kel-tec pf9 p11 9mm pistols input please

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

looking for a decent functioning smaller conceilable 9mm pistol for the wife and selling the bersa 380.

what are the kel-tec 9mm pistols like to shoot, are they reliable too?? managable recoil?? and I am curious if the sights are plastic or metal, if they are plastic can they be chinged rather easily, one bump with a plastic sight and no more sight.

also what do these cost typically, as the msrp on firearm mfg websites often don't mean much as to what the cost is for one

Edited by 1817ak47
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rockbottom12

i have the keltec pf9. it is smaller than the p11. sights are plastic but this is not a real concern for me. how does it shoot? it kicks hard, harder than my p64 however it is fairly accurate. the only issue i have had with it is learning how to hold it to avoid hitting the magazine release.

Ok, here it goes:

PF-9 is easy to shoot, reliable after break-in, and recoil is sharp and snappy (not for everyone). Sights are plastic, but they aren't going to come off with 1 bump unless your definition of bump is "tossed out a moving car at 50 mph". P11 is wider, so the recoil is less sharp because there is more surface area to transfer the force to your hand. It is also heavier so that helps. The PF-9 is drop safe, where as the P11 is not. I have not shot the P11 but from my experience with the PF-9, the P11 should be more pleasant to shoot.

Bottom line: I recommend the PF-9... that is IF she can manage the recoil, at least enough to practice occasionally with it to get proficient. It is not like you have to put hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through it every day, it is carry gun -- not a range gun. If you want a combo carry and range gun I'd look at the XD9sc or Glock 26, both will be much more comfortable to shoot as well as more fun to shoot and could easily double as range guns as well.

my main pistol is a xd9 service model aka 4"

That being the case, you have a nice range gun as well. The XD9sc would be a great option for her (albeit larger, heavier and more expensive) the manual of arms and mag compatibility etc. would be an advantage of the XD9sc and XD9. Otherwise, I'd go PF-9. My dad loves his PF-9, I'm working with him to get him accurate with it but it is just a matter of getting used to the long trigger take up.

Either P-11 or PF-9 -- both are fine little pistols. The PF-9 is thinner and easier to conceal, and the trigger pull is lighter. The P-11 is perhaps a bit more reliable, but heavier, with a pretty tough trigger. Both are more difficult to shoot than the Bersa.

+1

both are pretty snappy due to their weight. I have had both and both were reliable. at least for me.

Guest Republican

The p11 feels a little better than the pf9 as it is slightly larger. P11 also has better sights instead of just the bumps. Pf9 is easiest to conceal. I lean to the p11 unless you just need a really small gun for concealed carry.

Guest IzzyIsaac

shot a PF9 last week another board member had at the range and it was super snappy..i was thinkin about getting it for my lady...let's just say i am not thinking that any more. cant comment on reliability or anything else about it

I carry a PF9 in my rotation. I had some extract problem but a new extractor, free from KelTec, fixed that. KelTec customer is great. It is not a fun gun to shoot, like most lightweight guns are not. My wife dislikes it, prefers her Ruger LCR. I worked the mold marks from the grip and trigger area and that made it much more comfortable. It is very concealable, easy to forget you are carrying.

The early PF9s had some issues that KelTec has corrected.

They can be had for $300. more or less.

I like it.

oldogy

Shoot the PF9 with +P 124 grain ammo off-hand, weak-hand one-hand, fast. If yoy can handle it that way then keep it. Also don't forget to get a Keltec trigger shoem, use 2,000llb two-part epoxy and then tighten the shoe's allen screw. Shave a little off the toe with your dremel or file. Take a bicycle inner tube and make a grip sleeve out of it. That will make you an everyday all ways save your a.. pistol.

