IDPA or Other in Nashville - Real Experiences

Alright - I know where the clubs are, and I have read what their websites say about beginners. I believe every word, and I know from experience that the pro-gun community is very accepting of n00bs like me, but I'd still like to hear from TGO members who have started from scratch. I know everyone is different, so your own stories would be very much appreciated.

What do you really have to know to go out and shoot a match?

How long does it take to be competitive (ability and talent are a factor here, but I've asked for testimonials, so go ahead)? Is participation, apart from your range practice, enough to improve your skills?

Will there be babes?:drama:

Thanks, ladies and gents. I'm on the fence about competitive shooting, as far as whether or not it's worth the time and money. I'm thinking it's one of those things that would be cool to try, but...at the same time, I could sleep in as well.

Your input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in Brush creek. Actually, not in Dickson or in Gallitan that I've seen. Perhaps I scare them all off with my rugged good looks :taunt: or they're smart enough not to go into the woods with a bunch of guys with guns...don't know which

I shoot mostly @ Brush Creek. Good group of guys. They take the time to talk the new guys through the ins and outs...make sure you don't shoot themselves or anyone else.

I've been shooting IDPA for a bit over a year, not really competitive yet in my book, but usually I'm not dead last either. I had a good day last time and came in 2nd in my class...I've had bad days as well. When the timer goes off...sometimes the brain goes away as well.

Get a decent OWB holster, at leat 4 mags, a mag holder and give it a shot. I've taken students out W/ me before, no real training on drawing from concealment, speed relaods, etc...and they did fine

Alright - I know where the clubs are, and I have read what their websites say about beginners. I believe every word, and I know from experience that the pro-gun community is very accepting of n00bs like me, but I'd still like to hear from TGO members who have started from scratch. I know everyone is different, so your own stories would be very much appreciated.

How long does it take to be competitive (ability and talent are a factor here, but I've asked for testimonials, so go ahead)? Is participation, apart from your range practice, enough to improve your skills?

Will there be babes?:taunt:

Thanks, ladies and gents. I'm on the fence about competitive shooting, as far as whether or not it's worth the time and money. I'm thinking it's one of those things that would be cool to try, but...at the same time, I could sleep in as well.

If you have the presence of mind to keep your finger out of the triggerguard while running around with a loaded handgun and can hit a paper plate at 10 yards fairly quickly, you are ready to start. Unless you're an ex-SWAT team member with lots of experience, it will be a worthwhile eye-opener. Yes, it's artificial stress and paper targets don't shoot back, but you'd be surprised what some who preach this do when they finally put their money where their mouth is. Many never show their face again.

When I started out, I used a Glock 23 and a leather thumb-break holster. I had lots of experience with handguns and came in 5th out of 17 at my first local match. I had varying results afterward. Literally one bullet being two inches low at the 2007 MS State Championship kept me from making Master 10 months after I started. Nine months later, I finally made Master. You can be somewhat competitive fairly quickly. To get in the top 10% at a big sanctioned match takes some time. A lot of it depends on the folks you're shooting against and the quality of the stages you're shooting.

Give it a shot. Concentrate on being safe and accurate, forget speed, and see what happens. You may be hooked, or you may know to sleep in next time.

BTW, babes are few and far between, but they are there.

Edited by deerslayer

1. How to safely load, unload, reload, draw and reholster your pistol. Safety is the main concern for new shooters.

2. 2-3 years on average less if you shoot several times a month. However you will be slotted in a class where you can be competitive with shooters of similar skill right away.

3. You will have to practice on your own or with someone better than you to improve.

4. No comment.

I'm the Match Director for Music City Tactical we have a match this Sat in Dickson. It would be my pleasure to have you come and shoot with us.

We hold special range briefings for brand new shooters to go over commands and safety. If you can follow basic range commands and follow safety procedures you will be welcome at any range.

I started shooting USPSA in Dickson just over a year ago. I'm fat, slow, inflexible, almost blind, and borderline retarded when it comes to short term memory.

But I have a blast. The people, the shooting, the whole experience is great. Personally, I now have an issue with being completely bored shooting at an indoor target range. I want to draw and ninja roll from lane to lane, and put 2 in each person's target.

The order of things: Be safe, then be accurate, then be fast.

Mac

Definitely give it a shot. First timers get to shoot for $5, so it's a small investment to see if you like it. You will definitely see some folks shoot that will humble you, but if you consider it a competition more with yourself, you'll find you do all right. Hopefully I will be at the Dickson match on Saturday. Hope to see a few of you folks there.

if you consider it a competition more with yourself, you'll find you do all right.QUOTE]

A very true statement. Just try to shoot well and don't worry about speed or how others are doing.

