new 243 thoughts please

fastbs

i have a cheap remington 770 243 youth and have got the bug to step up to a nicer rifle. i like playing long range and use it for yotes to deer. the old 770 is an accurate sub moa gun; got the youth model cause i pack through the woods a lot. other than the sloppy bolt and plastic parts i really have no complaints about it. i have the 770 sold to a buddy for his son whenever i find what i want.

now my delima. the heavy barrel models really strike my fancy but like i mentioned earlier i carry it a lot so weight is an issue. i'm thinking about a remington 700 varmit for the heavy barrel and having it cut down from the 26" barrel to 22ish or just getting the little model 7 which will probably be better for my use. although it sounds like i'm stuck on remington i'm open to any suggestions. trying to stay under a grand for gun and glass.

please throw them at me.:)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Browning X Bolt .243, and I love it. I have the hunter, which is light enough. The trigger is great out of the box. Great recoil pad, and great removable mag.

I had to put a Jewel trigger in my 700 before I was happy with it. That added 200 bucks to the cost of the rifle. I hear that Savage has the best stock trigger, and they tend to be real accurate.

I've got a 1970's 700 and its one of my favorite rifles, the 243 is almost a do it all caliber. I reload for it so that realy helps with the versatility .If I was getting a new one I would take a look at the tikka t3 lite, they are light and the bolts are as smooth as they come. The savages with the accu trigger are nice to, I've got a 10fp in 308 thats a tack driver but its heavy and you will probley want to change the stock as soon as you get it. There factory synthetic stocks are crap.

since i've been asking around a lot of people seem to be savage fans to. any thoughts on them?

Many attest to the accuracy of the Savage, right out of the box. I have a Savage model 10, chambered in .243, which is more like a youth model in length and weight. I like it so much that I'm looking for another just like it in .223... just cause I want one!

Many attest to the accuracy of the Savage, right out of the box. I have a Savage model 10, chambered in .243, which is more like a youth model in length and weight. I like it so much that I'm looking for another just like it in .223... just cause I want one!

Now thats a positive comment. :D

I'm bad about getting something and even if i like it, i probably won't get another one just because i've already had one. I have to really like something a lot to want another one. So far the only gun i've regretted getting rid of and is on my want another list is an air wieght 38 special.

Edited by fastbs
i can't spell
Guest BJEC1248

I have a Savage .22 w/accu-trigger & that trigger has ruined me, all the triggers on my other rifles now feel like crap, compared to it. I was going to buy another Savage in .308 or '06 to get the better trigger; w/the accu-trigger & accu-stock & detachable mag, they were in the $600+ range IIRC. then I stumbled across a Marlin XL-7; it has a blind box mag, an annoying 2-position safety & the stock is nothing special, but it has a knock-off of the accu-trigger & it was $300 NIB at Dick's. I've seen posts by guys who are buying them at Academy for $259. I haven't got to shoot mine yet, but the guys on marlinowner.com swear by them.

since i've been asking around a lot of people seem to be savage fans to. any thoughts on them?

I have some very nice hunting rifles. I'd put my Savage on par with any of them, especially in the smaller calibers. Mine are all .2 something rifles. I have very little experience with their medium cartridge rifles, but have no reason to think thet aren't just as good. CZ also makes a good rifle.

If you want something durable and tough Ruger rifles are good for that. However I will warn you their triggers are not so good. Mine have all been reworked to make them really good.