coyote hunting

You might want to check out Percy Priest WMA, but I don't know if you can use a centerfire, or a rifle. About a hour or so south you could use Bear Hollow WMA

Thanks I have been checking into a few places around here. I might try and ask my co-workers if they have any land I can hunt.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left 3 of them in a little pile on the edge of the field/logging road. Something I really don't want to smell when the weather gets warm and they rot. I guess that's what I get...

Sure hope it doesn't turn you sour toward letting someone else hunt on your property. They should have asked you if it was ok to do that. I was just wondering if they were using them for bait for other coyotes? Like another poster said, I doubt they lasted long, if you have a lot of coyotes on your land. At any rate, a considerate hunter should have kept you informed on what they were doing anyway. Sorry you had the bad experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered the FoxPro "Skyote" online. The blasted shipping was almost as much as the mouth call! The call was $19.95, and when the smoke cleared, my total bill was $35.51! Anyone familiar with this call? I figure with the learning curve, I should be able to drive everyone within miles nuts, by the time I get the hang of it.

To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth! Theodore Roosevelt

P.S. Got in touch with Foxpro, and was told they would correct my shipping fees. The new fees would be $6 instead of $15.56. Much better.

Edited by Sidewinder
Big fingers on the little keys...I just can't spell!

I got this new "Skyote" hand call from FoxPro yesterday, and man... I've got a lot of learning to do on that bad boy... just so I don't scare the coyotes away! Anybody got any "quick learning" tricks or advice on the Skyote? There weren't but a couple of very brief instructions on the back of the blister pack card. Any instructions on where to find the best instructions are greatly appreciated.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

I got this new "Skyote" hand call from FoxPro yesterday, and man... I've got a lot of learning to do on that bad boy... just so I don't scare the coyotes away! Anybody got any "quick learning" tricks or advice on the Skyote? There weren't but a couple of very brief instructions on the back of the blister pack card. Any instructions on where to find the best instructions are greatly appreciated.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

I would try and download some sounds that the Skyote makes and practice against those sounds. Here is a link that has free downloads.

Varmint Al's Hunting Page

http://Yotes030.jpg

A picture of Dave (WD) with a couple of yotes and our setup. Hope ya'll enjoy the picture. I'm in the proccess of tanning the hides. I got a friend at work involved in coyote hunting, and while using a distress call this morning, the farmer's mule got after him! I never laughed so hard in my life!

Edited by wd-40

Rural King has the Johnny Stewart PM-3 and the PM-4 on sale. I had to make the move on one. Blowing a hand held call was getting rough! The "decoy" was made using a "weasel Ball" (Hammock Decoy) purchased from Cracker barrel. I'm going to try to get back out this weekend for some "fun" hunting, but the word got out, and now a few cattle owners wants the "cy'otes" gone. Fine with me. I used the weasel ball and niether one saw me. They were transfixed on that thing, like they wanted to play with it. Felt kinda bad really...well not!

I have that same decoy. I am picking up the new Foxpro Spitfire call. I am also going to buy the new Nikon Coyote Special with the BDC reticle. A buddy of mine has that same scope on his 22-250 and man that thing is awesome. A friend of mine that I work with his neighbor has had some problems with coyotes killing calfs so hopefully we can get out there in the next week or two provided I get all my crap together, I am trying to update all my equipment.

Guest GunTroll

I just scored 140 acres to hunt on across from my house. I haven't scouted the place yet but it looks promising from my yard. Cows on the adjacent neighbors property is a plus too! I hear plenty of yotes all the time. I'm going out tomorrow to give it a go. I've not yet hunted yotes in TN yet but it can't be all too different than out west. Different scenery is all that I can come up with. Slight differences in tactics perhaps but same target. For what I can tell these dogs round here don't get hunted hard or often so I'm expecting low pressured dogs to show interest. I'll update.

I just scored 140 acres to hunt on across from my house. I haven't scouted the place yet but it looks promising from my yard. Cows on the adjacent neighbors property is a plus too! I hear plenty of yotes all the time. I'm going out tomorrow to give it a go. I've not yet hunted yotes in TN yet but it can't be all too different than out west. Different scenery is all that I can come up with. Slight differences in tactics perhaps but same target. For what I can tell these dogs round here don't get hunted hard or often so I'm expecting low pressured dogs to show interest. I'll update.

Congrats on the place to hunt! I'm still searching for a good spot close to where I live. I'll watch for the yote pics tomorrow!

http://Yotes030.jpg

A picture of Dave (WD) with a couple of yotes and our setup. Hope ya'll enjoy the picture. I'm in the proccess of tanning the hides. I got a friend at work involved in coyote hunting, and while using a distress call this morning, the farmer's mule got after him! I never laughed so hard in my life!

Congrats WD-40, that's a couple of good looking yotes. Those pelts look like they're good for coming from Tennessee. So far, I'm one of those guys "that just talks about hunting yotes", but hope to get my stuff collected, and give it a try soon.

Thank you. They did have good winter fur. I'm tanning them right now. I want to display them in my "guy room" with my flintlock rifles and antique traps. It sure is fun hunting them! I'm wanted to go yote hunting tomorrow, but my beagles are not happy campers, so, its off the fields for rabbits!

Guest GunTroll
Congrats on the place to hunt! I'm still searching for a good spot close to where I live. I'll watch for the yote pics tomorrow!

Not today. I did get to scout it though. I carried a gun but didn't expect to bust one without knowing the lay of the land and all. I saw some promising setups and got a feel for the property boundaries (which is hard in some spots due to no post/fencing). I just hate to think I'm trespassing on someone else's land. The next outing should be promising!