coyote hunting

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes!

Either really. It's been my experience that I have seen them at all times of the day. It depends on what's going on in their life at that time. If you can call well and they can hear it and care to come look, you'll see them. You can hunt them like deer if you can figure out their most frequented travel paths and just get there and stay quiet. They are really wary creatures though most of the time. You would think that one would walk by a trail camera once in a while since there are deer there all the time, but no, I have never gotten a picture of a coyote. May need to use their type of bait (old deer parts) and see whats in the area.

i have a call but not to sure if i'm making it sound right. i need to get on youtube and watch and listen to see if i'm making the right noises or not! or have someone teach me, but i don't know anyone! lol

Get Byron South's DVDs. I know him personally and he is a GREAT guy ... not to mention that he kills coyotes in very large numbers. He's just "one of the boys" and does a fantastic job teaching.

Voice of experience here: "If" you should decide to get an electronic caller, do yourself a favor and get a GOOD caller, not one of the el-cheapo jobs. They are a total waste of money. A good mouth call will do just fine, but it's far better if you can get that sound away from your position.

As for the time of day, they are usually easier to call in late evening after they have been lying up during the day. Not to say that they won't or can't be called any other time, but that has been my experience.

i have a call but not to sure if i'm making it sound right. i need to get on youtube and watch and listen to see if i'm making the right noises or not! or have someone teach me, but i don't know anyone! lol

If you sound like something dying you'll get them to come. Sometimes I think the odd/bad/??/not perfect calls work better. BTW, don't start hunting coyotes unless you just like being annoyed, pi$$ed, and tickled to death at the same time. Takes a special type of insanity to enjoy calling coyotes.

Anyone in the Murfreesboro-Lascassas area that has successful coyote hunting experience that would be willing to share some tips on how to get started? Mainly, on how you find hunting areas, other than WMAs, and what is the best approach to get permission to hunt on a farmer's land. Are most agreeable, or are they afraid you'll shoot their livestock or private deer stock? Do you get written permission to hunt on their land, or is a verbal Ok good enough? No doubt it's best if you've known someone for a long time, but nowadays that's near impossible. Do you find it best to hunt alone, or with a partner? I guess the pelts are saved in the winter. How do you dispose of the rest of the coyote carcass? I realize there are some DVDs and other information available, but I'm primarily interested in hunting here in the Middle Tennessee area. Thanks, and any info will be greatly appreciated.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

If you are going to hunt someone else's land you MUST get it in writing.

I would suggest some of the rural area stores, the ones on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. They usually have a bulletin board or area where all the business cards and offers to baby sit and mow lawns are. Put a notice up to all farmers that you will clear them of coyote for free with out hurting their deer or livestock.

That or if you can find a group of older gentlemen sitting around drinking coffee in one of these spots in the morning, sit close and laugh at a joke or something and work yourself into the conversation and make an offer or seek info on who's got a problem.

You might even get an invite to hunt other things if your good.

If you are going to hunt someone else's land you MUST get it in writing.

I would suggest some of the rural area stores, the ones on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. They usually have a bulletin board or area where all the business cards and offers to baby sit and mow lawns are. Put a notice up to all farmers that you will clear them of coyote for free with out hurting their deer or livestock.

That or if you can find a group of older gentlemen sitting around drinking coffee in one of these spots in the morning, sit close and laugh at a joke or something and work yourself into the conversation and make an offer or seek info on who's got a problem.

You might even get an invite to hunt other things if your good.

Thanks for that good advice Right-Winger. I'll get started on that right away. I'm one of those older gentlemen, so maybe I can fit right in. Been hunting all of my life, since the 50s, but never hunted coyotes...never saw one, except in the cartoons, until the last 10-15 years. It just seems like it is hunting one could do year around, and it's helping someone out at the same time. I've been checking out some of the mouth calls at Dick's Sporting Goods, here in Murfreesboro...any suggestions? Thanks again.

Anyone in the Murfreesboro-Lascassas area that has successful coyote hunting experience that would be willing to share some tips on how to get started? Mainly, on how you find hunting areas, other than WMAs, and what is the best approach to get permission to hunt on a farmer's land.

I ain't telling ya nothing! I want them all for myself.

Rightwinger is giving good advice. I'd add the Co-Op to the list. One approach I've had a little luck letting them know I'd be using is a shotgun or a 17 Rem/22 Hornet. Seems to make the farmers feel better than a 223/243. The odds of hurting livestock in their eyes is lower. I like BB's and T's. They seem to think someone crazy enough to use a 17 Rem/22 Hornet can probably shoot it. I _really_ like 357 and 9mm.

