Comments/Suggestions for the Phoenix .22

Guest bubruins

Guest bubruins

I shot a friend of mines phoenix .22 tonight at the range and I had several problems with it. I did a search on this site and found most phoenix related posts to be about failures, but not solutions.

I shot some Remington thunderbolt and Winchester high velocity plated ammunition through it and I encountered several FTF's and FTE's. Has anyone on this forum had any success with a different ammunition, such as CCI minimags?

Are there any modifications that can be made to this gun that would improve reliability (i.e. polishing the feed ramp or a DIY job)?

I'm asking because my friend told me the gun was worth less than $50 to him and I've been eyeing the .22 plinker handgun market lately.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a cheap .22 Retail is about $150, so smith work probably really isn't worth it.

Having said that, mine is very reliable with round nose ammo and lots of lube.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Ammo of preference is CCI mini-mags. Seems to work well with all .22 pistols.

I have a Phoenix HP-22, and it has been 100% reliable for me. Here's my review:

Phoenix Arms HP22A .22 LR Pistol Review

You should also visit the Phoenix Arms forum. I believe your friend's little gun can be made reliable and fun to shoot with just a little effort!

bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com :: View Forum - Phoenix Arms pistols.

I would give him $50 in a heart beat!

Magazines seem to be the issue with any auto loader I have had that had feed issues.

With some tweaking of the feed lips, either tightening them up, or making them a little looser has solved the issue every time. A little dry lube has helped in certain instances too.

Grease on the rails instead of oil might help some too. Grease what slides, oil what turns or pivots.

I agree with Mousegunner though, 50 bucks would be a reasonable offer provided you think you can fiddle with it to make it work.

Guest bubruins

Thanks for all of the info, especially the links. Last night was my first night shooting a .22 handgun so now I know about the CCI ammo. I'll pick some up before we go to the range again and see how it works.

I read mousegunner's review and noticed that he had the optional 5 inch barrel. Did this make a significant (or $41 dollars worth) change in accuracy? Does anyone on here have any experience with this or any other modifications?

mine performs pretty well. But I had it checked out by lowbud before I bought it. Plenty fun and plenty cheap in my opinion.

Seems pretty darn accurate too, I've shot it. Really.

And it's really held up well...between us, must have almost a hundred trouble free rounds through it by now? :P

- OS

Mine was beat to death almost when I got it for a song. It runs surprisingly well, and although I wouldn't wanna trust my life with it, its a great plinker. I have the one short barrel with mine, wouldnt mind getting an extra longer barrel as well. Everything I have read about it on the net indicates that as far as "Saturday night specials" go, its among the more reliable. I find it odd that many of these "specials" are made in Commiefornia...

Guest mikedwood

Less then $50? I'd grab it, clean it, use Miltec1 on it and use CCI FMJ and I about bet it would shoot fine.

If not you would have a great plinking gun to practice tap rack bang on for $50.

Guest Bonedaddy

Mine didn't like nothing but CCI at first, now it shoots the cheaper stuff pretty reliable but I did polish the feed ramp and "slightly" rounded the edge of the breach. Pretty accurate for a cheap pistol. I have both barrels and I swear the 3" is almost as accurate as the 5" out to 15 yards. Sometimes they just need shooting some to smooth them out. If you buy it used, I would take a dremel tool to the mag safety. Won't take 5 minutes to fix. That way you can drop the mag and rack the slide to clear a FTF or FTE without having to put in an empty mag.

What exactly do you have to do to do this? I HATE theat safety, lol.

Mine didn't like nothing but CCI at first, now it shoots the cheaper stuff pretty reliable but I did polish the feed ramp and "slightly" rounded the edge of the breach. Pretty accurate for a cheap pistol. I have both barrels and I swear the 3" is almost as accurate as the 5" out to 15 yards. Sometimes they just need shooting some to smooth them out. If you buy it used, I would take a dremel tool to the mag safety. Won't take 5 minutes to fix. That way you can drop the mag and rack the slide to clear a FTF or FTE without having to put in an empty mag.

I'd be interested in the mag safety "fix" as well. I used mine a few weeks ago to introduce some new shooters, and that mag safety was confusing to them.

Guest bubruins

Like many have mentioned, the gun isn't something I'd trust my life with. I would have one FTF or FTE per magazine on average. I only shot about 70 rounds, though.

It's good to hear that people are having some success with them as plinkers and that you can remove that goofey magazine safety.

Like many have mentioned, the gun isn't something I'd trust my life with. I would have one FTF or FTE per magazine on average. I only shot about 70 rounds, though.

It's good to hear that people are having some success with them as plinkers and that you can remove that goofey magazine safety.

only a nincompoop would trust their life to a .22, I always thought they were made for only one reason.. plinking..