7.62x39 ammo pricing around Knoxville

Guest Macedawg

Guest Macedawg

i just picked up a norinco SKS a couple of weekends ago and am wondering if anyone knows who has the best prices on ammo locally..unfortunately i missed the gun show last weekend and i'm supposed to go shooting in the next weekend or two and i'm looking at buying 500-1000 rounds..i've ordered several things from cheaperthandirt.com and they have the wolf military classic for $239.99 per 1000 but i'm not sure how much s/h would be and if that would be cheaper than buying locally and paying taxes..thanks in advance :D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locally in my area the cheapest 7.62x39 ammo is Academy's Monarch. Here it runs $5.69/20 rounds.

Online, I've had decent pricing and great service from Ammunition to Go. The link below is for the 7.62. 1000 rounds of Bear Bear is running $199. Shipping to Nashville on an item like this is around $18-$20.

FMJ AMMO : Ammunition To Go

Also Aim Surplus has some good deals as well.

P.S. on my personal experience with Wolf military classic, I had 3 rounds out of 20 that didn't fire on the first primer strike (which is very heavy on my SKS). Not likely to buy anymore. Never had a misfire out of the Monarch ammo.

Edited by Trekbike

I haven't seen any 7.62x39 ammo locally other than hunting type cartridges, and those aren't cheap. If bulk plinking ammo is what you're after, I'd suggest searching online for the best deal. Some places offer free shipping. I've not have any issues with various iterations of Wolf ammo in my Yugo SKS.

edit... just remembered, a coworker was selling bulk Wolf ammo for a good price locally. If you're interested, I'll PM contact info.

Guest Macedawg
Locally in my area the cheapest 7.62x39 ammo is Academy's Monarch. Here it runs $5.69/20 rounds.

Online, I've had decent pricing and great service from Ammunition to Go. The link below is for the 7.62. 1000 rounds of Bear Bear is running $199. Shipping to Nashville on an item like this is around $18-$20.

FMJ AMMO : Ammunition To Go

Also Aim Surplus has some good deals as well.

P.S. on my personal experience with Wolf military classic, I had 3 rounds out of 20 that didn't fire on the first primer strike (which is very heavy on my SKS). Not likely to buy anymore. Never had a misfire out of the Monarch ammo.

thanks for the link :D

I haven't seen any 7.62x39 ammo locally other than hunting type cartridges, and those aren't cheap. If bulk plinking ammo is what you're after, I'd suggest searching online for the best deal. Some places offer free shipping. I've not have any issues with various iterations of Wolf ammo in my Yugo SKS.

edit... just remembered, a coworker was selling bulk Wolf ammo for a good price locally. If you're interested, I'll PM contact info.

if the price is right i'd definitely be interested :cool:

Wolf 7.62X39 seems to be running $7.99 for boxes of 20 in most places I have seen that actually have it in stock - and that would be mostly at Gander Mountain of High Prices and Dick's Overpriced Sporting Goods. To be fair, though, even the few smaller LGS that have a box or two seem to be charging pretty much the same. At least that is down a little bit from six months or so ago. I haven't noticed anywhere selling it by the case, lately (seems like all they can get goes out on the shelf to sell as individual boxes.)

Guest Macedawg

so far i've put about 50 rounds of brown bear thru it with no problems..my buddy bought some wolf military classic i might try it and make sure it doesnt have any problems with that..i'm leaning towards either 1000 of the brown bear from ammunition to go or 1000 of the wolf classic from cheaper than dirt they're about the same price :D

Guest TnTaurus

Just saw some Winchester white box at wally world for $14/box of 20...they had about 30 boxes....Also had some 40 round boxes too , maybe 10...

I picked up 4 boxes of Remington UMC 9mm myself @ $12/box , they had about 30 or so left....