.22LR handgun, opinions?

Guest mosinon

I don't think I'll be converting the beretta, I like that gun. Plus I just ran across a box of 9mm ammo.

I've got some money set aside for something like this so I'll get a dedicated 22. I might just wait until I can find one just like yours. I shot it and I really liked it so maybe I should just get what I know I want instead of buying something and hoping it's what I want.

Though this entirely your fault. Next time we hit the range just bring a slingshot. I'm bringing lots of 9 next time too so be prepared to go home with a couple of boxes you didn't bring.

Somehow I'm a little leery of Gunbroker, cause I'm still new and all. FTF doesn't bother me and new never bothers me but Gunboker... Well, I never got comfortable with stuff via ebay either.

Well, for used guns, you'll need to haunt gun stores and the few pawn shops that still mess with guns...

Also, there's the GOLSN spawned:

- Gun Owners Club! - A Place for Gun Enthusiasts

You can set Knoxville and x number of miles and keep an eye out there.

I didn't think to look for any .22 wheelies at the gun show over the weekend.

Oh, of course you should put an ad here in TGO under wanted to buy. Put in .22 revolver and see what might come around.

And of course keep an eye on the for sale section too, there was an H&R similar to mine offered about 2 months ago...I even thought about buying it:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-classifieds/25985-h-r-model-929-9-shot-da-22lr-revolver.html#post344352

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papabear
My favorite is a Ruger Single-six in 6 inch. I have over 5K through it without a failure and accuracy is still good

I also have a double action,, A Taurus Tracker in 6 in. Smooth and accurate. I paid $300 for it and like it very much, but my love is the single six. Look for TRACkER 22 and see how you like it.

I will second the Taurus Tracker its a nice gun for the money.

Guest someyoungguy

I've got an old H&R .22 9-shot wheel gun that my granddaddy gave me when I was just a boy. Things must have really been simpler back then. I remember him telling me he bought it at the Western Auto. That's the gun I learned to shot on and I still use it today. It's great to use in double action mode for practicing trigger control.

I have a Ruger MK III, they run 250-300 new around here. I love this gun. It had a few feeding and ejection issues for the first couple hundred rounds, but it runs great now. I've put Federal and Winchester bulk packs through it, it seemed to like the Winchester a bit better. Really accurate, and just a lot of fun to shoot.

There are some .22 wheelguns out there. H&R used to make some, I know Charter Arms makes a snubnose version. I think S&W has a few, also.

+1 - Ruger Mark III Hunter, 6 7/8" bbl, SS.

I have a nice little phoenix I can have dropped to your door next day if you use paypal. I'll cover the paypal fee's and part of the shipping. $190 delivered next business day.

It's listed in the trading post section.

mousegunner did a fine review on these a couple of weeks ago.

Guest sammiesadopteddad

I have a S&W model 317 airweight in 3 inch barrel that is fun to shoot. Eight shot, Hiviz sites, fun to shoot but it wasn't cheap. Retail $600.

If you want to buy every gun you shoot, better stay away from the Chiappa 1911-22, the Ruger Mark III, and the Beretta Neos. Whatever you buy, remember that 22's foul much more than other ammunition. Keep them clean and you can expect virtually flawless reliability.