coyote hunting

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Conrad

to Razorback2003; I think you can use high power rifles and shotguns with 'T' shot and smaller after the small game season is over on the WMA's.... there is also a rumor that the TWRA is going to change that rule but for small game season only. The big game season will stay whatever weapon is legal for big game will be legal for coyotes. But on a different note i called in a coyote this morning at about 10 o'clock had him broadside at 30 yards and somehow manage to miss him with my 270. Guess "coyote" fever got the best of me. Oh well try again later, next time i will also bring my shotgun loaded with 3.5 inch dead coyote loads.

to Razorback2003; I think you can use high power rifles and shotguns with 'T' shot and smaller after the small game season is over on the WMA's.... there is also a rumor that the TWRA is going to change that rule but for small game season only. The big game season will stay whatever weapon is legal for big game will be legal for coyotes. But on a different note i called in a coyote this morning at about 10 o'clock had him broadside at 30 yards and somehow manage to miss him with my 270. Guess "coyote" fever got the best of me. Oh well try again later, next time i will also bring my shotgun loaded with 3.5 inch dead coyote loads.

Conrad, sorry the shot just didn't go where you wanted it to. Don't feel too bad, we've all done that at one time or another. What call and what calls were you using to get him in that close? Were you using a ground blind, or just full camo? Hope you get him next time... and remember, we want to see pictures!

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Guest 270win

It would be nice to be able to use centerfire on coyotes year round on public and private land during all seasons. That would get me more interested in taking up the sport and also help reduce coyote numbers. I know that the game commission does the caliber restrictions to cut down on poaching.....but honestly...someone who is varmit hunting will be varmit hunting....and if a deer is killed with a rifle during bow season...it will be obvious when the deer is checked in. Coyotes and wild hogs are both a big problem and every means must be used to control them.

Guest Conrad

hello sidewinder, i was using a primos lil dog open reed call and was blowing what some would call a coyote locator howl. the place i hunted has a lot off coyotes and they havent been hunted at all by anyone in quite awhile. i have tried to call coyotes before using prey sounds without to much luck. however last spring i stumbled on the locator howl to call in coyotes by accident. I have not had much luck using crow calls and owl hoots to locate turkeys, but on time on tv a guy was using a coyote howl to locate turkey so i thought i would give it try. on my first attempt to locate a turkey i let out a few howls and after about 10 minutes a coyote walked right up to me i was as surprised as he was. i was just standing there and had my gun on my shoulder by the time i got it down the coyote had turned and run a little and stopped i took a shot but a fallen tree was in the way so i missed. that is when i decided a coyote howl would bring them alot closer than a prey call has. I didnt even see the coyote today until it come up on the hill i was sitting on. i thought they would come straight ahead but he came from my right. i was standing at the edge of some woods with my gun resting on a fence post in full camo. he came up the hill stopped broad side looked at me and i took the shot don't know where i missed but i did none the less.

That's good info, Conrad. I got 2 of 'em in to the field adjacent to the field I was hunting in this am. Because of brush coverage and high grass, there was no shot on them. I couldn't get them to come any closer using the "Wounded rabbit" distress call. Figure them to have been about 350 yards or so out, not a super tough shot on flat plains, but a real frustrating one in the hills and undergrowth of SE TN. I got your PM, I'll shoot you a pm next time I know for sure I'm headed up.

ok i will i guess i have some reloading to do what is your prefered weapon and caliber for them coyotes?

I use a .22-250, Remington 700 VTR and Remington 788. If you have a .223 or .22-250, I have more than enough ammo for everyone involved.

Guest Conrad

i have a remington 722 in 222 a marlin xl7 in 270 and a ruger m77 mkII in 338 win mag so the 222 and the 270 are my best bets right now i think i will try my 222 next time

I am having no luck. Only thing I have been killing is TICKS and lots of them. I don't mind the heat but man the ticks are bad. I think I am going to wait another month or so before I go back out. The pups should be leaving the dens around August.

