Calling all Hikers

Anyone planning to carry in the Smokies after the new law goes into effect in Feb? My wife and I like to hike and I'm waiting to receive my HCP so I've given it some thought to carrying while hiking. I've spent countless hours mountain biking (not in the smokies b/c it's prohibited), hiking, and running in the woods but I've never felt so vunerable as I have when I carry our 17-month-old son in a backpack. I can even run away quickly if faced with a threat. By the way, the backpack would prevent me from carrying on the waist, so I may have to try to pocket carry in a cargo pocket. I don't want to open carry on the thigh b/c that might make the hippies nervous.

Your thoughts???

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'll be carrying. I generally carry for two legged critters. It will be in my vest or coat pocket, depending on temperature. I don't like to carry anything in my pants/cargo pockets when I'm hiking.

Just have to remember it is concealed carry, no just carry like in TN.

Huh? Try rewriting that because it makes no sense.

I don't want to open carry on the thigh b/c that might make the hippies nervous.

Heck no. Open carry it is. The liberal hippies (I guess that's kinda redundant...) have shoved all their crazy laws down my throat that make me uncomfortable and poorer, so I am going to shove one down there throat. However, I will be super polite to everyone I meet to show that people who carry guns are not just rednecks (plus, I look pretty far from a redneck and have no accent.)

Matthew

Huh? Try rewriting that because it makes no sense.

Heck no. Open carry it is. The liberal hippies (I guess that's kinda redundant...) have shoved all their crazy laws down my throat that make me uncomfortable and poorer, so I am going to shove one down there throat. However, I will be super polite to everyone I meet to show that people who carry guns are not just rednecks (plus, I look pretty far from a redneck and have no accent.)

Matthew

The new law states you have to carry concealed. You cannot open carry.

Ignorance of the law might make you look like a redneck in other people's eyes. What's a redneck accent? I've heard there are lots of rednecks in Minnesota, is that the accent you are thinking about?

The new law states you have to carry concealed. You cannot open carry.

Can you find the text for that? Everything I read said carry would only be subject to the state's laws and that you wouldn't be able to carry into buildings (which I guess would include restrooms?) Therefore, since it was subject to state laws, open carry in TN would be legal. But I want to see the text.

Ignorance of the law might make you look like a redneck in other people's eyes. What's a redneck accent? I've heard there are lots of rednecks in Minnesota, is that the accent you are thinking about?

Let me rephrase that...hick, southern redneck accent.

Matthew

Okay, I just found the text that was passed and it says NOTHING about concealed weapons. The original order that Bush pushed through before he left office talked about state's CCW permits, which is more of a general term instead of what some states (such as TN) have, which is a HANDGUN carry permit, not a CCW. So under Bush's order, it was kinda vague considering how permits were referred to. As you will see under the new law, you will be able to open/conceal carry & have a rife in your car with ammo in the gun, but not chambered. As far as going into buildings that are WITHIN a NP or NWRF, that's another question. I don't know if "(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and" means "felons" and other people restricted by federal law, or if it means the other federal law which bans entering federal buildings/property with a firearm. Hopefully, it means the first because it's a little absurd to have to leave your firearm in your car to go into a restroom to pee (especially if you are camping!)

SEC. 512. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.

(a) Congressional Findings- Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution provides that ‘the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed’.

(2) Section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that ‘except as otherwise provided in this section and parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net’.

(3) Section 27.42 of title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that, except in special circumstances, citizens of the United States may not ‘possess, use, or transport firearms on national wildlife refuges’ of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(4) The regulations described in paragraphs (2) and (3) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of--

(A) the National Park System; and

(:screwy: the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(5) The existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System entrapped law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(6) Although the Bush administration issued new regulations relating to the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in units of the National Park System and National Wildlife Refuge System that went into effect on January 9, 2009--

(A) on March 19, 2009, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia granted a preliminary injunction with respect to the implementation and enforcement of the new regulations; and

(:rofl: the new regulations--

(i) are under review by the administration; and

(ii) may be altered.

(7) Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(8) The Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System should not be infringed.

(:P Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

Carry in TN State Parks is already legal; so would be a great place to try different carry methods out.

