Ray's / Tomo in Knoxville

Guest Caveman

Guest Caveman

Just wanted to let everyone know Ray's ESG is posted now. I take out food from there because they are in the same shopping center as my store and they have good food. I called in an order yesterday, locked up to walk over and when I arrived I noticed their sign (slash through the gun with "no guns allowed") I turned around and walked back to my store. I called them to let them know I would not be picking up my order. The female on the phone asked why, and I explained that I saw their sign and would not be eating there anymore. She hung up on me. On a brighter note, Tomo next door to me is not posted, so I guess they will be getting more of my business now.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with the spirit of this thread, OP actually DID technically break a law, think it's something about "defrauding business" or something. In a minor way, also broke a contract, ie, broke a promise.

Methinks would have been classier to have paid for the order, then explained to manager/owner why it was the last one.

- OS

Guest Caveman
While I agree with the spirit of this thread, OP actually DID technically break a law, think it's something about "defrauding business" or something. In a minor way, also broke a contract, ie, broke a promise.

Methinks would have been classier to have paid for the order, then explained to manager/owner why it was the last one.

- OS

First of all I broke no law. Second of all I was carrying, If I would have gone in and paid I would be breaking the law. But I guess you think I should have walked all the way back to my store, put my gun up, and then walked back to Ray's to get my food. Oh darn, I guess I'm not classy. I better call my Mom & Dad to let them know they did a horrible job of raising me.

I understand the premise for protesting the gun slash circle sign, but that is not a legal sign in TN.. Depending on how I felt I probably would have made my purchase after finding the sign and then informed the manager of my intentions without telling them about improper signage.

I would for sure complain about having the phone hung up on me.

Just my thoughts.

Guest FortyFive2Life
I understand the premise for protesting the gun slash circle sign, but that is not a legal sign in TN.. Depending on how I felt I probably would have made my purchase after finding the sign and then informed the manager of my intentions without telling them about improper signage.

I would for sure complain about having the phone hung up on me.

Just my thoughts.

My thoughts exactly. The circle with a slash only is not proper signage, and therefore they have not legally banned firearms from their premises. In a case like that I would continue to carry concealed and just say nothing.

If you bring up that it's posted incorrectly, you can bet the store owner will rectify the situation to make it illegal for you to carry any longer.

First of all I broke no law. Second of all I was carrying, If I would have gone in and paid I would be breaking the law. But I guess you think I should have walked all the way back to my store, put my gun up, and then walked back to Ray's to get my food. Oh darn, I guess I'm not classy. I better call my Mom & Dad to let them know they did a horrible job of raising me.

You walk in, order a meal, and don't pay for it. Whether you eat it or not certainly is still stealing from the establishment. I see no difference in that and calling the order in.

If you choose to obey a non-compliant sign, okay, but is walking "all the way back to my store" like some big time trek or something?

But spin it whichever way makes you feel good.

- OS

While I don't like it, it's the store owner's RIGHT to post that sign. Giving him a hard time is just harassment. Not heeding the sign is breaking the law, you know the intent of the sign. We need to be adult about this issue or it will give the gun-grabbers ammo to use against us, pun intended.

:usa:HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY:usa:

US NAVY(retired)

Guest CrazyLincoln
You walk in, order a meal, and don't pay for it. Whether you eat it or not certainly is still stealing from the establishment. I see no difference in that and calling the order in.

If you choose to obey a non-compliant sign, okay, but is walking "all the way back to my store" like some big time trek or something?

But spin it whichever way makes you feel good.

- OS

I see your point, but by denying him entry they were in essence reserving the right to refuse service. Even though the sign is not legal, the owner has made his intentions clear. Proceeding despite that fact IS trespassing.

Let's say you walked in wearing a controversial or potentially offensive shirt covered by a jacket (and you are not intending to offend), and then ordered food. As your food arrives, you remove your jacket and the management asks you to leave immediately. You have not stolen from them, they simply have waited until an inconvenient time to refuse you service.

I imagine if they had made their firearms policy clear on the phone, then he would not have ordered and saved them the trouble, but since they do not make their policy known on the take-out menus (I'm assuming) or when orders are called in, they are responsible when they refuse service in an untimely manner.

However, had he known this in advance and still proceeded to order, knowing he was prohibited, then that would be fraudulent, but that is not the impression I get from the OP.

Yes, it would be considerate to pay the restaurant for their trouble, but it is not legally required in this instance. (In my opinion IANAL)

Edited by CrazyLincoln

Yes, it would be considerate to pay the restaurant for their trouble, but it is not legally required in this instance. (In my opinion IANAL)

Oh, whatever on the legal point...

Its' just that now there's one more establishment that has a personal experience showing that "those handgun people are such a_holes".

I think we should all try to leave that impression when we get a chance, eh?

- OS

Geez, lighten up Francis.

I am curious how you have been going there (??) and have never seen the gun/circle/slash sign before. It has been there for a long time.

So I am guessing you have carried there before.

Guest Caveman

Listen guys, I wasnt trying to be a d1ck to Ray's. I order out from there and usually have one of my employees go get it for me, I havent been up there myself in a while. I didnt realize they had signage up. Whether the signage is legal or not I know they dont want me in there with my gun so I wont go in, nor am I going to stand outside and start screaming through the door for someone to come outside. I went back to my store and called them to let them know. I was polite and had no attitude when I called. Furthermore I did not take or eat the food so I stole nothing. I don't now why some of you are making such a big deal about this. They did not want me in there store so I complied. I do not think I acted inappropriately and I wasnt being an a$$hole.

Guest Bluemax

Caveman, the way I read this according to law you did absolutely nothing wrong. I think what the other members are trying to express was that even though you had cause to react to their signage as you did, in this situation, if you had chosen to speak to a manager about the way you felt, we may have lost the battle but still could win the war so to speak..Just my opinion

Guest Bluemax
I hate Rays, but my friends always drag me there....its only slightly less trashy then Michaels was(people dont do coke in plain sight).

Thats an interesting thought since the same people that owned Michaels own Rays and the soon to be open Spice Rack, ...

Guest mosinon
I hate Rays, but my friends always drag me there....its only slightly less trashy then Michaels was(people dont do coke in plain sight).

People did coke in plain sight at Michaels? Kinda glad I outgrew the bar life before I moved here. I do, however, remember when Michaels was heavily advertising and such. Not my kind of place.

In any event, I wouldn't worry two seconds about this thing Caveman. You got hung up on and sine they didn't try to work it out I'd say it is on them. Not that it is that big of a deal anyway.

Tomos food is better anyway (probably healthier too) so I'd chalk it up as a win.

Lots of places post those signs knowing that they carry no weight with the law to make the sheeple feel better & don’t give a rats a$$ if you carry there or not as long as you do so concealed.<O:p</O:p

I think you are probably right about that.

I noticed that Applebees has removed their generiac "no guns allowed" sign. It was up in July, so I didn't eat lunch there.

Thursday, I had about a five month craving for one of their quesadilla(sp?) burgers. I went to the door, no sign, sat at the bar and had my burger and tea while CCing a 1911.

And the sum of all the posts makes it clear to me that WE are still divided.

A "mistake" or not, a "defraud" or not, a "proper" sign or not, gun owners are "a--holes" or not, lets get in one team, divided we fall.

We can't help but be divided. Some recognize the perceived rights of an HCP holder and some recognize the perceived rights of the business owner.