Unions Are AWESOME!

Guest SUNTZU

Union troubled by Eagle Scout project in Allentown -- chicagotribune.com

In pursuit of an Eagle Scout badge, Kevin Anderson, 17, has toiled for more than 200 hours hours over several weeks to clear a walking path in an east Allentown park.

Little did the do-gooder know that his altruistic act would put him in the cross hairs of the city's largest municipal union.

Nick Balzano, president of the local Service Employees International Union, told Allentown City Council Tuesday that the union is considering filing a grievance against the city for allowing Anderson to clear a 1,000-foot walking and biking path at Kimmets Lock Park.

"We'll be looking into the Cub Scout or Boy Scout who did the trails," Balzano told the council.

Balzano said Saturday he isn't targeting Boy Scouts. But given the city's decision in July to lay off 39 SEIU members, Balzano said "there's to be no volunteers." No one except union members may pick up a hoe or shovel, plant a flower or clear a walking path.

Yay, go SEIU! WOOHOO! DAMN that boyscout! Yeah!

obama-zombies-2.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave
It means some of Mr. Balzano's, uh, union associates will be delivering a dead fish to the scout chapter.

which the Boy Scouts will EXPERTLY fillet...and cook over an open campfire...gotta pass those Merit Badge tests

tdot are not union there are government employees

Union affiliation wasn't the point.

The point was how many you see standing, observing, supervising, and directing and how many you see actually doing work. All the road projects I've ever seen lead me to believe the ratio is always rather large...

LOL

Medical union employee - no one touches the chancres but us !

Pilots Union - no one may overfly Minneapolis but us !

UAW - no one may do nothing but us ! (but hey, we getz to move back to Michigan from Springhill if we wantz)

Air Traffic Controllers union - We will strike (now that Reagan is dead)

Three things here.

1) Who still does cub scouts at 17? Kid needs a girlfriend!

A good kid who doesn't waste his time with video games and useless crap. He'll be a good citizen. Probably be a tax payer and productive. Probably has an equally good kid for a girlfriend.

Of course he could have a girl friend and be hanging out smoking dope and being useless, but, hey, you can't have it all.

1st he neglected to have plans and specifications drawn up by an engineering consutling firm.

2nd he failed to have an enviornmental assessment before he moving any vegetation or distrubing any soil.

3rd he failed to put the job out for public bid to ensure the lowest and most responsible firm be awarded the work.

4th he failed to have proper construction inspection and also did not have a proper safety supervision present.

No good goverment job can be done simply so he earned his community service badge/award but failed his government service. Quite the conflict.

In reality I applaud the young man and can't believe the union would be so politically incorrect to express a public objection to this young man's effort.

I remember several years ago prior to my father's retirment he worked in one of the Oak Ridge labs as salaried employee. He told me the closest he ever came to being fired was because a piece of equipment in his work area became un-plugged from the wall. He picked up the plug and placed it in the wall socket and went on about his business and the electric workers union filed a grievance against him for denying them work. My wife, who is a manager at another Oak Ridge facility, also had a complaint filed against her by a laborers union for carrying more that one box to her car.

It would be impossible for me to use too many pejoratives in describing labor unions.

When I was a 1st LT in charge of a motor pool at Ft. Knox, I caught one of the civilian mechanics sleeping on the job. This guy had to be brought to work because of a "couple" DUI's on post and could not drive. He immediately showed up with his union rep demanding leniency and, according to union rules, I had to give it to him. I transferred his lazy butt to another unit, which is typical in that some poor other guy got this useless human. It's a sad, revolving door that usually ends at retirement.

He told me the closest he ever came to being fired was because a piece of equipment in his work area became un-plugged from the wall. He picked up the plug and placed it in the wall socket and went on about his business and the electric workers union filed a grievance against him for denying them work.

I have a buddy who is a master mechanic for Harley. He attended a large convention up @ Harley's HQ in Milwaukee. He noticed the lights for one of their booths weren't plugged in, and almost gave one of his superiors a massive coronary when he picked it up to plug it in... "NOOOOOOOOO! We have to call an electrician!" :rolleyes:

I also have an uncle who is retired from Ford glass plant. He told me a story several years ago about his line being down for 3hrs one day. He grabbed a broom to tidy up his area. He said that's the kind of mistake you only make once when you work for a union like that.