Joined the Church of Browning today...

Guest Verbal Kint

I personnaly have nothing against Kimbers, My first 1911 was a stainless steel Ultra carry, that was a great gun, with the external extractor, I fired about 2500 rounds through her, without any problems,(I must have been one of the lucky ones) Now, I paid $960.00 out the door for that pistol and Loved it,

a couple of years down the road, and all I met up with some guys who had some Ed Brown pistols at the range, one of them let me shoot his, after shooting an Ed Brown Kobra Carry I decided to move up the ladder.

Kimber has 2 things that are great their frames and slides, alot of custom gunsmiths will build on their frames and slides because they are built so well.

However Kimber maintains a low price because they use Metal Injection Molding (MIM) on their hardware and Plastic mainspring housings For what you pay for them Kimber makes a very good gun, dont let anyone tell you any different, Just a little advice though once you start on 1911's they are very addictive, and alot of people would be better saving some extra money and going to a Les Baer or another high end gun, Like I said I paid $960.00 out the door for that Ultra Carry, I could have bought a Les Baer Thunder Ranch that same day for $1450.00 out the door, Is the THunder Ranch worth $500.00 more than my Kimber was? you bet. If I had a dollar for everyone I know that started with a Kimber and moved up the ladder due to reliability issues, I would be very wealthy!

Regards,

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Verbal-Congrats on your gun's reliability. Like I said, a good running 1911 is a sweet shooter. I just don't see them (reliable 1911s) as often as other makes. BTW, my wife begged me not to get rid of mine--she liked it much more a Glock. No shock that your wife didn't like it; most people either love or hate Glocks, and they usually form their opinions quickly. She just liked shooting it better (one hole groups at 7 yards tend to make the range a bit more enjoyable). She didn't give a rodent's rump if it jammed; me on the other had, well, I don't need it if I can't carry it.

Thanks. As I said earlier, I'm very happy with the way it performed on it's first outting. I have plenty more rounds to put through it, during it's break-in period... and tons more to shoot after that... but I don't foresee any problems with it, based on today's experience. Hopefully things run just as smooth, or better, after she has been broken in. :rock:

Yeah, I can definitely see where you are coming from... if I had nothing but problems with one of my firearms (regardless of brand), I'd be very hesitant to pick up another of the same brand and model. Can't fault you there. Likewise, I definitely wouldn't trust my life, or that of my loved ones, to that gun either. It's a shame that you didn't get a hold of a better performing 1911... but hopefully you can come into contact with one somewhere down the road. As you said, a smooth-running 1911 is a fun gun to shoot and carry.

Yeah, my wife had never held or used a glock before today. The only thing I told her about the gun, before I handed it over to her, was the basic functions of the gun. Everything else I let her decide and experience on her own. But, as you said, she immediately developed a dislike for it. She hated the ergonomics of it and didn't do near as well hitting the target as she did with my Kimber, even with the lighter round. I was actually surprised by her opinion of the 9mm Glock and how quickly she wanted to go back to the 1911. I'd still be happy to let her try some other 9mm flavors, but she was very proficient with the Kimber today especially having no prior experience. She was amped up after leaving the range today, and said she had a blast (no pun intended) shooting my gun. Shortly after I got home she was already looking at 1911's online and planning how to spend my money. :rolleyes:

Guest Verbal Kint

Kimber has 2 things that are great their frames and slides, alot of custom gunsmiths will build on their frames and slides because they are built so well.

However Kimber maintains a low price because they use Metal Injection Molding (MIM) on their hardware and Plastic mainspring housings For what you pay for them Kimber makes a very good gun, dont let anyone tell you any different, Just a little advice though once you start on 1911's they are very addictive, and alot of people would be better saving some extra money and going to a Les Baer or another high end gun, Like I said I paid $960.00 out the door for that Ultra Carry, I could have bought a Les Baer Thunder Ranch that same day for $1450.00 out the door, Is the THunder Ranch worth $500.00 more than my Kimber was? you bet. If I had a dollar for everyone I know that started with a Kimber and moved up the ladder due to reliability issues, I would be very wealthy!

Regards,

Oh, I agree whole heartedly... on both accounts... 1911's are very addictive and Kimber would definitely make a better handgun without the MIM parts and plastic junk on their guns. The first thing I actually did was swap out the plastic MSH for a Kimber stainless MSH and magwell extension. I also ordered a Wilson Combat bullet proof extractor (on hand for when/if I run into a problem) and plan on ordering replacement parts for all of the MIM hardware on the gun.

