coyote hunting

Not today. I did get to scout it though. I carried a gun but didn't expect to bust one without knowing the lay of the land and all. I saw some promising setups and got a feel for the property boundaries (which is hard in some spots due to no post/fencing). I just hate to think I'm trespassing on someone else's land. The next outing should be promising!

Sometimes I enjoy the scouting as much as the hunting. It's fun to get out and explore a new piece of hunting property. I need to get busy looking for a place, or I'll be on the WMA's this year. Are you going to be able to hunt turkey and deer there as well?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://Yotes030.jpg

A picture of Dave (WD) with a couple of yotes and our setup. Hope ya'll enjoy the picture. I'm in the proccess of tanning the hides. I got a friend at work involved in coyote hunting, and while using a distress call this morning, the farmer's mule got after him! I never laughed so hard in my life!

I just noticed the part about your friend and the farmer's mule. You might have to add a video camera to your gear. :up:

Guest GunTroll
Sometimes I enjoy the scouting as much as the hunting. It's fun to get out and explore a new piece of hunting property. I need to get busy looking for a place, or I'll be on the WMA's this year. Are you going to be able to hunt turkey and deer there as well?

Deer is a no go. Land owners brother has priority. He only hunts in rifle season so perhaps they might let me go out for archery but I don't know. Baby steps. As for turkey......I sure hope so. Land seems promising to hold at least a few birds.

And I agree on the scouting. I had so much fun just walking around and learning the lay of the land. I didn't see any sign of yotes but I hear them in that direction from my house often. I did encounter a domesticated dog. Mean SOB! He was collared and living in one of the out buildings. I did see lots of deer sign. Rubs, scrapes, and tracks. I know the season is a distant memory but I just love seeing that stuff regardless.

It looks like the pelts on WD-40's coyotes are pretty good, for this part of the country. Maybe this is because of the harsher winter we're having this year. How about the rest of you coyote hunters out there, are you finding the fur to be better this year than past years?

" To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth". Theodore Roosevelt

These yotes had some really thick winter fur. Not used to seeing that here. They tanned out really nice too!

Now WD-40, you know we want to see a pic of those tanned out hides! Curious to see how much of the hide you skinned out. Thanks.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth". Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 months later...

Went on my first coyote hunt yesterday. Did not see one, but the landowner showed me their den. It's a big den in a wash out, under tree roots and rocks. We stood on top of it, so we may have spooked them for yesterday.

For you experienced coyote hunters, what is the best approach... make a stand close to the den, or set up away from the den and try to call? They almost killed one of the landowners beagles, so he wants them DRT. Thanks.

Guest Patty

If you already know that they will attack the land owners dogs, then a method that also works is to use the dogs to attract the yotes. And then shoot the yotes. You can set out a distress call, and send the beagle in the area, the coyotes will be around, if they are in that area.

I wouldn't risk the dogs life especially if the coyote gets in before you can get a shot off then it will be to late and the dog will be attacked. Trying to shoot a coyote that is attacking another animal would be risky, you could shoot the animal that you don't want to. You could play a pup distress to mimic a wounded or lost puppy.

The land owner and his wife takes their dogs out of the kennels, he has lots of hunting dogs, and lets them run in the late afternoon, as they walk along with them. He said he's had to run ahead of the dog and whistle loudly to scare off the coyote!

I know what you're thinking... why don't he just take a gun, because he is a hunter and has guns, and just shoot the coyote when he tries to attack the dogs. He says if he has his gun the coyote will not come out... but if he doesn't have a gun, the coyote is pretty bold!

I'm interested in techniques you coyote hunters would use to get the drop on these coyotes, and rid the landowner of the threat to his dogs. Thanks again.

he could play a pup distress to mimic a wounded or lost puppy.

I would try this. If not maybe he could set up somewhere for a while then have someone else walk the dogs then he would have a jump on them when they came out.