I called up the MCTS guys two years ago just to come watch a match. They talked me in to bringing my gear and shooting. They were all very nice and helpful. I have been hooked ever since. Give it a try. You might like it.

I shoot in Gallatin at just about every match, matter of fact we had the Arctic Blast Match this past weekend. We shoot the 2nd Saturday of each month and always weclome and look forward to new shooters coming out.

Dickson runs a first rate match and you will learn alot from gsbell, all of the guys there are great.

Will there be babes?:lol:

What you need to know= Gun safety!

If you are a good shooter you should be in the middle of the pack for a few matches and you will move up as you learn the game.

Yes, it will make you a better shooter and your gun handling skill will be much better.

Yes, there will be "Babes" most of them will be with their husbands, who will be armed. Bring your own girl.:D

If you like to shoot you will probably find it worth your time.

I say give it a try, if you don't have fun you can go back to sleeping in.

Shot my first match at the end of 04 and can't stop. I went out to Dickson and shot with the folks at NTPS Home Page and I couldn't have asked for a nicer bunch of guys. No matter what your shooting level, you are welcome as long as you're safe. The folks at Music City Tactical Shooters - IDPA Nashville shoot at the same range and some guys shoot both USPSA and IDPA and I'm sure the guys there are very accommodating as well. I'm planning on shooting with mctsc next month. Not sure I will be legal with my single stack rig but I wont care if they score me or not. I'm there for the shootin'.

Like Deerslayer said, if you can keep your finger out of the triggerguard when it's not supposed to be you're ready to try shooting a match.

The vibe is real laid back for a bunch of guys running around with loaded firearms, you'll be surprised, and you'll see that most everybody is just seeing if they can improve their skills a bit and have fun... Where you end up on the scorecard at the end of the day isn't ghat big of a deal, getting comfortable shooting on the move and in the different scenerios IS.

You'll need 3-4 mags, a holster and mag carrier and you're in business, I'd also say that teaching yourself to shoot with both eyes open if you don't already helps a lot, you gotta try it...

Pretty humbling though, shooting pretty groups in a lane at range doesn't really mean much and will seem boring by comparison to what match shooting is like!

Plus, you'll meet a bunch of good dudes, hope to meet ya at a match sometime.

Thought I'd chime in as well since last summer I was where the OP is now. I was lucky enough to be invited to shoot with NTPS by a fellow TGO'er. Everyone there was welcoming, generous with good advice and very focused on safety.

What do you need to know? Others have said it, but 1) safety, then 2) accuracy and finally 3) speed. If you aren't safe then fix that before you hurry!

How long to be competitive? Totally depends on your definitions and expectations. I am competing against myself, as are most shooters. While I am much better now than I was 6 months ago, I also understand the sport well enough to have a better sense of how much I have left to learn.

The next NTPS match is 13 & 14 February. They're a great bunch of people. New shooters shoot their first match for free, so you've got nothing to lose. If you want more info feel free to PM me.

Edited by AH1356

I just learned about the IDPA last night. I'm safe, and not a bad range shot, but speed reloads and shooting while moving are foreign. This looks fun. I take my HCP next weekend, after that I'm going to find a match that I can fit in my schedule. Thanks for all the great info!

Iyaoyas98,

I think the most important here is to be safe and to have an open mind. I am still getting better at it and I am seeing improvement. I still have the issue on shooting while moving and shooting with my weak hand. But I do love doing these things because I am not in my comfort zone.

I brought a friend of mind at the last MCTS match he said he was just gonna watch the match just to see whats it going to be like. But at the last minute when GsBell asked for the new shooters meeting GsBell talked my friend into shooting which he did. And I think it was an eye opener for him, He knows about the sport just never had the chance. And I called him that evening after the match and asked him what he thought. He said that he enjoyed it alot and that he will have to practice shooting while in the move and mag change.... He will be back he stated..

So if you are a first time shooter.... You should diffenantly go to MCTS and with us the fee is $5 for the first time shooters. When you come it will change the way you think of Defensive Shooting...Hope to see you there brother, I can't say enough about the staff at MCTS they are a great bunch of guys that are willing to help you out.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

Just to chime in here. I think you'll find the welcome and helpful attitude anywhere you find an IDPA club. I've been shooting IDPA for just a little over a year and usually finish up middle of the group when it comes to speed where I started towards the bottom. But really what it all comes down to is fun. Plain and simple, I dont shoot to compete, I shoot to have a good time.