What 9mm round are you guys using for carry purposes??

Guest 10secL

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've carried Speer GD, Winchester SilverTip, Lapua CEPP Extra, Black Talon.

I like the ballistics best on the new Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+. They make the .357SIG redundant.

Truth be told, all of them are good. Some shooters and some guns will do better with one load than another but it comes down to a personal difference,

Guest Todd@CIS

Assuming that the rounds listed function flawlessly in YOUR gun, my preference for 9mm...

Winchester 147gr Ranger-T

Winchester 124+P Ranger-T

Winchester 127+P+ Ranger-T

Speer 124+P Gold Dot

All listed rounds have proven reliable, accurate, very low flash, and display excellent terminal ballistics.

Having said this, most all premium, 124-147gr JHPs will do the job if your shot placement (repeatedly) is satisfactory.

Regards

Edited by Todd@CIS

As has been mentioned, there are a lot of good choices. Rangers are good and I also like Hydra-Shoks and Gold Dots. Cor-Bon is fine, but i think over-hyped. That doesn't mean I don't like them, just that I haven't found them to be worth the extra cost.

I usually shoot WWB 115gr or some GA NATO 147gr that I picked up bulk a while back for target. I currently have mixed mags of 147gr and federal 124gr (2 147 gr for each 124gr federal) for daily carry (some have several Federal in a row).

Guest bkelm18

For target I use the big yellow box of Remington UMC I find at Bass Pro and Gander Mtn. I haven't really looked into defense rounds since I don't use it as my carry piece yet, but I like Speer. Everything I've read about it is nothing but praise.

Guest canynracer

ok, so I got my ammo...took 250rds to the range...first 125 no issues, lot of flash, sigma was pretty dirty...went outside for a smoke, drank a coke, went back in for the next 125..started fine, first 2rds went no prob, 3rd rounds fired, but didnt eject, got locked into the barrel, had to field strip and it took the local gunsmith to remove the case from the barrel..he told me it is common with Sellier & Bellot ammo cause the polymer they use causes the metal fragment to stick in the barrel, he said went I went outside to smoke the barrel cooled down causing it to stick more...he said if I am gonna coninute shooting this ammo, I cant let the barrel cool...or he said I should bring my cleaning rod and clean the barrel before taking a break. He also told me to clean the gun after EVERY range trip with this ammo..He cleaned the barrel for me, went back in, and I was back off to the races with no issues...got home, and DAMN it took forever to clean...

I bought 1000rds of this stuff, it shoots, but damn...

oh well, live and learn, I will blow through this junk and next time I know that cheap price, isnt the best bang for the buck. on the bright side...almost everyone I talked to tonight said that this brand is way better than Wolf....

ok, so I got my ammo...took 250rds to the range...first 125 no issues, lot of flash, sigma was pretty dirty...went outside for a smoke, drank a coke, went back in for the next 125..started fine, first 2rds went no prob, 3rd rounds fired, but didnt eject, got locked into the barrel, had to field strip and it took the local gunsmith to remove the case from the barrel..he told me it is common with Sellier & Bellot ammo cause the polymer they use causes the metal fragment to stick in the barrel, he said went I went outside to smoke the barrel cooled down causing it to stick more...he said if I am gonna coninute shooting this ammo, I cant let the barrel cool...or he said I should bring my cleaning rod and clean the barrel before taking a break. He also told me to clean the gun after EVERY range trip with this ammo..He cleaned the barrel for me, went back in, and I was back off to the races with no issues...got home, and DAMN it took forever to clean...

I bought 1000rds of this stuff, it shoots, but damn...

oh well, live and learn, I will blow through this junk and next time I know that cheap price, isnt the best bang for the buck. on the bright side...almost everyone I talked to tonight said that this brand is way better than Wolf....

and the stuff you were using was........?