I ruined my M44

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you ruin it. Mine did the same thing a mosin 91/30. I ran some kerosene on a metal

brush and then used "Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner".

Rust Removal with Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner Blue Wonder Gun Care Products - Cleaner, Bluing and Protection

You can buy it at Academy Sports. Make sure you follow the directions.

I will look into that but the barrel has some pretty bad pitting.
Thanks for the cautionary tale. If you don't mind, please describe your last cleaning efforts so I can be sure to go further.
It has been in storage for a year so I'm not really sure what I did to it before I left.
Guest Straight Shooter

My first Mosin had BAD pitting, most of it was between the rifling lands, not across it. It shot palm sized groups at 100 yds with half-century old ammo.

So maybe all is not lost. Let us know!

Guest Crunchman

I've run into several Mosins and Mausers that have rusty barrels. I clean the bore with brass brushes and bore cleaner, then I use a Kroil soaked patch and leave overnight. The next day I use a brass brush until the bore starts shining. I have worn out a half dozen brushes on a really cruddy barrel. Dry the bore with several patches. If it still looks dirty, coat 5 or 6 bullets with a light coat of red jewellers rouge and fire them through it, clean again with the bore cleaner and Kroil. This process will get the bore as good as it's going to get. Always clean the bore after firing corrosive ammo with an ammonia containing cleaner. I use Windex with ammonia on a soaked patch, then clean normally with your bore cleaner of choice, dry well, then put a light coat of oil in the bore before storing. I have a Yugo M-48A Mauser that I thought the bore was hopeless. After this process, it turned into the best shooting 8mm in my collection.

I love this rifle more then ever now. My sister also just gave me a 91/30! :)

I wanna like the 91\30s,but I'm afraid that its too long to fit in the back of my Trailblazer. I'd prolly have to throw it up on my luggage rack,and use a ladder rack on the front

ladder_rack.jpg

Well I got a chance to fire my M44. After a few rounds and a brush the bore looks as good as new! I am really suprised how good it looks now. :up:

Don't forget that if you used surplus ammo to treat it as corrosive. Usually the primer is the culprit, when fired it coats the inside of the firearm with corrosive salt residue. When the salts combine with moisture, damage starts to occur like the rust you saw. Oils or petroleum based products will not break down the corrosive salts and therefore are ineffective in cleaning or neutralizing the salt compounds found in corrosive ammo.

Simple fix is to use a mix of dashwasher soap and water or just plain water to break down the corrosive salts. First clean the bore and bolt with this mix, then run a few patches to dry everything up and then finish with your favorite cleaner and light coat of oil.

Don't forget that if you used surplus ammo to treat it as corrosive. Usually the primer is the culprit, when fired it coats the inside of the firearm with corrosive salt residue. When the salts combine with moisture, damage starts to occur like the rust you saw. Oils or petroleum based products will not break down the corrosive salts and therefore are ineffective in cleaning or neutralizing the salt compounds found in corrosive ammo.

Simple fix is to use a mix of dashwasher soap and water or just plain water to break down the corrosive salts. First clean the bore and bolt with this mix, then run a few patches to dry everything up and then finish with your favorite cleaner and light coat of oil.

I spray with Windex, swab it and then use a patch in the barrel. Then CLP until clean.

Last time it took 20+ patches to clean which seems typical of the surplus ammo.

I usually rinse my mosin's out with water when cleaning them. However I must have forgotten to rinse with water the last time I cleaned it.

I won't be making that mistake again. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest GenNBForrest
I spray with Windex, swab it and then use a patch in the barrel. Then CLP until clean.

Last time it took 20+ patches to clean which seems typical of the surplus ammo.

This is an excellent method with corrosive surplus ammo. Just make sure the Windex bottle say "with ammonia" It is the ammonia that neutralizes the corrosive salts in the propellant.

• 2 weeks later...
This is an excellent method with corrosive surplus ammo. Just make sure the Windex bottle say "with ammonia" It is the ammonia that neutralizes the corrosive salts in the propellant.

I thought it was the water, lots of people use soap and water for the same effect.