LaserMax in the guide rod??

DaveTN

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using these? Are they adjustable?

To me this is far more desirable than a grip mounted laser. But I wonder how they hold up under the stress/shock of being in the guide rod?

I had one in a G22 for a while, back about 11 or 12 years ago. It worked just fine and held up for not just me but the fellow I eventually sold it to as well. It was accurate, and put the spot on or close to where the bullet went.

The only real problem I had with it was that when the :eek: hit the fan, I usually forgot it was there, being too busy looking for both the front sight and the target. Having to remember to push the button to turn it one was just an unwanted addition to the workload. ( The switch for mine was the take-down latch bar. Push it left or right, the laser was on, center it for "off". )

Oh, the other catch was finding a holster that wouldn't accidentally turn it on and run the batteries down.

J.

I have had the Lasermax for several years. Good quality product and never had a problem. It is accurate. No need for adjustment. It is great for us older guys who do not have the eye sight we had in our younger years. Also, it could be that one last line of defense before having to fire your weapon at a potential assailant. Nothing like the psychological effect of having a red dot pointed at their groin to make them have second thoughts. Of course that won't work in all situations because some will force you to shoot to neutralize the threat no matter what you do. However, if you can do everything possible to stop the threat without having to shoot, it can save you from the negatives of the aftermath.

Nothing like the psychological effect of having a red dot pointed at their groin to make them have second thoughts.

Well, having tried a couple of lasers, I'm afraid I fall into the category of having no use for 'em either. And one of the reasons for that is, if they have time for the red dot ( which they likely won't see on them any way ) to have a psychological effect, they'll likely have time to fire at the little red light on the front of your gun.

Sorry, but give me a good set of night sights over a laser any day (night? ), and I'll leave it to the bullets/bullet holes to have a "psychological effect". :D

J.

Ionly weird thing is hear is that anytime you just hold it or shoot it the unit turns on, since the activation switch/button is right on the grip under the Trigger guard ?

I like this feature. I don't want to worry about finding a switch.

:D Lasers do have a place. They are indispensable in situations where your line of sight is compromised. For example, a bad guy attempts a car jack by entering vehicle via rear passenger side door. For most right hand, right eye dominant shooters this is going to be a "hail mary" shot. With a laser, this is a much easier weak hand "sight on target" scenario. :D

Guest 10mm4me
There is no way the above could happen!

There's no way an aftermarket part,that is not of the maker's original design could fail?I beg to differ.Use a Crimson Trace grip laser, a rail laser, or a rear sight laser that does not interfere with original design.You also have to replace the slide stop lever with this product don't you. So that's (2) major, gun critical parts being replaced for no reason.JMO.

There's no way an aftermarket part,that is not of the maker's original design could fail?I beg to differ.Use a Crimson Trace grip laser, a rail laser, or a rear sight laser that does not interfere with original design.You also have to replace the slide stop lever with this product don't you. So that's (2) major, gun critical parts being replaced for no reason.JMO.

In the case of the Glock, the laser is a helluva lot more sturdy than the plastic guide rod it replaces, and other than the extra width in the notch on the take-down lever, it's every bit the equal of the factory piece.

In my opinion, the worst thing likely to happen to you with a guide rod laser is that you turn it on, but waste time looking for a dot that isn't there due to the batteries being dead. As I said, the one I had was particular about which holster it liked, and I lost more than one set of batteries finding one that it did.

J.

Only prob is, when it the breaks, the gun becomes inoperable, if you trust your life to a novelty aftermarket part then use 'em.

Are you referring to the Lazermax breaking and disabling the Glock? I don't think so. Like someone on here already stated, if the lazer doesn't work or is not turned on, you just use the regular sights. It still works as the guide rod. the lazer has nothing to do with the proper functioning of the Glock, that I'm aware of. Anybody got one they want to sell?

Guest 10mm4me
i have seen the end break and cause the gun to seize up... fwiw

Exactly.Do some research.This :lol: happens alot w/this product.There are much better choices if you want a laser on your gun.

Kindly define "a lot", 'cause Phil's example is the first one I've heard of in over a dozen years.

Have heard of and seen more than a few examples of plastic guide rods shredding, eroding, or otherwise breaking though... especially in Glock's early years.

Again, just in case you missed it, the point is that an aftermarket part is not necessarily inferior to the factory-issue one.

J.

I have owned every laser out there. The laser max is by far the best. I have several thousand rounds on mine. For the pf9 the arma laser for the price is the way to go. Drop tests on the arma are out of this world. And yes lasers are for play most of the time. The laser max is the best over all.

Guest rocker2229

I have a Lasermax on my EDC Sig 228. Other than sending it back for replacement because the laser died within warranty period, I haven't had any problems with it. And yes, my 228 functioned perfectly when the laser died, which only rendered the laser inoperable, not the firearm.

Before the Lasermax, I had Crimson Trace laser grips which I sold off to buy the Lasermax. My only issue with the CT grips was that I greatly preferred my Hogue finger groove grips to the feel of the CT grips. The CT grips felt a bit thin to me, and I wasn't sure they would wear well on my EDC firearm.

Of course, that's just my .02 and YMMV.

Doc

Edited by rocker2229
typo

My thinking is that lasers do have a place and are useful to guys like myself with eye issues and for the wives who don't shoot regularly. I have CT grips on a Jframe for my wife, and am planning on one for a K frame. I have found that after a little time sighting in, the dot and impact point on the jframe are in perfect unity from extreme close range out to about 30 yards, at least by sandbag testing. Wife likes her gun with them so I'd give them a +1. Also considering a set for house and carry guns for me. JMO

Guest Rupertus

I bought a Lasermax long ago but never really used it; not a big fan of relying on a laser but thought it was cool to goof around with. It held up well, but the lens popped out somehow. It still worked bunk gunk could get in it. Sent it back well over ten years after I bought it and they quickly sent me a brand new model with no questions asked.