.22LR handgun, opinions?

Guest mosinon

Guest mosinon

I've got a bad problem and that seems to be every gun I shoot I want to own. Which is bad because when I go shoting with OhShoot he brings a bunch of different guns and is nice enough to let me send some rounds down range. And, for the record, I've tried to give him ammo and such but he always refuses.

One of the guns I shot last time was an older 22 wheel gun. I loved it, I could shoot it all day. But when I look around I don't see a lot of 22 revolvers on the market. I'm not opposed, in principle, to a semi auto 22 pistol but I've heard those things jam quite a bit.

So I'm looking for opinions on a 22 handgun of some sort that would be available from a dealer. I don't have a problem buying one used but those can take a while to find and I'd like to pick one up this week.

Just to add some interest to the question, my current gun fund is like 550-600 but a 10/22 has to come out of that so price is an issue.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taurus 94, they can be had with 2, 4, and I think 6 inch barrels. What's not to love about a 9 shot 22lr wheel gun??

Or one of the various Herratige 22lr single action revolvers, be a cowboy on the cheap!

Other than that, Browning, Ruger, and most S&W autos work.

If you have a 1911/Glock there is always the 22 conversion option.

I have a Ruger MK III, they run 250-300 new around here. I love this gun. It had a few feeding and ejection issues for the first couple hundred rounds, but it runs great now. I've put Federal and Winchester bulk packs through it, it seemed to like the Winchester a bit better. Really accurate, and just a lot of fun to shoot.

There are some .22 wheelguns out there. H&R used to make some, I know Charter Arms makes a snubnose version. I think S&W has a few, also.

Guest mosinon
I've got a bad problem and that seems to be every gun I shoot I want to own. QUOTE]

I didn't know that to be a problem.

I guess it isn't problem if you've have lots of dough laying around. But I don't. So it is a real problem.

I shot an XD and want one, a .45 the other day and really want one, a .357 wheel gun and thought it was the best thing ever, a 22 rifle and I have to have that, a 22 revolver and really want one, a hi point 9mm carbine.... I really want that....

And I haven't even shot a shotgun yet. This hobby is going to make me permanently broke. But I won't mind too much:)

Dang money always gets in the way. I can spend time on TGO looking at guns and want to buy. I'm real bad. I go to the ammo counter and ask for a box of guns. It's great OS lets you shoot his so you can try a bunch of different actions, calibers ect. I used to have one of those 2 Ruger convertibles I liked real well. Haven't checked but I thought they still made them. I think the H&R was already brought up too.

Guest malbolja

I have a dandy little H&R (model 929 IIRC). They made single and double action models. Used to be common, but I haven't looked for one in a long time. But I prefer something like a S&W 617 that's built on a "full size" frame.

for a revolver look at a SW 617 or model 17 in in double action or a ruger single six in single action

for a semi-auto look at a ruger mark II or III either in regular or 22/45 version or a browning buckmark.

I had a mark3 22/45 and loved it. It shot anything you fed it and was quite accurate with federal bulk pack.

Edited by nightrunner
You are looking for a Ruger Single Six. You should be able to land one and a 10/22 for about $500 or little under if you shop used.

You can't go wrong with the Rugers.

The Single Six with both cylinders, gives you fun (22lr) and power (22mag).

A Mark II or III with a bull barrel is very accurate, as is a 10/22 with a bull barrel.

... There are some .22 wheelguns out there. H&R used to make some......

Yeah, Mosinon shot my H&R 922. They sell for under $200 when you can find them, and they made a bazillion of them in several different barrel lengths, my model made from 1950 to 1982.

I know Charter Arms makes a snubnose version.

Charter makes a target model in 4" also. 6 shots as opposed to 9 in the HR, but you don't have to remove cylinder to reload, either. :D

72240.gif

- OS

Guest oldhack62

I have a Norinco (ChiCom) Olympia TT .22 -- which is a knock-off of the Walther M1936 Olympia target pistol -- that goes with me to the range every time I go, just for the plinking fun of it. It's extremely accurate, too.

I don't see too many of them available out there (since we can't directly import weapons from China), but if you can find one at a reasonable price (up to, say, $250 or so), buy it. It should come with two magazines, by the way.