I tried the cargo pocket method with a pocket pistol, and Suntzu is correct about that one...not the best method IMHO. Might be better with a smaller pistol like my Kel-tec P-32 and a larger weapon carried deeper, maybe in a accessible backpack compartment.

I have been looking for a 'camera" type bag to wear on the hip belt of my pack, capable of concealing a compact or full size weapon. I think it was Tactical Response at the Expo that had a large assortment of bags on display that one or more of would have fit that purpose, but I didn't get to shop too much.

Last trip for me was just a few miles in, and I carried my full size OWB with a jacket over, hip-belt of the backpack cinched over the rig. Actually pulled the gun in nicely, but didn't dig into me too badly, but would think this might be a bigger problem for higher mileage...and also to access you would have to release the latch on your hip-belt, but still readily accessible.

Guest bkelm18

Question: GSMNP lies in both TN and NC. NC does not allow open carry. So do you follow TN law in the TN portion of the park and likewise for the NC portion? Obviously there is no line that runs through the park that lets you know where in relation to the border you are, are there any guidelines regarding this? I'd hate to be the guy who gets busted for hiking unknowingly into NC with an openly carried firearm.

Question: GSMNP lies in both TN and NC. NC does not allow open carry. So do you follow TN law in the TN portion of the park and likewise for the NC portion? Obviously there is no line that runs through the park that lets you know where in relation to the border you are, are there any guidelines regarding this? I'd hate to be the guy who gets busted for hiking unknowingly into NC with an openly carried firearm.

Also NC is a must inform state. TN is not. Makes for some gray areas for sure.

I guess Thunderwear is out of the question. LOL

My problem with the weapon in my cargo pocket is that with each stride the weapon slaps my leg. Very annoying after the first mile or so.

I don't know where you read that NC doesn't allow OC. NC is actually a better OC carry state than TN as you can without a permit. Maybe you are thinking of SC which is a non OC state (along with AR, OK, TX, IL, NY & FL). HOWEVER, according to handgunlaw.us state parks & NP's are off-limits in NC. The question is, does NC state law encompass federal park land? This is what the code says:

"SECTION .0900 - FIREARMS: EXPLOSIVES: FIRES: ETC.

15A NCAC 12B .0901 FIREARMS: WEAPONS: EXPLOSIVES

(a) No person except authorized park employees, their agents, or contractors, or officers of the state shall carry or possess firearms, airguns, bows and arrows, sling shots, or lethal missiles of any kind within any park."

So would "within any park" apply to the NP? It seems to me that it very well might.

Matthew

My problem with the weapon in my cargo pocket is that with each stride the weapon slaps my leg. Very annoying after the first mile or so.

It will also wear you out a lot faster having gear in your pockets or slinging the weight of a pistol back and forth. Better off in a vest. I use a 5.11 vest that can pass as a fishing/photography vest with what I've added to it. The holster velcroed in place is a nice feature and it stays out of the way of the straps on my backpack.

that thing fools me everytime, cept you never seem to have a camera, dunno? :D

:P

I actually do carry a camera on the trail. Much easier to blend in with the photographers and hippies with my "photography" vest. I can't wait to be able to carry again in the mountains. Anybody seen Park Ranger around since this passed? :)

I guess from what macville posted you can just carry any way you please when the new law goes into effect.....

I believe the mix up is that the previous changes in Dept. of Interior rules that briefly allowed carry in Nat'l Parks before the injunction, was concealed carry only.

- OS

Yes, I'll be carrying. I generally carry for two legged critters. It will be in my vest or coat pocket, depending on temperature. I don't like to carry anything in my pants/cargo pockets when I'm hiking.

I'm not sure I'll like a cargo pocket carry either but IWB or OWB won't work with my pack so I'm exploring other methods.

I have the same problem.

Might try tucking it ...... oh, you're talking about a firearm.. Nevermind... :):D

Guest 22-rimfire

I'll be carrying. My question is does this law apply to National Forests (NF)? Remember in TN the National Forest is a WMA and no guns are allowed except during hunting season and something applicable to the intended quarry.

I have talked to NF rangers and I have been told not to worry about it as long as you're discreet about what you do. No plinking however. But I am still wondering about the actual law?