Get a decent electronic call with a remote as soon as you find out you are hooked. That'd be about the first time a coyote shows up even if you miss.

Tn pelts aren't usually worth the trouble. If you have access to a fishing pond, rig up a float with a mesh grill. As the maggots/bugs finish off the coyote, they will be falling off and feeding the fish - making a fishing hot spot for grub loaded jigs. :)

An aside about mouth calls, one of my buddies was facing the wrong way when a grey fox came blasting in and stopped in his lap looking for the critter. I really wish that was on camera.

Grimel I can just hear the fun you have coyote hunting in your words. Thanks for the additional advice. I hadn't given the shotgun much consideration, even though I have a couple in 20 & 12 gauge. From the videos I've seen, it looked like a lot of them would hang up out at about a hundred yards. Do you have experience with a particular electronic caller that you like...including the price?

Do you use a ground blind or blend as best you can with the natural surroundings? I hear they are even more wary than a buck.

I was hoping to be able to use my little savage .243 with a scope, to nail them when they decide to hold up a hundred yards out. It doesn't surprise me that the Tennessee pelts are no good. Are they infested with fleas, ticks, and such from our warm climate? Thanks for your response. I'm trying to learn all I can about coyote hunting. May be wrong, but believe they have possibly contributed to the decline of quail and rabbits in this area.

Grimel I can just hear the fun you have coyote hunting in your words. Thanks for the additional advice. I hadn't given the shotgun much consideration, even though I have a couple in 20 & 12 gauge. From the videos I've seen, it looked like a lot of them would hang up out at about a hundred yards. Do you have experience with a particular electronic caller that you like...including the price?

Everyone I know that has a Foxpro likes it. Some of them are in the $200ish range if you scour the internet sites. Ebay is a good place.

Do you use a ground blind or blend as best you can with the natural surroundings? I hear they are even more wary than a buck.

Hunting the hunters is a whole new level of fun. I try to get about 20-30yds from the call (if you get a decoy they tend to focus on the wiggling fur say a squirrl/rabbit tail if you don't go factory, even a tuft of feathers). I move around 20-40 minutes to a stand. I go camo and get a good backdrop with some side protection (if that makes sense) and have at it.

I was hoping to be able to use my little savage .243 with a scope, to nail them when they decide to hold up a hundred yards out. It doesn't surprise me that the Tennessee pelts are no good. Are they infested with fleas, ticks, and such from our warm climate? Thanks for your response. I'm trying to learn all I can about coyote hunting. May be wrong, but believe they have possibly contributed to the decline of quail and rabbits in this area.

Shotgun vs rifle: in close cover the shotgun rules. If you use DeadCoyote 3" T's with a patternmaster choke people are getting 70yd dead coyotes, a regular turkey choke 50yds maybe 60yds. In more open areas, rifles are good. But, if the choice is shotgun or no hunt, well, I'll take a shotgun and look for a place to make them come closer.

Pelts, too hot here to develop a good fur.

Coyotes are good hunters. They take out all the ground nesting birds and rabbits and squirrels. I started out hunting them because they were eating our small dogs (lhas and shiztzu). Using a NEF 243 I was making d@mn sure they didn't go anywhere. I went to a 17 Rem because it kills them DRT if you can shoot and it's relatively cheap. Lately, I'm finding packs, 3-12 in the group, yes, packs are a lot harder to not get busted. Soooo, I want more BB's and I can shoot a shotgun faster in close with hits than a rifle. A lot of people are using AR's. Use your Savage and get ready for lots of fun. Eventually, you'll have a shotgun, bolt, and semi for different conditions - all camoed. This might be more expensive than deer/turkey hunting.

Man! there's a lot to learn about hunting the yote! Sorry they got your dogs Grimel. But, it sounds like you've had pretty good luck whacking your share of the coyotes! That's one of the reasons I wanted to get into hunting them... because they eliminated the bird hunting around here in Middle Tennessee.

I'm not familiar with the 17 Rem round. Are you talking about the 17 HMR in .22 Cal. or something altogether different? I can see where the shotgun would be faster when they move in fast. The only shotguns I have that shoot 3" shells are in 20 Ga. Do they make the "DeadCoyote 3" T's in 20 Ga, or is it just too light for the job? Maybe a Savage model 24 over/under would work OK. Just trying to figure out what I've got to do the job...without getting into that expense you were talking about! I guess you have to pay to play! If the pelts around here are no good, no worry about blasting them away, I guess.