I'd look for a Ruger Single Six. Well actually, you should look for a Ruger Single Six. I colt a Colt Peacemaker that dearly love. So does my son. That is one tagged to keep and pass down to him when he gets old enough. On second thought, maybe I should look for Ruger Security Six...

You also can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark II or III, though it won't shoot different calibers. Still they are great pistols for the money. I have a bull barrel that is as accurate as I am.

I'd look for a Ruger Single Six. Well actually, you should look for a Ruger Single Six. I colt a Colt Peacemaker that dearly love. So does my son. That is one tagged to keep and pass down to him when he gets old enough. On second thought, maybe I should look for Ruger Security Six...

You also can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark II or III, though it won't shoot different calibers. Still they are great pistols for the money. I have a bull barrel that is as accurate as I am.

I'm jealous. The first handgun I ever shot was a Colt Peacemaker .22. It was stolen after my dad died and I've wanted to replace it ever since. One day I'll get one, if the price doesn't keep increasing almost exponentially.:usa:

I have a Mark III now and it is a great gun. I also had a Single Six which was also a great gun. You can't go wrong with either of those. I also have a Mosquito which is pretty darned reliable in spite of the Sigs somewhat spotty reputation. It does have a crappy double action trigger, and spongy single action trigger though. But it is really fun to shoot. A S&W Model 41(semi auto) or 617(DA revolver) are really top notch if you don't mind spending a bit more(or a lot more;)).

Guest mosinon
You know, there are .22LR conversion kits for the Beretta 92.

I know nothing about them other than they are out there.

- OS

I don't think I'll be converting the beretta, I like that gun. Plus I just ran across a box of 9mm ammo.

I've got some money set aside for something like this so I'll get a dedicated 22. I might just wait until I can find one just like yours. I shot it and I really liked it so maybe I should just get what I know I want instead of buying something and hoping it's what I want.

Though this entirely your fault. Next time we hit the range just bring a slingshot. I'm bringing lots of 9 next time too so be prepared to go home with a couple of boxes you didn't bring.

I had a Ruger 22/45 Mark II that I liked but I replaced it with Browning Buckmark Field Target which I like even better.

I had a Ruger Bearcat revolver I regret selling, I wish I could find another in stainless.

Although not quite as accurate as the Ruger or Browning, the Wather P22 is very fun to plink with.

My favorite is a Ruger Single-six in 6 inch. I have over 5K through it without a failure and accuracy is still good

I also have a double action,, A Taurus Tracker in 6 in. Smooth and accurate. I paid $300 for it and like it very much, but my love is the single six. Look for TRACkER 22 and see how you like it.

I don't think I'll be converting the beretta, I like that gun. Plus I just ran across a box of 9mm ammo.

It doesn't convert it permanently, just while you want to change to shooting .22 out of same gun. :usa:

Many Glock owners do that with a kit, comes with different slide/barrel, spring, mag. Although the kit is generally almost as expensive as another used gun....

- OS

I've got some money set aside for something like this so I'll get a dedicated 22. I might just wait until I can find one just like yours. I shot it and I really liked it so maybe I should just get what I know I want instead of buying something and hoping it's what I want. ...

There are a few on GunBroker most all the time.

- OS

I'm jealous. The first handgun I ever shot was a Colt Peacemaker .22. It was stolen after my dad died and I've wanted to replace it ever since. One day I'll get one, if the price doesn't keep increasing almost exponentially.:usa:

I had two of them. One was a 4" barrel. It had the .22 Mag cylinder with it. But it was stolen along with a Norinco .45 ACP and a Browning Hi-Power and a small security cabinet. The one I have now was at my dad's house along with the Mk II. I have both with me now. It has a 51/2" barrel.

I saw one with both cylinders and the box at J. Floyd's in Sevierville about a year ago. They wanted $650 for it. I thought it was a pretty good price. I just didn't have the money. Story of my life! :D

Guest mosinon
There are a few on GunBroker most all the time.

- OS

Somehow I'm a little leery of Gunbroker, cause I'm still new and all. FTF doesn't bother me and new never bothers me but Gunboker... Well, I never got comfortable with stuff via ebay either.