As I mentioned in previous threads, I would absolutely love to have a Nighthawk T3. But for my needs... and for the price... I would much rather have this Kimber for carry protection. Fact is, if I'm ever forced into a position to defend myself with it... I'd rather be out $1k than $3k when the police take the gun away. Does that mean I won't buy a T3 or other high-end 1911 down the road? Nope. It just won't be a "duty" gun, but rather a safe queen when not at the range.

You can easily make any Kimber (or any other cheaper brand), with very little work and money, into a handgun just as reliable as those multi-thousand dollar 1911's... or at least increase your confidence in it enough to be reliable. Personally, if my Kimber keeps performing as it did today (and I'll be the first to agree it's way too early to determine that), I would not have any reservations about using it as a defense pistol -- which is the sole reason I purchased it. But, I do agree with you... for the price tag Kimber sticks on them, they should definitely include better quality parts than the MIM and plastic piece currently on them.

Oh, I agree whole heartedly... on both accounts... 1911's are very addictive and Kimber would definitely make a better handgun without the MIM parts and plastic junk on their guns. The first thing I actually did was swap out the plastic MSH for a Kimber stainless MSH and magwell extension. I also ordered a Wilson Combat bullet proof extractor (on hand for when/if I run into a problem) and plan on ordering replacement parts for all of the MIM hardware on the gun.

As I mentioned in previous threads, I would absolutely love to have a Nighthawk T3. But for my needs... and for the price... I would much rather have this Kimber for carry protection. Fact is, if I'm ever forced into a position to defend myself with it... I'd rather be out $1k than $3k when the police take the gun away. Does that mean I won't buy a T3 or other high-end 1911 down the road? Nope. It just won't be a "duty" gun, but rather a safe queen when not at the range.

You can easily make any Kimber (or any other cheaper brand), with very little work and money, into a handgun just as reliable as those multi-thousand dollar 1911's... or at least increase your confidence in it enough to be reliable. Personally, if my Kimber keeps performing as it did today (and I'll be the first to agree it's way too early to determine that), I would not have any reservations about using it as a defense pistol -- which is the sole reason I purchased it. But, I do agree with you... for the price tag Kimber sticks on them, they should definitely include better quality parts than the MIM and plastic piece currently on them.

It sounds like you are prepared, If you replace the MIM parts that is what I would do, I didnt realize that Kimber made steel mainspring houses, that is good news, and if your Kimber works fine for you, that is all that matters, none of my guns are safe queens though, and if ever I have to use one of them I am absolutely certain that they will go bang when I pull the trigger, as far as it being taken away, in the event that I HAVE to use it, that moment, I guarantee defending my family will be worth more to me than the cost of ANY 1911 ever made,

It sounds like you have a Good Kimber, the Pro CDP is my favorite model that they make, enjoy it!:rolleyes:

Putting a Kimber CDP next to a Glock and asking a woman which she prefers is almost not a fair fight--"hey honey, you want the blinged-out two-tone Kimber with the Spanish walnut grips, or do you want the primer black box-gun with the service rifle trigger?" :rolleyes:

BTW, I had a 5" Colt 1911 that sucked too, but that is another story. :rock:

Guest Verbal Kint

It sounds like you have a Good Kimber, the Pro CDP is my favorite model that they make, enjoy it!:rock:

Thanks, again. :)

Yeah, they make a SS MSH. Why they don't include it, in the first place, is a whole different can of worms. Sigh.

I agree... the protection of myself and family is invaluable, and well worth losing possession of my gun. But having the police confiscate my $3k 1911 would definitely piss me off a little bit. Easier to swallow this way. :rolleyes:;)

Guest Verbal Kint
Putting a Kimber CDP next to a Glock and asking a woman which she prefers is almost not a fair fight--"hey honey, you want the blinged-out two-tone Kimber with the Spanish walnut grips, or do you want the primer black box-gun with the service rifle trigger?" :rock:

:)

True... the Kimber definitely had an unfair advantage over the "tupperware", in the looks department. Luckily, she's a practical person and just judged it on recoil, form, fit, and function. I don't think she cared what either looked like, honestly, as she keeps asking if <insert any gun here> comes in pink. :rolleyes:

I think I may compromise and get her a stainless or hard chromed 1911 and draw the line at pink grips. I'm against her bastardizing any gun with a pink coating.