P11, we got 2, my wife picked hers. She loves it (go figure), I thought it was ok, so I found a used one, still think they're a real handful. With that long trigger pull, like a sunbnose, you're not going to pull the trigger with out meaning to. Both ours has been 100% reliable with over a thousand rounds through them. 10 + 1 is like having 2 j-frames in your pocket. Not range guns, but 100 rounds once a month will do. If you have other guns to shoot, shoot them first. The long hard pull will have you touch'n off most other guns before you're ready, if you shoot the P11 first. You could do worse , but for a really small 9mm that's relatively inexpensive and a lifetime warranty, that says made in the USA, well they're alright.JMO

Edited by Ae-35
spelling, yeah I know.

The P11...now that brings back pleasant memories. This was the first handgun I bought, and I still have it. I have put about 1500 rounds through it. Mine has plastic sights on it that did slip out of the slide so I put some red locktight on there and they are there till death do up part. It is accurate and dependable after about 200 rounds.I had a couple of failure to feeds. I recommend only using the Kel-Tec factory mags, and not to buy after market pro-mag Smith and Wesson Magazines for it because they are cheap and will jam constantly. It has a very stiff and long trigger that takes a lot of getting used to. It will never achieve groups like a 1911, but for self defense purposes it is adaquate. I put a stainless steel guide rod in mine which I like to think helped my accuracy, and installed a belt clip on the side so I can just tuck under my waist band like a gangster. For the value I don't think they can be beat, and a lot of people don't give them the respect they deserve. My gf shoots it quite well and she is afraid of anything that goes bang. You can pick a brand new one up for 299 for the black frame and black slide at PDO off Watt road in the Lenoir City/West Knoxville Area he had one in stock on Friday, or if at Gander mountain for about 339 or 349 I think if they have them in stock at Gander.

My PF9 has worked with everything I have fed it. Reloads, WWB, blazer brass etc. It also worked well with 115 and 124gr +P which the manual says you should not make a habit of shooting through it. But it is ok to shoot +P occasionally.

I had a p11. Mine broke with a fairly low round count. I found it really hard to trust it afterwards. I thought it was really snappy to shoot. I sold it and bought a Ruger p345. It would rather shoot the 45 over that little 9mm. If you do decide to get one, take a little time "cleaning it up." you might want to do a little work on the ramp, and get the molding lines off the trigger for sure. Personally, if it were for my wife, I would probably keep the Bursa. She will be able to shoot it more accurately, and will find it better behaved. I know it is less power, but I would take an accurate shot over a sloppy, more powerful shot anyday.

If you do decide to get one, Silver's Firearms in Cleveland has the best prices of anywhere around and is a good guy to deal with. Silvers Firearms

Guest 1817ak47

well I was given a decent price for a lightly used p11 and I will try it and see how we both like it, I kinda want a 9mm that isn't as big as my xd9 SM that I really like but I think will sometimes be a little big for carry. for hte price I am given worst case I will lose my time and ammo shot. I will likely get a pf9 later on, like that better than a 380 lcp style pistol due to the different caliber.

I've had two PF9's and a P11. The PF9 is a far better gun than the P11. Trigger is MUCH better and it handles easier, IMO, than the P11. Like everyone has said the recoil is snappy, but nothing really bad. It's not a range gun, but a little practice shouldn't bother you too much. I always started my range time with the PF9's and then went to my larger guns. Made them feel like .22's. A lot of fun. Do get the trigger shoe for either model and the trigger will be a whole lot better. All 3 of the KT's I had have been 100% reliable.

I had a p11. Mine broke with a fairly low round count. I found it really hard to trust it afterwards. I thought it was really snappy to shoot. I sold it and bought a Ruger p345. It would rather shoot the 45 over that little 9mm. If you do decide to get one, take a little time "cleaning it up." you might want to do a little work on the ramp, and get the molding lines off the trigger for sure. Personally, if it were for my wife, I would probably keep the Bursa. She will be able to shoot it more accurately, and will find it better behaved. I know it is less power, but I would take an accurate shot over a sloppy, more powerful shot anyday.

If you do decide to get one, Silver's Firearms in Cleveland has the best prices of anywhere around and is a good guy to deal with. Silvers Firearms

Checked out his website he has alot of good deals