Thanks for the info on the Foxpro. I'll check out the net for the best bang for the buck. Are they pretty rugged, as far as getting rained or snowed on... getting wet?

It might be more expensive than deer/turkey hunting, but it seems like it's as much fun...if you're good at it. Thanks again, and keep the free information coming. I soak it up like a sponge, and appreciate every bit anyone is willing to share.

does anybody eat yotes or do you just shoot em, take a picture, do a little dance and leave? or can they be used for anything? i hate to shoot something and not eat it but i know these things are nasty little animals that most people want gone!

I'm not familiar with the 17 Rem round. Are you talking about the 17 HMR in .22 Cal. or something altogether different?

Something different. It's a centerfire. The first to break 4000fps. Same diameter just heavier and faster. Pin prick going in then grenades - no exit. If I think there is a chance of calling in a bobcat ($$$) I'd have a 17 centerfire of some sort.

I can see where the shotgun would be faster when they move in fast. The only shotguns I have that shoot 3" shells are in 20 Ga. Do they make the "DeadCoyote 3" T's in 20 Ga, or is it just too light for the job?

I usually use 2 3/4 BB's. I wish Tn would let us use buckshot. 2 3/4 #4 buckshot looks to be about "perfect".

Maybe a Savage model 24 over/under would work OK. Just trying to figure out what I've got to do the job...without getting into that expense you were talking about! I guess you have to pay to play! If the pelts around here are no good, no worry about blasting them away, I guess.

There are a LOT of people looking for the 24 (check out the used prices!) to use on coyotes - only need 1 gun for shotgun or rifle conditions. Me, I like toys. :koolaid: My current favorite would be a 6" 357 mag. I'm down to 1 single shot 12ga and no "real" varmint gun (just a contender barrel away). With the number of groups being see lately around here, I'm wanting a repeater.

It might be more expensive than deer/turkey hunting, but it seems like it's as much fun...if you're good at it. Thanks again, and keep the free information coming. I soak it up like a sponge, and appreciate every bit anyone is willing to share.

It's fun even when you aren't good. I'm a piker learning by screwing it up. :hiding:

Grimel, you guys started started something with the 17 Rem. I stayed up until 3 AM researching that bad boy! That is an impressive round. Does Savage make one? I don't want to pay big bucks just because it has a fancy stock!

Thanks again, for all the information. This is the best research available... you guys have real life experience at hunting these "yotes"!

Guest Jcochran88
Grimel, you guys started started something with the 17 Rem. I stayed up until 3 AM researching that bad boy! That is an impressive round. Does Savage make one? I don't want to pay big bucks just because it has a fancy stock!

Thanks again, for all the information. This is the best research available... you guys have real life experience at hunting these "yotes"!

Don't look like savage makes one. Checked on gun broker for one there was one remington for under 500.

i think i'm going to stick with the ar-15 loaded with hornady A-max 55gr and also taking my pump shotgun....are you not allowed to use buck shot on yotes? here's a question....why do they call it buckshot when you can't hunt deer or animals with it? it should be called homedefense shot or burglershot. lol

If you have a Savage short action, you can buy a .223 bolt/bolt face and install a .17 barrel.

The cheapest way is to find a used one or a barrel for a Contender or an upper for an AR.

It is a handloader's game if you plan on shooting it much. A 22 hornet is another option or a basic 223 - all of those can be had for under $400. Some under $200.

i think i'm going to stick with the ar-15 loaded with hornady A-max 55gr and also taking my pump shotgun....are you not allowed to use buck shot on yotes? here's a question....why do they call it buckshot when you can't hunt deer or animals with it? it should be called homedefense shot or burglershot. lol

That AR would be bad news for coyotes In Tn you can't use buckshot except in areas by referendum. In other places (Michigan for one) buckshot has been used on deer for generations. My papaw told me if I was going to use buckshot, shoot twice automatically.

i

question....why do they call it buckshot when you can't hunt deer or animals with it? it should be called homedefense shot or burglershot. lol

They call it buckshot because you "usta-could" shoot bucks with it.

I think some states, some areas mandate buckshot for hunting deer as to avoid the problem of the projectile of a rifle traveling too far.

oldogy

I ran upon a web site a while back that had instructions on how to make your own electronic call and some downloadable MP3 files of what should be played. Anybody ever try it? I had all the parts laying around and fixed one up, but don't know enough about how electronic calls are supposed to sound to know if this setup is any good. Here's the web site: Varmint Al's Hunting Page

I've set mine out a few times. It really gets the attention of the horses next door, but that's about it.