Fly your flag...get evicted...

mrmoetn

Caught this over at GT:

Still think that the lowest common denominator doesn't drag down society?

Look at their ratings:

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/rati...Apartments.htm

ALBANY, Ore. - At the Oaks Apartments in Albany, the management can fly their own flag advertising one and two bedroom apartments - but residents have been told they can't fly any flags at all.

Jim Clausen flies the American flag from the back of his motorcycle. He has a son in the military heading back to Iraq, and the flag - he said - is his way of showing support.

"This flag stands for all those people," said Clausen, an Oaks Apartment resident. "It stands for the people that can no longer stand - who died in wars. That's why I fly this flag."

But to Oaks Apartment management, Clausen said, the American flag symbolizes problems.

He was told to remove the red, white and blue from both of his rides, or face eviction.

"It floored me," he said. "I can't believe she was saying what she was saying."

Even long-time residents like Sharron White, who has flown a flag on her car for eight years, has been told to take it down.

White said management told her that "someone might get offended."

"I just said to her 'They'll just have to get over it,'" White said.

Resident we talked to who had been approached to take down their flags all told us the same thing: that management told them the flags could be offensive because they live in a diverse community.

Attempts to find out for ourselves why management would ban flags were unsuccessful. KATU wanted to talk to management at Oaks Apartments, but no one has returned our calls. The woman we were told had made the decision said she was "not going to answer any questions."

101209_flag_wars_at_oaks_apartments_albany_oregon-sign_in_window.jpgThe mother of one soldier fighting in Iraq put up a poster in her son's apartment window when she learned of the ban. Her son's roommate said he'll risk eviction to make sure it stays.

Another Oaks Apartment resident, Judith Sherer, doesn't have a car. Instead she carries an American flag around the complex to protest the ban, and wonders if the flag pin she wears is next to be "singled out."

"If I put it on and I walk outside, what's going to happen?" Sherer muses. "Am I going to be confronted by a manager about this?"

We're told the ban includes sports flags and even flag stickers on cars.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the rebel in me would go out in the middle of the night and paint a flag in the parking lot. Make it as big as possible.

I cannot even begin to understand how anyone could look at me with a straight face and say I could not fly a US flag, and then give the reason someone might be offended.

Since when is flying the flag of your country "offensive"? And that B.S. about diversity is getting a little tired, if you ask me. I mean, show me a more diverse country anywhere on this planet than the United States of America. Just one. Yea, didn't think so. Because there isn't one. Man, if anyone ever deserved a good old fashioned ass-whoopin', it's that apartment manager.

I do believe I would be getting a lawyer.

Guest Muttling
the rebel in me would go out in the middle of the night and paint a flag in the parking lot. Make it as big as possible.

I cannot even begin to understand how anyone could look at me with a straight face and say I could not fly a US flag, and then give the reason someone might be offended.

I'm sure some would be offended and the liberal in me accepts that.

I have no problem with them being offended. In fact, I'd be delighted to see them be so offended that they renounced their U.S. citizenship.

Guest Jcochran88

When I lived in an apartment complex they had a rule of no flags on the balconies, but nothing was said about in the windows as above! In my apartments I believe they where more worried about people putting a bunch of holes in the rails or in the side of the buildings.

I cannot even begin to understand how anyone could look at me with a straight face and say I could not fly a US flag, and then try and figure out why they are picking themselves off the pavement

Fixxed it for ya Mike.:rofl:

Guest jackdm3

My parental units are BIG TIME liberals, and my father's view is:

It's a backward and stupid policy

It's unpatriotic not to fly our National flag

It's certainly a country that should allow every kind of flag, even the Klan (WOW!)

He'd buy more flags

Guest Gun Geek

What a bunch of B.S. I like the idea of painting a flag in the parking lot. Perhaps a trip is in order.

If you dont like the AMERICAN flag and dont want to see the AMERICAN flag while living here in AMERICA then go the F*** home. You left your country for a greater future, whether your birth country was a war zone or you just wanted more opportunity you came here by choice.. now assimilate and learn to love what you came to this country for and quit trying to turn it into your counrty that you loved so much to leave.

Sorry I am done.

What a bunch of B.S. I like the idea of painting a flag in the parking lot. Perhaps a trip is in order.

If you dont like the AMERICAN flag and dont want to see the AMERICAN flag while living here in AMERICA then go the F*** home. You left your country for a greater future, whether your birth country was a war zone or you just wanted more opportunity you came here by choice.. now assimilate and learn to love what you came to this country for and quit trying to turn it into your counrty that you loved so much to leave.

Sorry I am done.

+1 on that.

Wait, I am not allowed to put a sticker on MY PERSONAL PROPERTY or else I could be evicted?

I can fully understand you are not allowed to fly a flag from your balcony, the railing, the walls of your apartment, etc. but my personal property is just that and unless the supreme court states that it is illegal some apartment complex cannot make me stop.

I would like to see the LEASE that these people signed. If there is mention in there about not flying flags on their vehicles or hanging them from their windows then these people knew what they were getting in to and should take them down or move. If there is nothing in the lease about personal vehicles and flags/stickers of flags etc. then there is jack squat the apartment complex can do about it and an eviction would be taken to court and thrown out as wrongful.

but I am not a lawyer.

Hmm.

So, here is what I think should happen - they all should find more friendly places to move to, move, and tell their story. Hit her in the wallet, she'll change her mind.

Again - get everyone to threaten to MOVE OUT, and start looking for other places to live. If I had a place to rent in this economy, I would WANT PAYING TENANTS...

Surprised no other Apartment Complex has offered their location, and assisted in movement costs...

Seriously, they all need to move out - and make sure the public knows why, kill off the apartment complex and let the lady make no $$$$.

Guest jackdm3

If the good people decide not to stay in such a restrictive environment, who's left? That's right. The bad people. Certainly the owners and managers have the foresight to see the probable outcome.

(Still love your puppydawg!)

Hmm.

So, here is what I think should happen - they all should find more friendly places to move to, move, and tell their story. Hit her in the wallet, she'll change her mind.

Again - get everyone to threaten to MOVE OUT, and start looking for other places to live. If I had a place to rent in this economy, I would WANT PAYING TENANTS...

Surprised no other Apartment Complex has offered their location, and assisted in movement costs...

Seriously, they all need to move out - and make sure the public knows why, kill off the apartment complex and let the lady make no $$$$.

:yuck: + 1

If she is just the apartment manager, and not the apartment owner, I'd do everything in my power to get her ass fired. If this was the owner's directive, then I'd get the hell out of there so fast their heads would spin. And I'd make them take me to court to get any unpaid rent too. They could keep the deposit and kiss my ass.:yuck:

Guest H0TSH0T

i would not take it down, and fight the eviction, and file a large lawsuit both personally to the individual, and to the company.

simply you are paying for a space to live in that is what the lease regulates, if they want to start telling you what kind of vehicle accessories you can have in or on your car, they can make the payments.