Armatix handgun uses wristwatch as the safety.

TNTitan

Weird.

Armatix pistol / wristwatch combo tells time... to stay put

-from endgadget Jan 31st 2010

armatix-pistol-01-31-2010.jpg

Armatix has apparently been working on its so-called "smartgun" concept for quite a while, but it's now finally shown up at the Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT, naturally) with its first actual product: a .22-caliber pistol that relies on a wristwatch as a safety. As you can probably figure out, the gun will only unlock itself when its in close proximity to the watch, which sends a "wireless arming signal" that, of course, also activates some green LEDs for good measure. Previous incarnations of the company's concept also relied on a fingerprint ID as an additional safety, but that seems to have been left off this production model, which will run €7,000 (or $9,700) when it starts shipping next month.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How close is 'close proximity'? Would it be possible to shoot it one handed, on the side without the watch? Seems like if it could function when that far from the watch (2' or so) it could still be used against the owner if it was lost in a struggle. I feel like I've heard of this before, designed to keep your own weapon from being used against you.

Interesting concept, though.

Guest Sgt. Joe
wonder who will get it first for nearly $10k?

So he did say $9,700.00 for a .22 :P:eek::eek:

How many really nice pistols, AR's, AK's, rounds and yearly memberships can be bought for that many duckies.....?????

I wont be buying one that is for sure :D I am a bit crazy but not near that much.;)

I hope they did not manufacture a whole lot of them as I doubt they will sell many.

Although I do find that type of technology rather interesting.

Why not just make one that requires an embedded body chip, one that also senses when the thing is pointed at you rather than away?

Ahhh One day....?????.....