coyote hunting

Here is my two cents about a coyote rifle/cartridge, The .222 remington. You can sometimes find a rifle for under $300 that will most likely be super accurate and if you look you can find ammo at reasonable prices. I know some people think the .222 is obsolete but i have killed bobcats and deer with mine and cannot recommend a better 200-250 yard varmint cartridge. And yes with Barnes 53 grain TSX works just fine for deer at under 100 yards, which is where most deer are killed anyway.

Would this .222 be on a Savage Model 24 combination over/under by chance? I believe savage makes one.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the approx. effective range of .223 out of a 16" bbl AR-15 on coyote sized game?

How far can you keep your shots in a 6" circle? If you reload, look in the pistol section. Reloaded "right"* you won't give up that much to a 20" factory load.

I know people who can hit soda cans at 300yd with a 14" Contender pistol.

* by right I mean with powder better suited to 14-16" Contender pistol barrels not over published data!

No my 222 is a remington model 722 made in the late 1950's. but i have owned several 222's a couple of savage 340's and 840's and a remington model 788 and none have disappointed in terms of accuracy. I killed my first deer with a borrowed 788 in 222.

How far can you keep your shots in a 6" circle? If you reload, look in the pistol section. Reloaded "right"* you won't give up that much to a 20" factory load.

I know people who can hit soda cans at 300yd with a 14" Contender pistol.

* by right I mean with powder better suited to 14-16" Contender pistol barrels not over published data!

My .223 contender will do sub MOA groups easy, if I do my part

Good stuff in this thread!

What is the best shot size from a 12ga? I know there are restrictions on WMAs, but what about private land? I would like to have a shotgun available in addition to my rifle... I need to put my 1100 back into service. It has the old fixed full choke bbl, so I have retired it from waterfowl hunting because of the steel shot.

Edited by Batman
here's an nice collection of MP3 files for yote calling if you have built a homemade e-caller. Some of the mix tracks seem really good. MS Custom Calls MP3 List

Just treated myself to an early Christmas present tonight from Dick's, a FoxPro "Spitfire" electronic caller. Just got it a couple of hours ago, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. The box says it has 24 sounds already on it, but that I can buy more sounds from FoxPro. No idea what they cost, but always like "free"! Do you know if I can put these MP3 sounds on my FoxPro card? If not, does anyone out there know where I can get free sounds off the net to put on there? Also, I'd be thrilled if someone that has actual coyote experience with this unit, would post your results. Is it a good piece of equipment to call yotes in, or did I just blow a couple hundred dollars on a pig in a poke! Thanks.

Buying a FoxPro product is NEVER a waste of money, IMO.

You can purchase and download sounds on their website.

I would strongly suggest that you tune into their forums at FOXPRO, Inc. - High Performance Game Calls. Just look under the "community" category.

You'll find everything that you want to know about FoxPro on that site.

Thanks for the advice and the link tip. My unit has volume only up to a number 5, that being 1-5. Is 5 loud enough to get the ones out there a ways, especially if there's some wind? Haven't tried it in the woods yet, just wondering.

Also, what about a .223 for yote hunting here in Middle Tennessee? Some have said it's more practical than the .22-250. I like the cheapness of the ammo, and if I can find one of those butt ugly, synthetic stock, Savages in the .223 caliber, I just might go with it. I prefer a hunting style rifle to the military style ARs. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with that model FoxPro. Register on their forums and ask those guys about it.

As for the .223 being enough of a rifle to use in Mid TN, I have hunted with several folks in Texas and Arizona that use .223s and they have no problems. If it's enough gun out there, then we shouldn't be worried about it in the close quarters that we hunt around here. I zero my .223s to shoot 1.5" high at 100 yards, and that allows me to hold dead on out to 200 yards. I can't see good enough to be shooting past that distance anyway.

As stated in an earlier post, I said I had bought a FoxPro "Spitfire". Elsewhere, there was instructions on how to convert the Weasel Ball into sort of a JIB. My question is this: does anyone know of this Weasel Ball modification that has been modified to be plugged into the Foxpro "AUX" output jack? It may not be possible. I'm not sure if it can be done, but if it can, Please direct me to the instructions. Thanks

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon. TN Sen Fred Thompson

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not familiar with that model FoxPro. Register on their forums and ask those guys about it.

