Spare Mag carry

Friends, I'm considering carrying a spare mag in case of mag failure. I already carry my Blackberry and a multiplier for work on my belt and have no desire to appear as a mall ninja or batman with a bunch of stuff on my belt. I'm thinking of a loose mag in the pocket, but I'm sure there are good reasons not to carry this way. Plus since I carry my keys, flashlight, and pocket knife in one front pocket and gun in the other, there's no place for it there, so what to do? An IWB mag holder or ankle holster for the spare? Ideas? Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry it loose in my front pocket with my keys. Cell phone, chapstick, and loose change in the other front pocket. I carry the pistol IWB with my small leatherman directly in front of the holster for a little extra visual coverage.

I've tried it with the mag in the side pockets in my "carpenter's" jeans, but it's really hard to get to with the other hand. Not real easy opposite hand access in a front pocket, but I found the leg pocket was worse. YMMV.

Guest jackdm3

Loose-in-the-pocket carrying of mags is a future reload fail! Your mag should be stationary and oriented to your gun. Put your phone in your pocket, for when seconds don't matter.

I carry it loose in my front pocket with my keys. Cell phone, chapstick, and loose change in the other front pocket. I carry the pistol IWB with my small leatherman directly in front of the holster for a little extra visual coverage.

I've tried it with the mag in the side pockets in my "carpenter's" jeans, but it's really hard to get to with the other hand. Not real easy opposite hand access in a front pocket, but I found the leg pocket was worse. YMMV.

That's why I'm thinking in the SmartCarry rig. That way, it is directly in front. It's reachable with either hand. I'll always know where its at and how its oriented. It don't occupy the pocket I carry a gun in. I wont accidentally try to stuff my flashlight into the magwell of my pistol instead of grabbing the spare mag. What about that?

Guest 1eyedwillie

Shima:

You say you pocket carry. If you carry a single stack pocket gun, check out the double mag wallet holder here:

Holster Shirts

(Look farther down the page from the holster shirts)

I carry a Kahr MK9 in my front pocket and two 7 round spares in the wallet holster. Put the holster in your "weak side" back pocket. This holster is only good for single stack mags though. If you have a double stack mag like a G26 or similar, this wallet holster won't work.

The good thing about it, it keeps the mags upright and ready to grab with the off hand for quick reloads. It's a little less convenient than a belt holster, but gets a little faster with practice. My opinion is its not a good idea to carry a mag loose in the pocket. Too much chance for contamination, knocking rounds loose, and its too hard to get to. Many people have commented about Kahr mags losing the top round often, but I have not had that problem carrying this way. Anyway, this is just one option. YMMV.

Right now, my pocket gun is a weak side J frame revolver in a kydex Aholster. I'm about to get a G26 to carry in a strongside pocket Aholster, Crossbreed Supertuck IWB, or Galco ankle glove so it sounds like the back pocket mag wallet wouldn't work for me, but thanks for putting that out for some of our Kahr and 1911 guys that might read here.

Hi:

I use a nylon web folding knife pouch on my belt weak hand side.

I have also used pants and shirt pocket.

Priority #1- your weapon

Priority #2- your extra ammo

Priority #3 thru #100 -everything else

Jimmy

That's why I'm thinking in the SmartCarry rig. That way, it is directly in front. It's reachable with either hand. I'll always know where its at and how its oriented. It don't occupy the pocket I carry a gun in. I wont accidentally try to stuff my flashlight into the magwell of my pistol instead of grabbing the spare mag. What about that?

The Smartcarry sounds like a pretty good option. Probably as easy if not easier access than in a pocket.

I've considered getting a generic nylon belt holster from Lowes or similar to carry my flashlight and spare mag in, but I'm yet to convince myself that I want that stuff hanging off my belt. I subscribe to the KISS concept and more stuff is just more stuff...

Guest Bronker
So maybe the SmartCarry rig with my spare mag in it or the J frame in it. At least the spare mag can't shoot me in "the Junk.":D

My vote. What I often do...

Guest Bonedaddy

:hiding:Unlike a lot of right handers, I carry my wallet in my right rear pocket, so I often carry a spare mag in my left rear pocket. It's easy to get to with either hand and faster to get to than the BUG in my boot. I don't have to take my eyes off the target or lift a pants leg to get to it. My left front is already full of keys, money, etc... My right front is hampered by my gun, cellphone and leatherman. So left rear it is unless I just feel the need for 2 mags then I'm carrying a mag pouch @ 9 o'clock, horizontally, with the exit to the rear and the mags properly positioned so I don't have to turn'm to slap'm in my gun. But all that is just in case we become festooned with ZOMBIES!

Edited by Bonedaddy
misspell