. Haven't ever bought anything there, so I can say on that point. And Carter's has some really good guys working there, for sure.

Guest Boomhower

Welcome Tim, and I'd have to agree with the comments on the 1911 style handguns with hi-cap magizines. One of the biggest advantages is the external safty. You ever heard the old saying "locked, cocked and ready to rock"? Plus with all of the above, you don't have to worry with what happens after 6 rounds are spent.

Glad to hear you are taking interest in self protection. IMO, too much is never enough.

Guest Phantom6

Welcome to the group Tim. I too would suggest a semi-auto but I happen to prefer a hammerless. Carefull about racking your slide with your belt buckle. You might "light up" something that you'd like to use later in the evening. :up:

For a small concealable handgun might I suggest a Beretta .32 cal Tomcat. It has a tip up barrel and holds one there with 6 in the magazine. No racking of slide and reloads quickly with one hand. With the right ammo it's a pretty potent little handgun. I know quite a few cops and PSO's that use 'em as trusted back-up pieces. It's good for 3- 10 meters which is well within the distance requirements of most gun fights.

Whatever you choose, try 'em before you buy 'em.

Again, welcome.