yote problem?

i was camping with the family this weekend where i normally hunt. and right by my favorite hunting spot i heard some yotes. sounds like they have a den down by my stands but i'm not sure where. i could here the little ones trying to howl. my question is...how will this affect my deer in the area? and how do i get rid of them or get them to relocate? i walked around down by where i thought i was hearing them and didnt see anything. any thought?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TWRA rules state:

Hunting is prohibited over a site where

bait has been placed to feed or attract

wildlife unless all the bait has been

removed at least ten (10) days prior to

hunting.

TGO Code of Conduct states:

Do not discuss illegal activities.

Illegal activities should never be discussed here. This includes but is not limited to discussion of ways to circumvent laws or regulations (see Rule #6).

Obviously a web community centered upon firearms ownership will have members from various local, State and Federal law enforcement agencies let alone be monitored by those same agencies. Don’t put them in a position to have to do something professionally about something stupid that you did or are going to do.

We would greatly prefer that our members not engage in illegal activities in the first place, but if you have you should be smart and not blab about it on the Internet.

6.Observe all laws.

Part of responsible firearms ownership is observing all local, State and Federal laws that pertain to firearms. All of our members are expected to do so when communicating on our forum or when conducting sales through our forum.

For example, certain things should never be discussed. Things like how to convert a semi-automatic firearm to full-automatic, or how to build a bomb, how to circumvent proper transfer and registration of a firearm, etc.
Likewise, all sales of firearms should be done in accordance with the Law. Out-of-state transfers must be coordinated through Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers on both the seller and buyer side of the transaction.

If you are in doubt of what is legal in a given situation, always ask before you commit or post!

Part of responsible firearms ownership is observing all local, State and Federal laws that pertain to firearms. All of our members are expected to do so when communicating on our forum or when conducting sales through our forum.

For example, certain things should never be discussed. Things like how to convert a semi-automatic firearm to full-automatic, or how to build a bomb, how to circumvent proper transfer and registration of a firearm, etc.
Likewise, all sales of firearms should be done in accordance with the Law. Out-of-state transfers must be coordinated through Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers on both the seller and buyer side of the transaction.

If you are in doubt of what is legal in a given situation, always ask before you commit or post!
Edited by memphismason

Honestly, they probably won't effect the deer herd in a negative way. They may cause them to move to another location nearby. Coyotes don't usually hunt anything as large as a deer but they will take advantage of a newborn fawn. They have been known to take advantage of a doe giving birth also. But at this time of year, that won't be a factor.

You can get them removed easily after deer season if you can locate some experienced coyote hunters. They will either kill them or cause them to vacate the territory. Honest, experienced, dedicated predator hunters won't be a threat to your deer population.

I'd be glad to help you out but Hendersonville is to far from Chattanooga for me to make the necessary trips that would be involved.

Usually deer and coyotes get along just fine. Coyotes usually like to eat dead animals and berries, they may kill an already hurt animal or baby deer. I have hunted and seen coyotes and deer in the same field and the deer didn't seem like they cared to much about them.

Never hunted coyotes but would love to. Up here they are a real problem for deer and don't get along. Once the coyotes move in the deer move out. When the snow gets too deep for the deer to move freely they "yard" up. The coyotes will hammer the deer yards all winter. We don't have lots of open land here so you'd be hunting them with brush guns and 25-50 yd shots. Hoping when I move down there I can find a place to hunt them.

Never hunted coyotes but would love to. Up here they are a real problem for deer and don't get along. Once the coyotes move in the deer move out. When the snow gets too deep for the deer to move freely they "yard" up. The coyotes will hammer the deer yards all winter. We don't have lots of open land here so you'd be hunting them with brush guns and 25-50 yd shots. Hoping when I move down there I can find a place to hunt them.

First off let me say welcome to TGO :D. Seems like in certain areas coyotes and deer don't get along. Once you start coyote hunting you will be addicted.

First off let me say welcome to TGO :stare:. Seems like in certain areas coyotes and deer don't get along. Once you start coyote hunting you will be addicted.[/QUOTE]

A big +1 on that. I started a few years ago, when we first started seeing the results of the growing 'yote population, for one thing, it's almost impossible to have a successful bird hunt around here anymore. Anyway, I had always enjoyed bird hunting, and took up the cause with the coyotes since they were one of the main reasons for the depleted bird populations in the area. I became hopelessly addicted after the first one. It's such a challenge because they are very intelligent. You have to try not to educate them while you eradicate them. An incredible level of respect for them has replaced the initial incredible level of disgust I had for them.

The deer will probably be fine but the rabbits and birds will be the ones to suffer. Dicks has an entry level electronic call with remote that you can set up to bring the yotes in if you wanna have a look at your problem. I think it is about $50 and has 4 sounds to choose from. They will typically come in fast but will be very cautious of their surroundings. If they scent you they will high tail it back in the brush. They will also learn that that electronic call means human scent so I suggest supplementing with a mouth call as well to break up up the sound.

Dicks has an entry level electronic call with remote that you can set up to bring the yotes in if you wanna have a look at your problem. I think it is about $50 and has 4 sounds to choose from.

Save your $50 and use it to purchase a good mouth call and 2 or 3 of Byron South's videos. You'll be way ahead of the game. The cheap electronic calls aren't worth the money. They won't fool anything except a coyote with brain damage......been there, done that.:usa:

Save your $50 and use it to purchase a good mouth call and 2 or 3 of Byron South's videos. You'll be way ahead of the game. The cheap electronic calls aren't worth the money. They won't fool anything except a coyote with brain damage......been there, done that.:D

I tried my luck a few years ago with the electronic calls. Didn't have a very good success rate, although I did (coincidentally?) draw in several curious skunks when using it.

I'm willing to help my82cam. Have called several in with mouth calls (didn't get them all dang it). If your deer hunting, you'll get to see one if they are that close without calling. I've killed two out of the stand and my son got one two years ago from his during muzzle loader. They run the deer trails in Wayne Co. Although the deer have not moved out, they don't follow a coyote so when I see em I pound em.

DSCF0010.jpg