Smith and Wesson model 36 with 3" barrel.

I have been looking at an old Smith and Wesson model 36 with a 3" barrel, nickel plated. It was made in the 1950s. It is in excellent condition.

he's asking $500. Would this be a gun I can shoot and carry or would this be a gun to display and leave to the grandchildren? I'm thinking about making him an offer. This is one sweet revolver. A new one will run you $650-700.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as +P.... call or email S&W with your model and dash number and they will give you an answer. A model 36 is a steel frame; you should have no problems. I’ve had mine for over 30 years and use +P in it with no concerns. I pretty sure I called them years ago and they told me it was okay. It gets carried more than my semi autos.

That’s one of the things I like about S&W; just pick up the phone, they will talk with you about anything.

New ones are that high because they are part of the “Classics†line. (Bringing back old guns because people will pay more for them thinking they are the real deal)

The 3†is kind hard to find. I wouldn’t pay $500 of it unless you want to pay a premium for the 3†barrel. You can still find Model 36’s for around $300-400 if you watch. I don’t know if the new 36 “classics†have a lock or not, but the pre-locks will hold better value.

It would be either, and I'd much prefer it to a new one. $500 ain't that bad a price if it is in very good condition. The 3" usually command a premium over the 1-7/8". Is it a square or round butt?

Greg points out a good question. A round butt 3 inch barrel is pretty rare. Will bring a higher price. Try shooting 148 grain wadcutters it.

Fun to shoot.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Guest Plainsman

I inherited a 36 from my grandfather rather recently. I don't know a lot about the gun, nor the engraving. I can only assume that it was a job done by S&W. The gun itself is in pretty good shape. The pictures are terrible, but would anybody have any info on a gun such as this??

SN852310.jpg

SN852308.jpg

I inherited a 36 from my grandfather rather recently. I don't know a lot about the gun, nor the engraving. I can only assume that it was a job done by S&W. The gun itself is in pretty good shape. The pictures are terrible, but would anybody have any info on a gun such as this??

It's a great thing!! Probably pretty valuable. I would recommend contacting S&W to see if it is a factory engraved piece. S&W does factory letters just like Colt.

Kind regrds,

Leroy

Guest Republican

Buy it. I consider a 3" revolver almost a perfect all purpose ccw. 3" is long enough to be accurate and still easy to carry/conceal. Like everyone else said, they are hard to find.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try and make a deal tomorrow. I'm not sure how much this revolver is worth but I know that this gun store is usually $50-$100 dollars higher on their guns. I'll start by offering him $400, then go from there. I checked it out last week. I've had my eye on it for months. Revolvers just aren't selling well. Everyone wants plastic semi-automatics. This revolver is a honey! I will post a picture of it if I'm able to make a deal.

Springfield 19!!, That is a good looking engraved Smith. Smith and Wesson has a full time historian named Roy Jinks. You need to get him to write you a letter regarding the gun. If it is a factory engraved piece, the letter will be worth many times it's price. I sure hope you have the correct grips for it, as those are for a later model.

Guest Plainsman
I sure hope you have the correct grips for it, as those are for a later model.

Sure don't. It had aftermarket grips on it when I received it. There is no telling where the original grips are. I ordered those from S&W to try and bring it back to "original" as best I could. I had no clue that the original grips were different. Thanks for the response. I"ve got another thread on this as well. I didn't mean to hijack the original thread, my apologies.

OK I bought it. It came in the original box with all the original papers and manual. As soon as I can I will post a photo. It's got one spot on the cylinder pin. It has not other marks, no holster wear, I looked over the gun with a magnifying glass. It has been fired but not a lot. It's cylinder is tighter than my M85 was out of the box. I hope to be able to shoot it tomorrow. I'm going to have a shoot off between my Taurus M85 and the model 36.