As for the .223 being enough of a rifle to use in Mid TN, I have hunted with several folks in Texas and Arizona that use .223s and they have no problems. If it's enough gun out there, then we shouldn't be worried about it in the close quarters that we hunt around here. I zero my .223s to shoot 1.5" high at 100 yards, and that allows me to hold dead on out to 200 yards. I can't see good enough to be shooting past that distance anyway.

Thanks for the advice. Now, if I can just find that .223! I have a .243, but think I'd rather hunt coyotes with a .223...ammo's cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. Now, if I can just find that .223! I have a .243, but think I'd rather hunt coyotes with a .223...ammo's cheaper.

Good quality ammo such as Hornady 40 grain V Max is right there on price range as the 243 ammo. On the other hand for plinking and practicing the 223 will be cheaper in the long run. I sight my AR in dead on at 100 yards as most of my shots come under 100 yards. This way I don't have to compensate but very little for those dogs that get in real close. It is all personal preference though as with the gun, ammo and setup i.e calls, etc. It never hurts to have a good 223 though. Hidalgo has a good point about it being enough of a rifle to use in TN. I have killed deer and coyotes with my 223's so I have no problems trusting the round.

Edited by Hunting101
Good quality ammo such as Hornady 40 grain V Max is right there on price range as the 243 ammo. On the other hand for plinking and practicing the 223 will be cheaper in the long run. I sight my AR in dead on at 100 yards as most of my shots come under 100 yards. This way I don't have to compensate but very little for those dogs that get in real close. It is all personal preference though as with the gun, ammo and setup i.e calls, etc. It never hurts to have a good 223 though. Hidalgo has a good point about it being enough of a rifle to use in TN. I have killed deer and coyotes with my 223's so I have no problems trusting the round.

I guess it's that "I want another toy" thing. I actually have two .243 bolts, and probably will replace one of them with the .223. I'd like to do some of that "cheap" plinking with the .223 that you mentioned. I'd like to find a .223 mate for my Savage .243. I bought a FoxPro call, so I'm all set there. Just need a place to hunt in the Murfreesboro area. I've never been coyote hunting before, so it'll be a learning experience for me. I'm looking forward to it. thanks for your input...good advice.

I guess it's that "I want another toy" thing. I actually have two .243 bolts, and probably will replace one of them with the .223. I'd like to do some of that "cheap" plinking with the .223 that you mentioned. I'd like to find a .223 mate for my Savage .243. I bought a FoxPro call, so I'm all set there. Just need a place to hunt in the Murfreesboro area. I've never been coyote hunting before, so it'll be a learning experience for me. I'm looking forward to it. thanks for your input...good advice.

I need to find a place to hunt in Rutherford County. I need to check out some of the public land.

If tanned properly, coyote pelts are really pretty made into a throw or wall hanging. Tan it for a flat trophy or have it mounted. You would be surprised how nice they look. Also, as for what to do with it after you shoot it. I know two fellows right now who are experienced coyote hunters who would love to teach someone to hunt them. You'll just have to have a place to take them as they are barred from my land for leaving dead yotes to lay around and rot. My opinion is, "take them with you or don't shoot them"!

If tanned properly, coyote pelts are really pretty made into a throw or wall hanging. Tan it for a flat trophy or have it mounted. You would be surprised how nice they look. Also, as for what to do with it after you shoot it. I know two fellows right now who are experienced coyote hunters who would love to teach someone to hunt them. You'll just have to have a place to take them as they are barred from my land for leaving dead yotes to lay around and rot. My opinion is, "take them with you or don't shoot them"!

Did they skin them out and just leave the carcasses lying around, or did they just shoot them and left them where they fell?

I don't think you will have to worry to much about the smell, if it is anything like here. I shot a couple last year while cutting hay and bush hogging. The next day there isn't enough left to smell as the other yotes clean them up. In one case when I raturned in less than 24 hrs. there was nothing left but a few bones and very little hair, the other was an older female and it took about 3 days and it was in about the same shape.

I need to find a place to hunt in Rutherford County. I need to check out some of the public land.

You might want to check out Percy Priest WMA, but I don't know if you can use a centerfire, or a rifle. About a hour or so south you could use Bear Hollow WMA