Strange incident at the Range

Guest Risky Ruger

Guest Risky Ruger

So I went to the range today to let some lead fly. I had a vacation day so I thought I would spend a little time at the range.

I took my carry weapon, Ruger SR9 and 200 rounds of 9mm MagTech and Remignton.

I was about 50 or so rounds in when the gun fired, but the shell didn't eject. I thought it was rather odd, so with safety in mind and took my magazine out and got the empty shell out.

This happened a second time, before I left the range. The first time was the 10 round of a 17 round magazine and the second time was the last shot of the 17 round mag.

I have had this gun about 2 years now with no problems.

Whats your opinion, was it the ammunition?

I came home immediately and cleaned the gun as well as I could and also took the magazines apart and cleaned them. (Gun shop owner told me to clean the mags, I had never actually heard this before).

Your thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Risky Ruger

My pistol stays clean, I clean it every time I use it.

I have used Magtech several times before, Remington only one other time.

I plan to go back and try it again tomorrow with different ammo.

Sounds like the shell is coming out of the chamber, so that would rule out extractor problems. If the shell exits the barrel but doesn't eject then the slide is either not going back far enough to hit the ejector, or it is not going back hard/fast enough.

This could be caused by

-dirty gun

-not enough lube

-limp wrist

-weak ammo

-recoil spring too strong

-mag spring too strong

Sounds like you got cleaned and lubed covered and didn't mention changing springs so probably ammo problem.

Ammo problem. Just a step above a squib load, not enough power to cycle the slide.

Mag problems show as fail-to-feed. Cleaning mags occasionally is a good idea, too.

I avoid magtech like the plague, by the way.

Just curious. Why?

I shoot a bunch of it in my M-9 and S&W 44 Mag.

Did you look at the cartridges that didn't fire? I'd look for a firing pin hit on the primer to make sure it didn't get a light strike, then try to fire the rounds again... Sounds like a couple squibs or maybe hard primers but it's worth checking to make sure it's not light strikes...

Going off softly and not cycling the slide to eject is a classic squib for sure.

I once got a case of Wolf that 2-3 hard/dead primers and or squibs per 50... But since I looked and saw solid primer hits I knew it wasn't my gun.

Edit: read the first post too fast... I'd say most likely squibs, but I'd look over the extractor and be sure it's not chipped and working ok...

Edited by CK1
Read op post too fast...
Guest Risky Ruger

The case was still chambered and was never ejected. I cleaned, oiled and went back to the range again yesterday with Winchester ammo and I didn't have any problems. I think it was the Remington ammo.

I don't have a limp wrist problem that I know of.....HAHAHAHA. :-\

I'm just wondering why so many think the Remington ammo is out of spec? I think it is more likely to be an extractor issue. If they were reloads and had been reloaded a bunch, and the rims were chewed up I could see this. Or Remington ran a bunch that needed recalled then okay.

While it is true that every manufacture might have tiny differences, they all should meet spec and your gun should run them. In my experience, if your gun is not wanting to extract new reputable (in spec) ammo of one brand or another, and runs others fine, it is running on the edge of reliability. If this happens again, at the very least I would want to measure the cases to see if there is a problem. If they meet spec I would not allow my gun to turn up its nose at them.

Just something to think about. It could have been a one time strange anomaly.

Risky

I think people, me included, were confused by your use of terminology.

The process whereby the empty shell is pulled from the chamber is called 'extraction'. The rim of the cartridge is gripped by the 'extractor', a small hook that is held tight against the side of the rim, and it is pulled to the rear with the slide.

Ejection is when the empty case is pulled to the rear to the point where the leftmost side of the base of the shell hits the 'Ejector'. The ejector is fixed to the frame of the pistol and pops the empty case sharply to the right as the slide travels to the rear.

When I responded earlier I thought that the case left the chamber but caused a malfunction because it did not get out of the way for the slide to return forward.

The problem as I understand now could be related to ammo, dirty chamber, or extractor problems.

Edited by Idaho
Guest Risky Ruger

I have shot it again with no problems and I used different ammo. My guns stay clean but that doesn't mean they are prestine.

I think it was the Remington Ammo.

I two a SR9 fan. At first it sounds like ammo, but did the shell try to eject (stovepipe) if so it may have been the result of a limp wrist shot. At some time or another if you shoot enough it will happen. I have zero malfunctions with well over a 1000 rounds, but my wife can't empty a clip without a failure. Would not worry untill problem persist.