coyote hunting

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try this. If not maybe he could set up somewhere for a while then have someone else walk the dogs then he would have a jump on them when they came out.

You may just have something there 101. Get all set up ahead of time, let things settle down for a while, and then let him bring the dogs out. But, I'd have to use careful planning for the shooting lane. Don't want to get in the direction of him or the dogs. Would take some planning and careful set up, but should be doable. Thanks.

Anyone having any luck with calling the "yotes" out and bagging them? I tried hunting from a blind this afternoon, to keep from getting carried off by the mosquitoes! I'm using a FoxPro and a MoJo Critter, but did not see one coyote. Today, I set up inside the edge of the woods. With all the rain, the vegetation is real thick, so it's hard to get a shooting lane of any decent length. Anyone ever used a mosquito repellent, like "ThermaCell" on a coyote stand? I used it and Cutter, as the mosquitoes were swarming! Any special products that will keep the mosquitoes off, and won't spook the yotes? Whew! I'm still scratching!

What sound are you using? Coyotes are still on den should start seeing pups in the next couple of weeks. Try using a pup in distress or low volume rabbit sound. Coyote barks and howls also work good this time of year. I am going to key on water holes during the summer and try and set up between the water hole and den.

What sound are you using? Coyotes are still on den should start seeing pups in the next couple of weeks. Try using a pup in distress or low volume rabbit sound. Coyote barks and howls also work good this time of year. I am going to key on water holes during the summer and try and set up between the water hole and den.

Hunting 101, I used some of those sounds, along with a "Screaming Gray Fox" which got the crows all in a tissy! Are they out and about during the day now, or are they laid up in the den? I've seen their den, but am not sure which way water is from there. Also, even though it's a strip of woods, there's housed all around there. I heard all kinds of dogs barking, so they're probably feasting on them and the abundance of rabbits in the area. Also, I have to be very careful of what direction I can shoot in. So, it's touchy, but it's still coyote hunting!

Guest BEARMAN

Get you a Thermacell, and your mosquitoes and nat woes will be a thing of the past.

Best mosquito repellent ever invented! Bar none.

Use any unscented tick & chigger repellent for clothing...won't stop 'em all, but will get the majority of the little buggers. :P

Hunting 101, I used some of those sounds, along with a "Screaming Gray Fox" which got the crows all in a tissy! Are they out and about during the day now, or are they laid up in the den? I've seen their den, but am not sure which way water is from there. Also, even though it's a strip of woods, there's housed all around there. I heard all kinds of dogs barking, so they're probably feasting on them and the abundance of rabbits in the area. Also, I have to be very careful of what direction I can shoot in. So, it's touchy, but it's still coyote hunting!

I have had better luck at dawn and dusk. When it is hot out they will stay in cool areas.

Get you a Thermacell, and your mosquitoes and nat woes will be a thing of the past.

Use any unscented tick & chigger repellent for clothing...won't stop 'em all, but will get the majority of the little buggers. :up:

+1

Use any unscented tick & chigger repellent for clothing...won't stop 'em all, but will get the majority of the little buggers. :grouchy:

You're exactly right on the ThermaCell, Bearman. Once I got my blind "Magnum Hunter" up, I got inside and fired up the ThermaCell... no more mosquitoes. But, they liked to have eaten me up before I could get that done! I was just wondering if the yotes could smell the ThermaCell... cause I called in an area where I know there are coyotes, and didn't see a one.

Any good brand names you have used that did a good job of repelling the ticks and chiggers? I've heard kerosene works around the socks, but it has quite a scent that would probably spook the yotes.

Try looking on google earth for the water source.

Excellent idea! Thanks 101.

No problem. I went Tuesday morning but didn't see anything. As we were crossing into the second field to return you could smell wet dog. I figured a coyote was chasing turkeys that we had seen in that field. The grass is about waist high so it is hard to see anything but a good spot though. Tuesday evening well lets just say I sweated about 60 pounds off.

