Gun Shows are a JOKE!

Guest icehead

Guest icehead

I mean really people. There are people in there selling used firearms like they are new. I thought the gun show was where you could go get a deal or at least a fair shake, and its more of the same like gun stores. If I want to get bent over I'll just to to my local in Smyrna. I guess it's worth it if your looking for some Nazi stuff or collector items, but other than that I'll buy and sell online.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have felt the same way since I moved back here in 05. So much so that I dont even bother going to them any more. The one time I actually found something I was looking for was in Knoxville and it was a 10/22 front sight. How comman of a part is that? And no one had it at the other 5 gun shows I have attended. Yes, I know I can purchase stuff online, but when ever possible I try to "support the home team" and buy locally.

Guest 308Phantom

They are really hit or miss. It all depends on what you are looking for. I found a good deal on a sig elite dark with threaded barrel, thread protector, and 2 mags . for a grand out the door. That is about 200 cheaper than I have seen it anywhere.Just hit or miss. most people do ask to much for their used stuff.

Gun shows are always and adventure. I have found some great stuff just by wandering around enough and waiting for the deal to come.

In these parts every show is usually 85-90% the same dealers with the same stuff at the same prices every show. You never know what on the tables of the other 10-15%.

I do know one thing. Alot of people bought high in the past year and are still trying to sell high. They're about to learn some economics.

Guest Bluemax

The local shows are kind of hit or miss thing. I enjoy going to them and continue to go to them whether I am in the market for something or just looking around. One thing you have to remember is when a gun shop decides to attend a show, they still have the same amount of cash invested in their firearms. The cost of their guns now not only includes their everyday expenses but table rental and possiblly travel expenses as well. My point is, unless you are planning on buying from an individual, you have a better chance at getting a bargain at a vendors store not the gun show

Guest HexHead

Gun shows are what you make of them. For one thing, it's a good place to find stuff you don't normally see in the local stores. Now I generally only go to the Goodman shows at the fairgrounds. I don't care that the RK shows in Smyrna or Franklin have 600 tables when 400 of them are crap. I pretty much always find what I'm looking for at the Goodman show, and occasionally stumble on something unexpected.

I've sold guns there and I've traded guns. Occasionally I find a real deal there, like my 1945 Garand I got for $600. I found some hard to find stuff like some original S&W K-frame Magna grips in like new shape, or a Savage marked spike bayonet for a No.4 Mk. 1 Enfield. Not only found a decent deal on my Colt Mustang, but had three to choose from. A friend of mine was with me last time and got a good deal on a new Glock 19. About $30 less than even Guns & Leather. Nah, I've got no complaints.

Agreed with Hexhead.

Its not so much a place to get good deals anymore, but rather a place to find "hard to find stuff" and trade stuff you have quickly. I have a ton of SP magnum primers I cant use and traded some straight-up for LP primers at the last Columbia show.. still have a bunch of SPM primers left though..

..but really with internet networking and sites like these... traditional gun shows dont offer much anymore - which is why it will be such a relief to attend the Mid-South Guns And Gear Expo wink.gif when it happens!

Guest SureShot308

I'm with Hexhead on that one too.

I pretty much go to all the shows around the Nashville area. I don't find deals every time, but I usually find something that I am looking for. I just found some Wilson Combat 1911 compact mags I was looking for for 4 bucks less than Midway yesterday.

The ammo prices pretty much suck though.

Besides it gives you a good place to go put your hands all over a bunch of guns. You can compare them all in one place and see what you like and what you don't.

Guest donfromtexas

I have noticed most of the items for sale here are pretty high priced for used guns too. Every time I see something in the classifieds that has several hundred to thousands of rounds fired through them I look for them online and find brand new ones cheaper. The only reason I buy local is because of the customer service (which I must say has been great for me here in Clarksville).

Guest coldblackwind

Gunshows pretty much always have some deals at them, its just a matter of whether is something you want, and its almost always on USED guns. New ones they pretty much all have the same amount into, so the prices are going to pretty similar anywhere. I've seen some great deals, but a lot of the time its something I have no interest in, other times you score. My buddy got a mossberg 590 for $230 otd, every one I've seen since has been over $400. I picked up a 500 mariner for $275, most of them I see are over $400, and my dad, I won't even get started on the insane deals he's gotten. On the other hand, at the last sparta show there was an M44 mosin nagant (nothing special, not even exceptional condition) for over $400. The deals are there but its mostly on used guns, and a lot of the time you don't see them because it isn't something that you happen to be interested in.

Guest smittyb

I agree the gun shows I have been to in Tn are crap. I have got a couple of deals, but like someone already said, they are 90% of the same dealers at all of them.

People who live around Nashville, do yourself a favor and check out a National Gun Day event in Louisville, KY if you have never been to one. It's just a short ride up 65. You will see a night and day difference in the RK jokes. I mean shows.

National Gun Day.Com website - The best gun shows!

Guest logicprevails

I miss the good ole days when Mr. Cornwell would be sitting there in his Russian General's uniform amidst piles of RPD's, PPSH's and the myriad of pre-'68 purchases.

Guest duckdog38

i went to the one at jackson a few weeks ago. didnt find any good deals on guns but i bought some knives for $8.33 a piece and sold them all the next day to people for $20.00 each! i hope the guy is back next time with those knives! ill be rich!!!

Gun shows are what you make of them. For one thing, it's a good place to find stuff you don't normally see in the local stores. Now I generally only go to the Goodman shows at the fairgrounds. I don't care that the RK shows in Smyrna or Franklin have 600 tables when 400 of them are crap. I pretty much always find what I'm looking for at the Goodman show, and occasionally stumble on something unexpected.

I've sold guns there and I've traded guns. Occasionally I find a real deal there, like my 1945 Garand I got for $600. I found some hard to find stuff like some original S&W K-frame Magna grips in like new shape, or a Savage marked spike bayonet for a No.4 Mk. 1 Enfield. Not only found a decent deal on my Colt Mustang, but had three to choose from. A friend of mine was with me last time and got a good deal on a new Glock 19. About $30 less than even Guns & Leather. Nah, I've got no complaints.

That was a good day :koolaid: I still cant find a 19 USED for the price I got mine new. I talked to him the other day about getting me a Colt 1911...but then Brad called. haha

Your not gonna find deals like you would from a private owner but I've picked up some pretty good deals, like a complete colt upper when I was doing my AR build or a sweet model 64 when I wanted a .38. Ya never know untill ya go.

Sometimes you can come into a really good deal. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

I bought a Marlin 30 30 for $175 from a guy walking around. It had maybe 20% of the finish left. I parkerized it and still have it.

Found a Marlin 1894S in 44 Mag a few years ago. Cracked butt stock. New butt stock from Numrich for $10 and it is good as new. Bought the 44 for $100.

Guest Shooter5X5

Of course it's always let the buyer beware. That said, at the Symra show this weekend i just saved $150 or 20% on a new gun I've been looking for. I for one am a very happy camper. I admit, there was a lot of junk there, but diamonds (like the one I found), while hard to find, are worth looking for!