Nashville Police trade-ins??

Guest bsherrill

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you looking for?

There are a few ways to get "police trade in" firearms.

1. Some Depts/Agencies actually hold public auctions of traded in/seized firearms.

This normally doesnt do much for the dept, as these funds then flow into the general fund at county or city level.

This means the dept. loses control of said money, which means it gets spent on streetlights and raises for dog catchers.

2. Lots of guns are traded in to LE supply companies such as Craigs, Gulf States, GTs, and Hero-Gear (we have about a dozen bids out right now for this very thing)

What happens there is a dept will solicit bids to 2 or 3 companies, asking "how much credit will you give us for our junk"

The company with the best bid normally wins, and the dept. ends up with some nice credit to be used for things like; new duty guns, duty gear, uniforms, etc.

3. Here is where things get interesting.

Places like Craigs wont sell to the general public, so what do they do with the guns?

They mark them up, and sell them to gunshops or distributors, who then mark them up again and sell them at retail.

So, in theory (and generally speaking) MOST gun stores have access to used/traded in guns from police departments.

They order them from places like; CDNN, Craigs, Lew Horton, etc.

Very few shops actually have direct access to traded/seized firearms that come directly from the dept.

Guest pdosafety

Joe is exactly right. Right now we have a few Nashville Police trade in Glocks. And they came from the above mentioned stores. You can get some good deals on these. You can tell they are used alot but still are in great shape.

Guest last1is4me

Gunbroker has an abundance of police in trade ins available from several dealers and pretty good prices from most. I just bought a S&W 6645 stainless in excellent condition except for wear on the grips for $325.

No kidding. That's due to all the people adding their overhead. Just like everything else. a $20 item hits the retail shelf at $99. Gotta love it!

Yeah....thats it. :rofl:

Let me know what 20.00 items are getting marked up to 99 bucks so I can order a bunch of them. :eek:

There are several items that easily have a several-hundred percent mark-up by the time they hit retail shelves. Because of the industries my girlfriend and I are in, I can tell you that flooring and mattresses seem to be some of the highest.

For example; the company my girlfriend works for can sell a particular mattress and boxspring set to a retail store for a few hundred dollars, and it's not uncommon to see that retail store selling the same bed for 5-6 times as much as they paid for it.

I have a friend who works for a greeting card company, and he claims the mark-up can be as high as 1000%.

I have no idea what it costs to manufacture a gun, so I'm not sure guns are the same way. I wouldn't imagine so.

It's Not the dealers that make a decent profit on guns, it's the factory, wholesalers, and distributors that get their money, by the time the shop-owner buys the weapons he's " handcuffed" on what profit he can make.

Yeah....thats it. :tinfoil:

Let me know what 20.00 items are getting marked up to 99 bucks so I can order a bunch of them. :tinfoil:

Joe, are you kidding me? I didn't say the retail shops are making 500% profit on their goods.. I'm just saying by the time a $20 item hits the retail shelf it's $100.

Same can be said for used firearms.. not as many stops along the way but on the retail shelf there's not alot of savings over new. Probably more profit for the gunshop tho.. especially if they get the bid for the lot.

it's just the way it is..

and don't even get me started on advertising, endorsements and the like..

There are several items that easily have a several-hundred percent mark-up by the time they hit retail shelves. ...

I have no idea what it costs to manufacture a gun, so I'm not sure guns are the same way. I wouldn't imagine so.

Many industries have similar mark-ups. But you also have to look at the costs of carrying inventory. In the case of mattresses, a store has to have a lot of 'demonstrators' which are not often sold to the public for hygienic reasons. and every time a new model comes out, that is another mattress which the store must buy and lose money on.

Think about how many greeting cards you see in display racks. Would you ever buy one which doesn't look right? Think how many get dropped, stepped on, bent, stolen, etc. All of that is pure loss for the seller. And then there are cards which just plain never sell.

There is nobody in the chain that is making a 'killing' except on those rare occasions when something is trendy. Everything is subject to supply and demand. The trick is in making sure that they match as evenly as possible for maximum profit. If you sell 1000 of something for $100 with a $10 profit, you make $10,000 dollars. If you sell 10,000 with $5 profit, you've made $50,000 dollars. Most people would much rather manufacture and sell more of an item at a slightly lower per-item profit.

Yeah....thats it. :tinfoil:

Let me know what 20.00 items are getting marked up to 99 bucks so I can order a bunch of them. :tinfoil:

Very true

Go to lowes or home depot and price a 5 gallon can of kerosene. Or refill a propane tank, or buy a coke and popcorn at a theater, refill a printer.

There are instances....but very, VERY few of them in the firearm world. Only one I can think of is the manufacture of suppressors....those folks are making a killing.

Yep, that's why when it only cost Glock $25 to make one and most sell for $500 or more.

That is the cost of materials only. This is known.

You have to add salaries

& Legal staff

& facilities

& lights, heating

& shipping

& materials disposal

& marketing

& pensions

& contractors

& taxes

& technology/maintenance

& training

& insurance

Comes out to a bit more money

That is the cost of materials only. This is known.

You have to add salaries

& Legal staff

& facilities

& lights, heating

& shipping

& materials disposal

& marketing

& pensions

& contractors

& taxes

& technology/maintenance

& training

& insurance

Comes out to a bit more money

Ceo salaries

Legal staff

materials disposal

marketing

insurance

All the highest on the list.. BASTARDS! Without all that fluff would could buy more guns!!!

to answer your question we keep in stock several LE trades all the time.

As I type I see we have Glock 40cal 23's 3rd generation(light rail) with night sights and extra mags, Several Beretta 96's in 40cal with night sights and a ton of stanless S&W 9mm's with night sights in different sizes and capacitys. They all range $350-$450 depending on what you want.

Ceo salaries

Legal staff

materials disposal

marketing

insurance

All the highest on the list.. BASTARDS! Without all that fluff would could buy more guns!!!

Not really, a can of coke costs a fraction of a penny to manufacture and around $.07 after EVERYTHING is included.

It wouldnt surprise me if the total cost of a glock is $25. Particularly when other polymer guns can sell for less than $200 new.

Guest Eagle Eye

Eyeglass frames have a very high mark up. Most all design apparel! It costs just pennies to make a Nike shoe outside the US.

Taxes are killer in the US.

On the other hand it costs a company $10 to send a paper bill ( postage, paper, envelope, employee time, printing, etc).

• Admin Team

It really doesn't matter what the manufacturing cost of an item is. There are too many other costs associated with getting an item to the shelf. If, as a manufacturer, you can't sell an item for roughly 3x what it cost you to make it, you're going to go out of business.

Manufacturing costs are really only a pretty small part of the overall cost of an item unless you are running a really lean operation.

That said, I think one of the great things about most of the vendors on this board, Hero Gear especially is that even if they could get away with marking a $20 wholesale item up to $100 retail, they wouldn't. They are honest people first. They know how a customer wants to be treated second. And they're smart, third. The Internet has made the world a much smaller place. Anyone who price gouges these days is going to eventually go out of business.