101, it makes us Middle Tennessee hunters envious of the hunters out west that just backs up to a tree, in the shade, and picks them off as they're called out. The place I go is so grown up with greenery, from all of this rain, that I can't see more than 30 to 40 yards through the woods. How do you do a stand setup... just full camo, or do you use any sort of blinds? What do you use for mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers, that the yotes can't smell?

Guest BEARMAN
You're exactly right on the ThermaCell, Bearman. Once I got my blind "Magnum Hunter" up, I got inside and fired up the ThermaCell... no more mosquitoes. But, they liked to have eaten me up before I could get that done! I was just wondering if the yotes could smell the ThermaCell... cause I called in an area where I know there are coyotes, and didn't see a one.

Any good brand names you have used that did a good job of repelling the ticks and chiggers? I've heard kerosene works around the socks, but it has quite a scent that would probably spook the yotes.

I used the ThermaCell for bear and deer hunting and haven't noticed any scent recognition from the game, so far.

As for the tick and chigger spray...I use unscented deep woods off, however, I'm sure there are other repellents just as good...maybe better.

I used the ThermaCell for bear and deer hunting and haven't noticed any scent recognition from the game, so far.

As for the tick and chigger spray...I use unscented deep woods off, however, I'm sure there are other repellents just as good...maybe better.

+1

I had deer walking right under my stand and downwind of me last fall with my Thermacell on. They didn't seem to smell it at all.

I also use unscented deep woods Off and tuck my pant legs into tall rubber boots. I try to "seal off" as much of my skin as possible from the ticks & chiggers.... those things are miserable.

101, it makes us Middle Tennessee hunters envious of the hunters out west that just backs up to a tree, in the shade, and picks them off as they're called out. The place I go is so grown up with greenery, from all of this rain, that I can't see more than 30 to 40 yards through the woods. How do you do a stand setup... just full camo, or do you use any sort of blinds? What do you use for mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers, that the yotes can't smell?

I use full camo and yes it is hot, even in the mornings. I use a none scented repellant. If I am hunting in the woods I try to get on the high ground with my back against the sun and if the wind works with me. I don't use a blind but I do have camo netting that I can tie around trees to make a make shift blind if I need to.

Guest Bluemax

If your lookong for yotes, head on over to W Knoxville. Saw one trot across the railroad tracks on third creek, almost jumped out with my P3AT and started poppin caps!!

As far as the heat, I picked up a bandanna at Walmart last year. It has some gel-type material in the center of it that stays cool all day if it is soaked in water. I keep that around my neck and a Thermacell nearby. Those two things have increased my comfort level a great deal when hunting hot weather.

...............almost jumped out with my P3AT and started poppin caps!!

I drove past one standing in a field about 50 yards out a few weeks ago. It was just standing watching us. I was going to jump out with my PPS 9mm, but my wife told me to keep driving. lol.

Anyone having any luck at all? My parents own 27 acres in Georgetown, TN (just north of Harrison Bay / Wolftever) that backs up and corners up to another farm. The guy who owns the other farm had seen coyotes for several weeks in a row, then one day, Turkeys started disappearing. They asked if I would come set up and pop a few of 'em. I was more than happy to scout it out, even found a semi-cave that I suspect they are using for a den when scouting it out with binoculars (nice little path worn in the tall grass running into it). But, with all this rainy weather, I can't even get a sight of 'em when I'm able to get up there.

Guest 270win

I'm thinking about going coyote hunting on public land after squirrel season ends in mid June. The problem with the WMA land is I can only use a rimfire gun or a shotgun loaded with number 4 birdshot......I really don't want to use a 22 rifle on a coyote....and don't think number 4 would be great unless the coyote is up close....would the really good turkey loads 3 inch magnum work Remington HD..Hevishot with a full choke out of a 12 gauge? I don't like coyotes but I don't want cripples either running off.