Approved, now what?

Guest bigbovine

Guest bigbovine

I've waited patiently for my stamps, have two in waiting. I have even been good about not calling for info. However, reading some info two weeks ago, I came across the "phone number". I finally couldn't resist. Things were slow yesterday at work and my brother and i got to talking about the ins and outs of what I had to do to obtain my two suppressors. He said "why not call?". So I did. And lo and behold, They just approved both of them that day(yesterday). So my question would be, What is the average time waiting after approval. I understand they may be waiting for bulk mailouts and whatnot. Just curious, not in a hurry.

Mailed out both stamps one week apart from each other, sometime in mid November(Somewhere around 11/17/09 to 11/25/09). Both approved on 1/29/10. Thats just over two months. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbovine

Both YHM products. The first I got was the phantom QD for my AR. The second was the Stainless Mite for my 10/22. Since then i have built from parts a 10/22 to use as the host for the suppressor, and will be leaving my stock 10/22 untouched. The built one includes

Kidd Receiver

Kidd Bolt

Kidd Trigger with 1lb/2lb pull

High Desert Dog Stainless Spiral Fluted Barrel

Boyds Blaster Stock Sky Blue, Resanded, reefinished and freefloated

Warn medium rings

Leupold 4-12x40 AO

PC301153.jpg

PC301152.jpg

Hope that satisfies for now.

Guest bigbovine

I also have a MK3 anniversary stainless with the wood grips. I cannot seem to talk myself into threading it either as with my original 10/22. Am giving serious thought to a buckmark that is already threaded, or I may just leave thre can on the rifle.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
I also have a MK3 anniversary stainless with the wood grips. I cannot seem to talk myself into threading it either as with my original 10/22. Am giving serious thought to a buckmark that is already threaded, or I may just leave thre can on the rifle.

Have it threaded. The job is pretty hard to do correctly so there is decent market for suppressor ready Ruger Mk. series bull barrel pistols. I used Tornado Technologies but they are currently not accepting the Ruger Mk. guns last time I checked due to the the current work load. However if you call them they might be able to take yours in for the services as it is easier for them to do the stainless guns.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigbovine

Well, I got my paperwork a week after I called. That would make it 21/2 months. And thanks Two Lane for the heads up on Tornado Technologies. They were very helpful with my questions on the MK3 and I have shipped the upper to them. Now for a little more waiting and some good weather!

Long time visitor to this forum, mostly use the classifieds, but have been browsing the other areas occasionally. I am learning a lot about the application process and plan to send in for the stamp to buy a supressor for several guns. Is the average response time about 2-3 months or is this just temporarily slow due to the gun buying craze? I want to get one for 22 and one for 9mm but I really need one of them sooner for some upcoming classes. Is there any option to pay more or use express couriers for faster turnaround?

Nope. The fastest way is to go the trust route and buy from a stocking dealer in state. The ATF takes 2 to 5 months. Buying from an out of state stocking dealer will add 3 weeks to a month to that. If you buy from a manufacturer it could take several extra months depending on the manufacturing schedule. Doing a trust will save you a little time because the ATF will not have to wait on the FBI to process fingerprint cards.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Nope. The fastest way is to go the trust route

Trust is faster is more or less a myth. Typically an individual transfer takes the same about of time, if you doubt this look at the NFA time-lines that are found on various forums. Trust and individual transfers seem to average about the same total time relative to their respective examiner of course.

It's not really a myth. I have never been able to get my paperwork signed, fingerprinted, and mailed on the same day I picked the forms up. The Sheriff is not always in and it sometimes takes a couple days to get it back. The FBI has had holdups on fingerprint cards on their end. I had a problem with my second transfer because of fingerprint cards that added 9 days. It does not save you months but it does save you days or weeks. I have heard of people trying to shop examiners to save time, but I don't know how fruitful that is. Their sharing the workload and you are not guaranteed to get the same examiner as usual for a given class 3. If you need it for a class tell your dealer and offer to pay for him to go through the same class. He can bring the suppressor to class and let you use it as long as he can take possession at any time. After the class he will simply take it back to the gun shop. The biggest issue of wait time will be the examiner you get. I just sent in two form 4s today filed as an individual. So hopefully in May I'll be heavy two more NFA items.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I typically have the signed forms from the local CLEO in the mailbox within 3 days of dropping them off.

Holdups with the fingerprint cards at the FBI are uncommon, the ATF may claim this is the problem but typically the FBI will show otherwise.

Shopping for examiners can be a good idea. Examiners are assigned by the first letter of the sellers last name, or the first letter of the business name. So using a different SOT may net you a faster (or slower) transfer time. I like the SOT I use but the examiner he is assigned is awful, as of now she is the slowest examiner. However even if I used a trust I would have still received the same examiner.

From mailed to received a trust will run about the same amount of time as an individual transfer given both are reviewed by the same examiner, various NFA time-lines confirm this.

If you want your forms fast, call your house rep and have them complain to the ATF and watch your forms arrive within a week or two. Most that do this get results! I have an item pending now, and I will do such if it takes much longer.

If you want your forms fast, call your house rep and have them complain to the ATF and watch your forms arrive within a week or two. Most that do this get results! I have an item pending now, and I will do such if it takes much longer.

Are you serious? I dont think ATF is going to search through 100's, if not 1000's, of forms to find one specific one and finish it first.They have much better things to do with their time. :rolleyes:

I typically have the signed forms from the local CLEO in the mailbox within 3 days of dropping them off.

Holdups with the fingerprint cards at the FBI are uncommon, the ATF may claim this is the problem but typically the FBI will show otherwise.

Shopping for examiners can be a good idea. Examiners are assigned by the first letter of the sellers last name, or the first letter of the business name. So using a different SOT may net you a faster (or slower) transfer time. I like the SOT I use but the examiner he is assigned is awful, as of now she is the slowest examiner. However even if I used a trust I would have still received the same examiner.

From mailed to received a trust will run about the same amount of time as an individual transfer given both are reviewed by the same examiner, various NFA time-lines confirm this.

So your saying a trust is at least 2 days faster.:tough: I'm just messing with you. I've had the same examiner every time on my form 4s (Rob Howard/Nancy Flannigan) My form 1s (Dawn Henson/A Lamburger). I've been pleased with them.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Are you serious? I dont think ATF is going to search through 100's, if not 1000's, of forms to find one specific one and finish it first.They have much better things to do with their time. :up:

I am serious, I have known others who contacted their representative (and in one case their senator) about the delays and within a week of contacting their representative the approved forms arrived. ATF works for us, it's not the other way around.