New S&W Model 18's? Any stores have one?

BryanP

I've been looking at the new "classic" series from S&W, and they've added one that's been on my want list for a while.

Product: Model 18 Masterpiece - S&W Classics - .22LR

Full retail list is $1011. B)

Bud's lists them for $773. Still eek, but not as bad.

Anyone know of a store in the Middle TN region that has one in stock so I could handle it? (Or someone with an older model 18 for sale?) I know a local b&m will be more than Bud's and less than full retail.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at that auction and others. That auction closes on Christmas Day, and I probably won't be able to watch it.

But yeah, I'm on the lookout for either a model 18 or 63. Buying one of the new "classic" 18s retail is not my first choice, but I was wanting to know if any stores in the area have one.

The older model 18 will keep it's value better & be a collector's item !!!

No doubt. And again, that would be my first choice. But I don't buy guns to collect them. I buy them because I want to shoot them (range toys) or to fill a specific role (ccw, hd).

Right now I'm watching an auction for a nice model 63.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Odd this thread started when it did. MY FIL just brought me a Model 18 a few days agao to see if I could fix it. (why he thought I could I have no idea) It will not fire nor open.

I called S&W and was told it was a 1986 made version, he had been thinking it was from the 50's. They also told me that the problem was most likely just the chamber release having been put together out of line.

FIL balked at shipping costs to S&W and is going to take it to a Smith in Humbolt next week. I did tell him what S&W was asking for a newly made one, which suprises even me with it only being a 22.

I found it a nice little pistol and his is in excellent condition as in looks like new, but it is not something I would want at present, but would be if I ever was able to buy just to collect.

A pic of FIL's FWIW.....

DSC00900.jpg

They also told me that the problem was most likely just the chamber release having been put together out of line.

Or the ejector rod has come loose and backed out. Either of those problems are pretty easy to fix yourself if no one has tried to force it and bent the ejector rod.

Guest Sgt. Joe
Or the ejector rod has come loose and backed out. Either of those problems are pretty easy to fix yourself if no one has tried to force it and bent the ejector rod.

That is also what dude at S&W said, but when I got it it would not close. I figured out the ejector rod was not even screwed together. I screwed it together tightly and it closed no problem so I do not think it is bent but I could still not pull trigger and when I tried to it seemed to want to move the ejector button?

Now if one holds the ejector button back... the trigger will pull and rotate the barrel? But it still wont open......From what I understand FIL and others have been messing with it for several years, it wont open then it wont close?... so there isnt really no telling what anyone of them has done do it.

I was just going to send it in for him but knowing how he is about $$ I figured I better tell him about overnight costs, and sure enough he bailed and said he would just take it to someone. It really should be a simple fix IMO.

I didnt even know what it was until TnRebel told me and then I looked at S&W and saw they were re-making them....personally I dont see the thrill other than to collect. But I do believe in "to each his own". I have not told him yet it is from the 80"s and not the 50"s. But I doubt he will care.

He wants it fixed for personal defense?....Nothing I have said to him has changed that thought. :poop:

it really urkes me that most on GB are hitting you with $30 shipping on a handgun. If it's a private party ok, maybe... if they send it next day.. but most dealers and FFL's use USPS priority at under $15

I stay away from over priced shippers!

Guest Sgt. Joe
Why would he use a gun that has issues for self-defence ?? I would only use a 22LR if that was the only gun I owned !!

FIL himself has "issues" he also has a 38 special but admits he hasnt even fired it in over 20 years??? :screwy:

I've been beggin him to go to the range with me.....he swears he will while on Christmas break but then again he said that at Easter too...?

And I'm told he has an over 100 yr old double barrel shotgun, that he has never fired..?

I am not all that familiar with all of this stuff, maybe one is not supposed to fire something that old...but if I kept it by my bed and loaded I do believe I would want to know if it worked or not.

Dont ask me I just married into it all ;)

Product: Model 27 - S&W Classics - 4" - Blue or Nickel

Classics - Model 27 - S&W Classics - 4" - Blue or Nickel Price: $1,090.00

:D:eek::P

Yeah. They're way too proud of those things.

Honestly? If they were making them true classics without the zit lock on the side? I'd probably have bought their Model 18 reissue.

I have a couple of S&W revolvers with the zit lock, but I don't consider them collectible or beautiful, just functional.