Hello from Nashville

Guest canebreaker

Guest canebreaker

Or Southaven, which ever I'm in.

I work in Memphis but spend lots of time in Nashville.

I'm a RSO at Stones River gun range on weekends.

Come on out a blow some steam or relax and shoot a few rounds.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

Is Stones River a good place? I've heard mixed reviews about shooting there . . .

Fridays after work it's usually a ghost town. I've gone there in the past and been the only person on the range. I've never been to a public facility where I could call "hot" or "cold" before, so that was nice. Weekends can be crowded, but I've never had to wait for a lane. If you're shooting targets, and not practicing CC skills (holsters are not allowed, nor are silhouette targets, round targets only), it's a pretty good value for $5.50. I believe other TGO members have had issues there, but I haven't had any bad experiences. 99% of the shooters seem to be experienced and safety conscious (and I've seen some absolute tack-drivers shooting there as well). Maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't seen any egregious violations in any of my visits. Certainly, I haven't seen loaded weapons behind the line, guns turned sideways gangsta style (it makes the bullets fly faster), etc.

On the occasions where I have seen RSOs get righteous, they were nipping situations in the bud before they got completely dumba##ed and unsafe.

One caveat - there are always many brand new shooters on weekends. If that has an effect on your comfort level, that could be an issue.

Guest canebreaker

Stones river is open friday and saturday from 10 am to 6 pm, sunday 1 pm to 6 pm, summer hours. Closes a 4, winter hours. Pistol range shoots for 10 minutes, rifle range for 15 minutes. Cold line is called, after we check all guns, the gate is openned for you to change targets and clean up cases. No handling of guns while line is cold.

Great place to bring the family. Eye and ear protection must be worn. We are strong on safety. 5.50 for at least 2 hours of shooting. I volunteer friday mornings and sundays when I'm in town. HCP and hunter education are some of the programs there. See if I can get 'canebreaker' on my name tag. Heck, just look for Jimmy.

• 6 months later...
Guest canebreaker

I don't know where to post this one:

East Bound, I'll be headed for Gray,TN friday april 30. Anyone in the area need a fishing partner for a week? Also a gun range.

Edited by canebreaker