Anyone else having trouble with their Comcast internet service?

musicman

I'm not connecting with three computers at my house (2 laptops and an iPod touch) on either my wireless network or the two unsecured networks in my neighborhood.

I've reset my router a few times, but no dice. I'm only able to go online via my blackberry right now. Anybody else?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if the circumstance is applicable but a few weeks ago my router completely failed. While I was on the phone with Comcast tech doing process of elimination to figure out if the cable, modum or router was the problem I was advised by Comcast that after the router failure Comcast would have to reset the modum remotely.

Guest jackdm3

I was on AT&T, but with old phone lines in my area or a faulty hub, they couldn't/couldn't fix it after 5 phone calls and three house calls. Kicked their asses to the curb, got Comcast for double the cost, but exceedingly better signal. Had one issue with a modem, got it replaced and no problems since. Everybody here is talking about U-verse to replace Comcast.

They update the modem's firmware at the most inconvenient of times. That could be what it is. Are there only two lights on on the modem, one of them flashing? Could be three, still only one flashing. DS or US, and power. That would mean it's updating.

ComcAssed has been up and down several times over the past week in the South Nashville/Antioch/Smyrna/M-boro area. I know several people who had no internet this morning, but phone and tv were working. All three out a few times in past week.

I had intermittent service for about two years. Kept calling Comcast and they said there was nothing wrong. I finally changed to a new modem and all my drop offs and service problems went away. I guess my old modem was just not up to the newer higher speeds that Comcast is sending down the line.

No complaints now.

I'm not connecting with three computers at my house (2 laptops and an iPod touch) on either my wireless network or the two unsecured networks in my neighborhood.

I've reset my router a few times, but no dice. I'm only able to go online via my blackberry right now. Anybody else?

Connect on puter directly with modem only to test?

Might have to let it reset puter IP, assuming modem does have connection.

Can reboot, or (in XP, same in Vista I guess?):

Start/Run: Command

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

- OS

Thanks for all the replies guys. I would have responded more, but... I still have no service!

Yea, I did all the resets, went direct w/o the router, pinged fine, reset the IPs, and a few other things but still had no luck. They are sending out a tech tomorrow to check it out.

I appreciate all the advice! I'm pretty sure it's not on my end as going direct with all my equipment didn't correct the problem.

I love my BlackBerry, but NOT as my primary internet device! :)

Are you certain the two unsecured networks in your neighborhood are both Comcast? If they're some other ISP, as strange as it may seem, it's probably your machines.

Likely case is you have a bad modem and those two networks aren't really unsecured.

I've been on Comcast for years. I've had a few issues, but mostly I've had good service.

Dumb question: did you try taking your router out of the picture by plugging one of your computers directly to the cable modem? Those cheap routers are useful, but I've had them die more than once over the years.

Just a suggestion..I've found that power dips sometimes mess with router settings - especially the MAC address which you need even for Windoze. I now have my router and modem on an inexpensive battery power backup. Had no problems since I did this (if Comcast is up, of course).

I've had comcast out to my place 3 or 4 times now because my internet will mysteriously stop working for hours at a time, usually when I want to use it the most. Each time, I get some bonehead excuse and "Well, it seems to be working now".

The most recent call in yesterday yielded a tech with this suggestion: our signal is too strong, and combined with the splitter, the modem can't properly synch with Comcast sometimes. So I have to wait 3 hours for a tech to show up today, so he can tune the signal down. We'll see if it works. I seriously doubt it, because several techs ago, it was suggested that the signal was too low.

Nobody at Comcast ever knows what anybody else is doing.

An update, which verifies my last sentence:

My appointment time was 8-11 AM. I get a call just a few minutes ago from the service tech saying since he was out here last week, he knows nothing is wrong with my stuff. He also said that there were three other houses in that neighborhood experiencing the same thing that I was, and we were all supposed to be on "intermittent standby", which means that when I called yesterday, somebody should have been dispatched immediately to my place to look at the neighborhood connection. And when I detached the splitter and suddenly made my modem function, that was all a coincidence. Too bad so sad, we're not coming out to your place and as far as we're concerned, we can't really do crap for you.

Like I said, nobody knows what anybody else is doing over there. They're all spouting off individual opinions and calling everybody else that works there liars. It's so stupid. If I didn't already hate AT&T because of their lousy wireless service, I would call them up and start inquiring about their services.

I've had comcast out to my place 3 or 4 times now because my internet will mysteriously stop working for hours at a time, usually when I want to use it the most. Each time, I get some bonehead excuse and "Well, it seems to be working now".

The most recent call in yesterday yielded a tech with this suggestion: our signal is too strong, and combined with the splitter, the modem can't properly synch with Comcast sometimes. So I have to wait 3 hours for a tech to show up today, so he can tune the signal down. We'll see if it works. I seriously doubt it, because several techs ago, it was suggested that the signal was too low.

Nobody at Comcast ever knows what anybody else is doing.

Cable modems are DOCSIS compliant. They require a downstream RF carrier level of -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV. Any carrier level too high or too low can cause problems.

Temperature affects the attenuation of the cable in the system. If the amplifier's AGCs are not properly set up, this cold weather we've been having could cause RF levels to rise at amplifier locations causing unwanted distortions that could impact modem performance. This same effect could also cause levels at the home to increase in the cold weather.

Not saying this is the case but it could be what the technicians are dealing with.

No, I don't work for Comcast so this is speculation but it fits with the current weather situation.

... And when I detached the splitter and suddenly made my modem function, that was all a coincidence. ...

I have had two bad splitters over the last five years or so. Doesn't affect TV but affects Net. I can't imagine what can go south in such a simple device, but have proven that they do.

- OS