Stupid travel question

O.K I can't seem to find the info I am looking for so maybe you guys can help me out. I will be traveling to Michigan in February to visit my dad, hopefully before he dies. I will be traveling thorough Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan. I know my HCP is honered in these states, but are there any stupid obscure laws I need to be aware of. I heard some state, don't know which says if you are carrying in a car you have to be wearing the gun or it is not legal. I was just wondering if I need to know about any dumb laws such as that on my route. I don't want to get busted because I put the gun on the seat next to me or something like that. Also thanks up front for any information you can provide as I am currently working on the worst ship on the Great Lakes and we have really lousy internet access most of the time, so my thank yous may be a while in coming. Although one good thing, are miserable excuse for a chief engineer just got busted for DWI last night and the company sent him home for the remainder of the shipping season. I guess there really is a Santa Claus.Thanks for the help guys.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made that trip many times and AFAIK there aren't (any longer) any weird requirements. Ohio used to require that you open carry in cars, but that was changed. In Michigan you have to inform the officer when stopped, and any handgun in a vehicle is considered concealed.

If you venture into Ohio, check their laws. I believe they have some weird requirements if you get pulled over. I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but definitely worth reading up on.

Ohio is a "must inform officer" state, and they consider a gun loaded if there is a loaded magazine/clip/speedloader anywhere in the vehicle.