In wall safe

Guest colrmccoll

Guest colrmccoll

Does anyone have a recommendation on an in-wall safe, especially one that fits between joists and in the sheet rock cavity?

I have two requirements: either biometric or keypad entry and mounts flush to the wall.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colrmccoll

I suppose that is the issue. I have Googled them and some will fit in the standard cavity of 2x4 construction with 16" OC studs.

Having not seen one in person, I don't know just how much room is available.

A wall mount safe is only good as long as it stays hidden...I wouldnt worry a whole lot about the locking mechanism on the front...im no thief but I would imagine even the best wall safe when found would be fairly easy to steal first(with a decent axe) and open later at burglars convenience.

edit: for usefullness sake Gunny's in Maryville had some on display that looked pretty cool last time I was there.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
useful info
Guest colrmccoll

The locking mechanism criteria is for me to gain quick access. I understand the vulnerabilities of this type safe but I don't want to have to enter the code and insert a key or enter the code and turn a knob. I want it to jump open on a correct code entry.

I have a Gardall regular duty with the electronic key pad.

Gardall heavy duty and regular duty wall safes

I had orderd the 4" deep one. They sent me the 5 1/2" deep one. I went ahead and installed it and added trim around the lip. Overall I like the depth of the one I have and am glad I didnt actually get what I ordered. LOL

As someone stated, it isnt a high security "safe". I got mine, mainly because I have toddler running about and it will keep him out and will slow down the average run of the mill smash and grab crook.

Guest colrmccoll

The depth is one of my concerns. I have several places I can mount a much deeper one. Although, the sheet rock cavity would provide more options.

I followed your link. Does yours require a key and a digital input?

Guest leadcounsel

IMO a wall safe that is discovered is useless. A thief with an ax or a sawzall or reciprocating saw would just cut the studs and take the safe.

The electrical outlet ones look good and are cheap, but small. Once installed, a chair or plant in front of it would help conceal it.

I followed your link. Does yours require a key and a digital input?

The digital pad unlocks it and the key actuates the three bolts. I just leave the key in it 99% of the time. When ever we leave town I lock the key into the firearm safe. Over all I am happy with it. One complaint is that every time you press a number it beeps. I have been debating on wether or not I should disconnect the speaker.

Agree with your premise but how many buglers arrive with an ax or sawzall?

CHAAAARRRGE!!!

I do agree that an electrical outlet safe won't hold much more than an NAA derringer. And that's a maybe.