101, I agree, the ticks and chiggers... and mosquitoes are the worse I can ever remember, at least here in the Middle Tennessee area. It may have something to do with less cotton production, therefore fewer insecticide chemicals to keep them thinned down. I wish I knew a good old time remedy potion to put on my clothes, maybe around my socks or pants legs, that would repel the ticks and chiggers right from the start. Anybody got any of these to share with the rest of us? I've heard that kerosene works for bank fishing and berry picking, but the game would probably smell it a long way off!

Guest BEARMAN
101, I agree, the ticks and chiggers... and mosquitoes are the worse I can ever remember, at least here in the Middle Tennessee area. It may have something to do with less cotton production, therefore fewer insecticide chemicals to keep them thinned down. I wish I knew a good old time remedy potion to put on my clothes, maybe around my socks or pants legs, that would repel the ticks and chiggers right from the start. Anybody got any of these to share with the rest of us? I've heard that kerosene works for bank fishing and berry picking, but the game would probably smell it a long way off!

Deep Woods Off (un-scented) or Permanon w/ Deet.

Deep Woods Off (un-scented) or Permanon w/ Deet.

Thats basically what I have been using. I am just going to scout a little and wait till cooler weather gets here before I go back out, unless someone really needs them killed.

Just an update:

The 'yotes I've been after (and can't get within a shootable distance because of undergrowth, trees, etc.) were hanging out in the field I hunt from, approximately 25 - 50 yards from my spot. 8 of 'em singing at full throttle at around 9pm last night. Open field and all.

Conrad, if you're reading, get ready for this weekend. I'll shoot you a pm later in the week about Saturday afternoon.

What time of day are you hunting; morning or evening?

I went out yesterday morning. I didn't see any. There were rabbits everywhere, so i used a K&H cottontail distress call.

I've been both, but only see them in the late afternoon (8:30 - 9:15 or so), so the early mornings are no more. Afternoon hunting only.

• 4 weeks later...

about quarter til 6 this morning the dogs were barking like crazy, got up and looked out the window and could see something but not sure what it was, figured it was a fawn. It fell back, the dogs advanced. I knew then it was not a fawn. Got the binocs out and could then see it was a yote. It seemed really interested in my dogs. It ran around the edge probably into some tall grass where they weren't high enough to see over, they quit barking, then a couple min. later they started up again. He had moved off to the side but was about 75 yds from the house. I ran for my .222 and by then he had moved back over to where he was to start out with, still about 75 yds. off. I took a good steady bead on him from the porch, in my underwear, and touched off a round dead center of his chest, I thought. He was looking right at me. He bolted like he was shot from a cannon after I fired. Thought for sure I would have nailed him, I can't believe I didn't. He was running fast, wife said he disappeared down the hill running fast. He was a pretty good size yote. My dogs are pretty good size too, 65 lbs or so, and he appeared comparable. I looked down the hill to see if I could see him, didn't. I still can't believe it was a miss.

Not sure if he was trying to lure my dogs out into the field, or what. He hung around a pretty good while when they were barking, moving closer and farther away. I didn't see any others.

Too bad you didn't nail that rascal. Hopefully, you'll get a perfect hit next time. Did you see any blood, or do you think it was a complete miss?

It might possibly have been a male after one of your females, if you have one in heat. I've also heard of female yotes, in heat, luring male dogs out to where the pack could have a feast on them. But, I think it's the wrong time of the year for female coyotes to be in heat. I'm thinking they just went through the pup nursing thing a few months back. If that's wrong, someone with the correct info can chime in and give us accurate information.

Glad they didn't get one of your dogs. I saw one trying to cross I-24 near Murfreesboro Friday afternoon around 6 PM.

Throw all of the bums out in November! It'll be good for the country, and let them know "we the people" are still in power, and in charge!

both my dogs are female, but both are "fixed". Gonna do a little sighting in this afternoon and see what's going on. I fired it a couple of months ago and it looked real good.

I looked around for some blood, didn't see any but wasn't sure I was in the right spot. I've shot crows twice this far, still can't believe it.

I took a good steady bead on him from the porch, in my underwear, and touched off a round dead center of his chest, I thought. He was looking right at me.

If I went out on the porch to shoot a coyote in my underwear and the coyote had looked right at me I wouldn't have needed the gun. Pretty sure it would have just keeled right over, DRT...

I'm just sayin...

Mark