Do the rules still apply?

I've read all the TWRA rules about "hunting" coyotes, skunks, and raccoons. I've read where artificial lights, night vision scopes, and FMJ ammo is "illegal".

My question is this: I take my two miniture schnauzers out to potty at 4:30AM in the morning and 10:00PM at night. We have all these critters around our house from time to time. Are the rules still in force if I'm shooting to protect my dogs? I'm not really hunting because I'm not looking for them. I just don't want something to hurt my dogs.

Next question is: If it is permissible to shoot under these circumstances is it absolutely necessary to spend $2000.00 on a night vision scope or would a $250.00 weapon light be sufficient for my purposes?

I'll spend whatever I need to in order to protect my dogs. They're the only "children" my wife and I have ever been able to have.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a regular flashlight in your hand would be quite effective. I'm in the same situation as you, but when the "outside" floodlight comes on, every thing scatters to the "woodline" anyways. I just keep a handgun handy is all.

Guest jdavis

i think you would be fine if the animal is doing damage to you or your land,however if you go buy the nightvision scope then you would be preparing to hunt the animal. we have coyote problems frequently they get after the newborn calfs, i just use a red light and take care of buisness. we have never had an issue with the warden.

I would say the rules only apply for hunting.

Sounds like what you are doing falls under defense.

agreed - blow those suckers away!

TN CODE:

It is a defense to unlawful carrying if the possession

or carrying was:

• By a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory animals;

Shooting a coyote that is attacking your dog is one thing, but shooting a skunk with night vision might not be the best thing to try. I've never had a coyote run at me, other than in a trap. I think you have a higher chance of another domestic dog jumping your pets than a coon, kiyot, or skunk. If ya have problems with those animals try trapping them out.

Guest clsutton21

If you're in city limits, don't ever shoot. If you're in a suburb, don't shoot. If you live on a farm or something of the like, I don't think it would matter if you used the ol' fish hook hanging from a tree with meat on it trick for the coyotes. I suggest grenades or a .22 pistol for the smaller animals.

agreed - blow those suckers away!

TN CODE:

It is a defense to unlawful carrying if the possession

or carrying was:

• By a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory animals;

^this.....

Now as far as what light to use and such, I killed two raccoons last week after they killed two of my chickens. The first one I used a 10/22 while holding a Pelican M6 6V flashlight in the support hand. The batteries died a couple minutes after I shot her so I had to wait until the following night and sure enough the other one came back and was trying to get in the coop again. That one I killed with my glock17 & AA 22lr conversion kit, since the batteries died in the pelican and I had let a buddy borrow my Streamlight M3 pistol light to candle some eggs I ended up using a $20 LED flashlight from home depot (it sucked but it worked). Personally, I would rather use a high output flashlight than night vision. The light reflecting off of their eyes makes it extremely easy.

Because everyone loves pictures.....

chickenproblems017.jpg

chickenproblems015.jpg

You might also try contacting your local Animal control and they will most likely lend you some of those Have-a-Heart live traps for free.

Guest mikedwood

We had a Raccon problem here and I called TWRA and the lady was real nice and apparently a raccoon expert or something.

She said that if the raccoon was a pest on my property and local laws allowed firearms discharge I could do that.

Or if I trapped them I could "put them down in a quick and efficient manner" or release them on a property with the properties owners permission.

So I would imagine if it were a pest on your property and legal in your township or county. Whatever means you used to humainly and safely dispose of said pest would be OK.

All the stuff above is my opinion from my conversation with a TWRA officer over the phone and useless in a court of law or any where else, upto and including the Internet.

I've read all the TWRA rules about "hunting" coyotes, skunks, and raccoons. I've read where artificial lights, night vision scopes, and FMJ ammo is "illegal".

My question is this: I take my two miniture schnauzers out to potty at 4:30AM in the morning and 10:00PM at night. We have all these critters around our house from time to time. Are the rules still in force if I'm shooting to protect my dogs? I'm not really hunting because I'm not looking for them. I just don't want something to hurt my dogs.

Next question is: If it is permissible to shoot under these circumstances is it absolutely necessary to spend $2000.00 on a night vision scope or would a $250.00 weapon light be sufficient for my purposes?

I'll spend whatever I need to in order to protect my dogs. They're the only "children" my wife and I have ever been able to have.

First off ... NEVER use FMJ ammo outside of a bermed condition. It can (and will) ricochet off into never-never land in a hurry and hit something that you had no intention of hitting.

Like has also been said, you don't need any of the fancy stuff. If you are indeed wanting to "gear up" simply for the protection of your pets while you are outside, then a simple and dependable hand-held light and a good accurate handgun are all that should be required.

As for the regulations on coyotes, there is no closed season (there are a few conditions that you can't hunt though. Read the regs thoroughly). If you live in an area where you can shoot safely (not a subdivision or in town) you can sit on your porch and call them into your yard. That is ... if they are as prominent as you say. Coyotes, when not hunted, become very bold and won't hesitate to come into a back yard to the sound of a rabbit in distress or other sounds that signify an easy meal. A $5 mouth call and a $15 video (Byron South is good) along with just a little practice should put you in position to call them to the gun. If they are posing a threat to you, your property, or your family (dogs included), you can shoot them without recourse.

Well I took a warning shot at a skunk last night and he ran off (the thing just kept coming towards us until I fired a shot). Didn't want to actually shoot him (what the hell are you gonna do with the body). He ran away, fortunately. I was able to draw a good bead with just a handheld light and could have gotten him if I had wanted. This made me feel a little better. I've never fired a gun in the dark before so I wasn't sure if I could get a good aim with iron sights.

I don't know what it is about this year, but it's like wild kingdom around here and I live in the "burbs". Fortunately, we have very large yards in my area.