Fast forward a couple months from now, when I post pictures of a pink coated 1911. Sigh.

[i agree... the protection of myself and family is invaluable, and well worth losing possession of my gun. But having the police confiscate my $3k 1911 would definitely piss me off a little bit. Easier to swallow this way. :rolleyes::)

I guess that is how I get my wife to approve my purchases, i explain to her that If I ever have to use it, it gets taken away, so I need a backup!!!:rock:

So far that works,

i

Guest Verbal Kint
So how does one post pics on this forum?

Easiest way, especially if you don't have a web host somewhere else to link from, is to upload them in the gallery... then copy the url link under the photo. Create your post in the thread, use the "Insert Image" button above your message composition window, and paste the copied link into the field.

I heard that somewhere? I would buy a Smith and Wesson 1911 if they would make one with an internal extractor, I HATE external ones :rolleyes:

External, internal…. If they work it’s not an issue. :rock: Both my Kimber Custom TLE II and my S&W 1911 worked flawlessly.

External, internal…. If they work it’s not an issue. :rolleyes: Both my Kimber Custom TLE II and my S&W 1911 worked flawlessly.

I know, I just hate the looks of them, purely cosmetic, I like the traditional 1911 look for the most part, my external on my Kimber never failed me!:rock:

Guest Verbal Kint

First gripe and complaint about my Kimber...

The ass hats that they have working in their Quality Control department need to be sent to Somalia, where they can be drug through the streets and have the **** kicked out of them.

That said, I noticed during the tail end of my 180-round shooting session, last week, that my trigger finger had been rubbed raw. I didn't think much of it until I got home and started cleaning my gun, and happened to get some Hoppes #9 in the wound... which pissed me off enough to start investigating why the hell I received the sore finger in the first place.

Besides the really freaky coincidence that the wound and the cut-out on the triggers surface where both the exact same circle shape and diameter, closer inspection of the trigger revealed that their milling or casting process left some pretty damn sharp edges on the surface... just perfect enough to saw away on your finger's padding while enjoying a day at the shooting range. :rant:

Looks like I might be ordering a Wilson Combat trigger, along with some of their other internal parts, pretty soon. Going to try and smooth this one out, with a stone first (like this one that I ordered), and see if I can't bevel it enough to knock off those sharp edges. Might resort to a dremel and conical stone, after I get it started by hand, if nothing else. Just pisses me off that they couldn't prevent this from happening in the first place, by catching their own mistakes. Good job, Kimber! :D

Photos of finger and trigger (although the trigger pics aren't the greatest example of photography skills):

kimbertrigger-01.JPG

kimbertrigger-02.JPG

kimbertrigger-03.JPG

kimbertrigger-04.JPG

kimbertrigger-05.JPG

Guest Verbal Kint
At least you know where you keep your finger while shooting:D

Have you called CS at Kimber?

Not yet... will do so this Monday during business hours.

Was going to send their CS dept a nice email, attaching those pictures, with the subject line "Thanks ****ers" but they don't publicly list their email addresses. :D

That’s not a cut on your finger; that’s a blister. It’s caused by having girlymen hands and trying to shoot 180 rounds on your first 1911 session. It’ll toughen up after a while.

I would pay to hear the conversation at Kimber after you email those pictures.

Sorry I just couldn't hold back anymore. :D

Guest Verbal Kint
ahahahahahahah...

that was just plain wrong.

I have a question...how did you shoot during that range session..pretty well?

you have a boo boo on your finger...imagine how that target would feel... :D

I agree though, that trigger does look a bit rough.

Range session went really well, honestly. Everything was within the 9-ring and well grouped even out to 15 yards. I couldn't be happier with how the gun performed, and allowed me to shoot after having not touched a handgun in several years. Just puts a damper on things when you can't continue shooting for the day due to pain. I was planning on hitting the range again this weekend, but when I was looking at the gun earlier the damn trigger cut my finger open again.

The trigger is pretty rough when you run your finger down the front surface or even touch it wrong, and apparently it just sawed away on my index finger with every round I squeezed off. When I looked at my finger I instantly thought blister, as well, until I looked closer and realized the trigger had dug a nice sized divot into my flesh.

Debating whether to try and get Kimber to comp me a new trigger since their QC department obviously screwed the pooch on this one... just fixing the one I have... or say screw it and order one of Wilson Combat's Ultralight Match triggers.