Range Bags?

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

I did a search and couldn't find any relevant topic (even though they may exist)... and figured this is the best place to ask.

For those of you involved in the shooting sports, like IDPA, or just go to the range a lot and shoot... what range bag do you use? Opinions of it, or others?

Looking, specifically, for one to house my 1911 and maybe a 2nd handgun... ammo... hearing & eye protection... couple tools... etc. Viewed a few online, here and there, and really like the 5.11 Tactical series... but not too fond of the $120 price tag that goes with it. May break down and pay it, since I really like the features and construction, but am wanting to hear opinions and reviews on what you guys own and use.

Thanks. :lol:

EDIT: Mods might want to move this to the Accessories forum, as I didn't even think about sticking it there.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest utarch00

I use the free one that came with my M&P. It is bigger than my previous one. I store two pistols in a cheap gun rug that holds the two pistols and 4 magazines for each pistol. I bought the rug from Amazon. At some point I am going to get the bag from MidwayUSA. I have read great things about it. If I recall correctly, I heard it is the same thing as the 5.11 and it costs $60. Midway puts it on sale often and the cheapest I have seen it for is $30.

I have a Shooters Connection bag and a CED backpack. The SC bag is BIG and holds ALOT of stuff and is $139.00 Well worth the price if you carry extra /backup guns and parts. I now use the backpack since I shoot production and love it. The only down side is things tend to fall to the bottom of the pack. Other than that, packs are great. $75.00 If you are looking for something just to carry a gun, some ammo and a few mags in, check out the I-Shot bag.

DaG

Most range bags I looked at a few years ago seemed a little steep for me.

I looked in the fishing section of Sports Acadmey a few years ago and they had some

tackle bags on sale. I got this one for about 16 bucks.

bag2.jpg

Bag.jpg

It came with some plastic tackle box stuff as well. (Gave them away.) While looking at it the sales guy was trying to help me and asked what kind of fishing I did. I told him I didn't fish and he said "Ahhhh.. your a shooter huh?" Turns out he said sees a few guys coming in and buying these for range bags.

Works good for me. Shoulder strap and double sewn handles, the main compartment has the heavy duty zippers that you can put a small lock on (only good for keeping

kids out), the two sides can hold eight 50rd boxes in each side, plus about three pistols

in the middle compartment plus my other junk. (Strap comes in handy when fully

loaded.) It doesn't have the cool mag holders and stuff like that.... but suits me well.

Also it doesn't "look" like a range bag. That is something that I like too.

(I also use an old portable diaper changing mat that folds up small as a pistol rug. :lol: )

Guest Boomhower

Maybe I'm just being to hick (read:cheap) here, but I use a general utility bag that was given to me as a gift from a third party associate at my place of employment and ammo cans. The bag is fairly small in size, easy to store and holds everything I need for my range visits. Two guns in there plastic boxes, a third holster'd weapon if I choose to take it, 2 set's of ear protection (if I have an additional family member shooting with me), and my travel cleaning kit. While I love visiting my guns on a personal level, I've learned to limit myself so that I don't have to clean as many guns when I return from the range. I see no need for myself to buy an expensive range bag. Personally, I think it's a gimmick and an additional tax(read:expense) that is not needed as there are far to many alternatives such as the one creeky presented. But others flavor of :lol: may vary. I'll take my free or cheap range bag and spend the other money on ammo for real purpose of my visit to the range.

Guest bkelm18

I use a little travel bag I bought at Walgreens for $15. It's got two external zipper pockets on either end perfect for a handgun, a large main compartment for ammo and accessories, and a couple smaller pockets that'll fit a few magazines and my speed loaders. I'm happy with it.

I use the Allen bag i got at Walmart for $20. It has a gun rug in it and all I added was a i-SHOT mag carrier from Pistolgear.com for $12. I also use the plastic ammo boxes, because they fit better in the bag. The Allen bag has all the pockets and compartments that i need to keep everything separate and organized. IMO the "Pro" range bags are grossly overpriced. Sure you get neat logos and status (mall ninja!?), but I can sew a logo on if it's that important to me.

Guest Phantom6

I use the Uncle Mike's bag that my wife got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. In doing what I do I'm at the range 3-4 times a week and this one has been carrying up to 4 handguns in locking compartments plus ammo, magazines, speed loaders, ear protection, range rod, flashlight and other shooting accoutrements on each of those trips for the last two years. Makes a nice shooting rest for my rifles too. Still looks like new and never had a bit of trouble with it. Must say that it's the best I've ever had for the price.

deluxe_range_bag.jpg

Guest Verbal Kint

$120 is ridiculous. I'd pay at the most, $40 for a range bag.

I ended up going with the Midway USA range bag, since it was on sale for $40... and is identical to the $120 range bag that 5.11 sells. Should be here either today or tomorrow, and I'll be sure to take pics of it and post it here.

Guest sermon8r
I ended up going with the Midway USA range bag, since it was on sale for $40... and is identical to the $120 range bag that 5.11 sells. Should be here either today or tomorrow, and I'll be sure to take pics of it and post it here.

You will love it.

You might need to buy a bunch more stuff so you can fill it up!!!!

The prices on some of these rangs bags are absurd. It's a duffle bag with reinforcements and compartments sewn in, and a known brand name on it.

$120 is ridiculous. I'd pay at the most, $40 for a range bag.

I saw a relatively cheap bag at the USPSA Area 6 match one year with the "reinforcements and compartments sewn in" come apart while the guy was walking to another stage. At least $2000.00 + dollars worth of guns and gear dumped out on the ground. You get what you pay for......

DaG

Guest Boomhower
I saw a relatively cheap bag at the USPSA Area 6 match one year with the "reinforcements and compartments sewn in" come apart while the guy was walking to another stage. At least $2000.00 + dollars worth of guns and gear dumped out on the ground. You get what you pay for......

DaG

I'll agree with that, but for what I do, my cheap little bag does the trick. If I were shooting competitions frequently, or doing stuff like Phantom6 talked about, then I might consider a different alternative.

I have to cast my vote with the cheapskates here. If you save enough money on the foo-foo snobby name bags, you can buy more H&Ks. :stir:

Until I stumbled into my cheapy Allen bag (that seems to work just fine BTW) I just used several soft mechanics tool bags. Still do use them, as noted above.

If you compete actively, or take serveral pistols to the range... or even have some of those high dollar race guns I could see the "investment" in a more expensive bag. But even the more exspensive bags can be overloaded.

For me, my little cheapo bag does fine. Seldom do I take more than three or four pistols out at a time. If I did... I hate to say it... but I would probably buy another fishing bag to haul the others.

If you have the money, and want something nicer I say go for it. For me I just try to do what i can with what I have.

DaG

Well that sucks for him, but one guy's cheap bag coming apart isn't going to change my mind. I know a quality bag when I see it, and there are plenty to be had at reasonable prices below $50.

+1 on the Allen bag. Mine came with two folding gun carriers, holds the guns, alot of ammo boxes, two sets of ear protectors and I carry a cheapo three piece cleaning rod and some oil and cloth patches to complete the set. Zipper has held up well and no pulling of any stiching even when loaded to max and weighing close to 20 pounds.

I went and checked, mine is still here so Marswolf is off the hook. I thought he had borrowed mine in his picture.:)

Guest gcrookston

Okay, I'm really cheap in this department. For years I used an old .50 cal ammo can that was ww2 surplus - aluminum with some kind of bakelite lining -- I think it was for the USAAC, not sure. My son bought me a gunmate bag for christmas about 5 years ago. I use it every time he comes to town and often when I am shooting pistols only