I'm torn G26 or G27

Guest BoltAction

Guest BoltAction

I am in the market for a new carry gun. I was thinking about 9mm but have always been partial to .40.

I know Glock was made for the 9mm round and 9mm ammo is slightly cheaper.

Has anyone with a .40 Glock ever had any issues? I don't know that I have flip-flopped so many times on a gun. :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest G-Pa Glynn

Have a G22 & G23 (40 cal) and both are great shooters! Not had a prob with either with bout 1500 rounds through both. Thinking about the G27 myself.

If your going to be putting hundreds of round through this gun every year then I would go with the 9mm just for the lower cost of ammo. But if your only going to shoot it very little then i would go .40 for the extra stopping power.

Guest abailey362

.40 can always be converted down to 9mm, but can't easily go the other way. I would buy the 27, but I have a 23, a CW40, and a XDm in .40 so my ammo stash is already built up.

Depends on what you already have as stated above

C'mon, everybody knows 9mm just bounces off... Get the one with more recoil and more expensive ammo, real operators carry calibers that start with 4, all the people who were killed by a 9mm aren't really dead they're just sleeping still 'cause a 9mm is so boring!

Worthless euro-pellet!

If ya get ether one an don't like it, you can always get most of you money back, baby glocks hold their value real good.

Edited by Ae-35

With respect to getting the 27 and a conversion barrel, here is my thought: If I'm going to buy a gun, I'm going to buy it in the caliber I want it in, not so that I can convert it later. Why? Why would I want to buy a gun in .40, convert it to 9mm for practice, but carry the .40? Since I'm carrying the .40 should I not practice with the .40? In other words, what exactly do you gain from the conversion? Another gun that shoots a different caliber but isn't realistically usable in a combat or self-defense situation. Most people aren't going to trust a converted firearm with their life, me included. Sure I know you can swap the extractor and ejector yadda yadda and get "full" reliability out of the thing, but my original point stands, if you are going to carry it practice with the caliber you are going to carry. Or at least that is my $.02 YMMV

Guest 10mm4me
C'mon, everybody knows 9mm just bounces off... Get the one with more recoil and more expensive ammo, real operators carry calibers that start with 4, all the people who were killed by a 9mm aren't really dead they're just sleeping still 'cause a 9mm is so boring!

Worthless euro-pellet!

Please, let's not start this again. The .40 was developed with women shooters in

mind, by S&W, for the FBI .It is in actuality a girl round.Either rd is a good

defensive choice but don't get on here saying the 9mm "will bounce off"

If I was giving advice on owning only one gun I would say get a G19, probably the best all around gun for multi purpose there is. That said, when I had only one gun I went with a G23 in.40. If I had to own only one gun now I would probably go with a 10mm. Go with your gut, like someone else said, they hold their value so you can always trade if you aren't happy for little extra cost

I tried them both before settling on the 26. Found the recoil a bit harsh on the 27. If you use some decent JHP's for carry I would not worry about the stopping power issue. And of course the ammo is cheaper, plus I see more 9 available here too.

+1 to the above. That's why I went with a 26 myself. I'm not going to say someone else is wrong if they don't mind paying extra for ammo and they can shoot a .40 in a subcompact just as accurately and quickly as they shoot a 9. Me personally, I feel more comfortable with the 9 and I can be back on target with follow-ups quicker. Also, the first carry gun I bought was a 19 and I like that they use the same mags and ammo. From my limited understanding I believe some of the hotter SD 9mm loadings are nearly .40 ballistics anyway. I'm no expert and I'm not going to debate the ballistics, but for me, I think I am more likely to get multiple rounds on target quickly with the 9mm in a subcompact.

Go 26. Buy 500 rounds of Russian ball ammo and shoot the hell out of it. The 9mm JHP you will carry as a private citizen will serve you well. The comparatively cheap 9mm vs .40 ball practice ammo will serve you better. The G26 is a great gun in a great caliber if modern ammo is used.

I'm voting for the G26 also for the reasons of price & availability of ammo, quicker follow up shots, and no desire to convert a 40 to a 9MM. I'm getting a G26 soon myself for those reasons. I just dont see where a 40 fits in my needs. I also plan to get my wife a 9MM and don't want to have to buy more calibers of ammo.

I love my 26. I bought a XD 45 for my EDC but then I picked up my 26. I don't leave the house with out it.

Edited by DSMDAN
verbage
Easy answer....the conversion bbl is inexpensive...get a couple G26 mags and you're all set...2 in one....

This is why I chose the g19 over the 23. If you are going to shoot alot and have to convert a 40 to 9mm why not go with the 9mm to begin with. It will do everything that I want it to do. If you still want a 40 you can get it later. A person can't have too many Glocks.